• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1" height difference between left and right front - What gives??

Standing back and looking at the front end of my 65 Conv today, it seemed like the front left and right sides were not level. I measured and my left side is 23" to the wheel arch opening and 24" on the right side. ALL components are new, upper control arm, lower arms, GT springs shocks. Within the last 30 miles (6 months :sad ) I had the front end aligned and all checked great. I made sure the ground was level, and measured both after rolling fwd and back (to make sure toe in would not effect measurements.).

I don't want to break into the suspension since I just got an alignment, but is there a component(s) that is usually suspect. I'm thinking springs are not matched in stiffness, even though I bought them together.

Shouldn't the alignment shop have noticed?

Thanks for the help.

You must consider all four corners of the suspension. If a rear spring is weak, it will effect the opposite front corner.

Also, if you torqued things down with anything not on the ground, that can change things too.

AzPete,

Thanks for the quick response,

Both Coils and both Leaf springs are new. Specifically what items should I loosen and re-tighten on the ground as a precaution.
I assume the fwd end of the leafs, I have roller perches up front.

Just a thought, but do you have one stock fender and one Reproduction unit? I noticed that repo fenders i was going to use on my car, the wheel arch was higher. One of the many reasons i fixed the originals.

I have always been told to torque all suspension parts with the weight of the car on them, front and rear. That is a good point on the repo fenders also.

Besides the wheel arch, measure something else like the corners of the front frame rail. See if its structurally level, and maybe your problem is just cosmetic.

Thankfully I have no reproduction sheetmetal, although neither fender is original to this car. Visually the front end looks off. I will measure the frame tomorrow. On Saturday I will loosen up the suspension and see if things get better. I only have 75 miles on the suspension so far.

"AzPete" said:
I have always been told to torque all suspension parts with the weight of the car on them, front and rear. That is a good point on the repo fenders also.

It's better to drive 3-4 miles with slightly undertorqued suspension to allow it to settle, then torque the LCA and forward rear spring eye bolts with the full weight of the car on wheels.

"Midlife" said:
It's better to drive 3-4 miles with slightly undertorqued suspension to allow it to settle, then torque the LCA and forward rear spring eye bolts with the full weight of the car on wheels.
Wouldnt this require another front end alignment once the car settles? Assuming of course that is the issue.

Yes. That's why an alignment is about the last thing to do when setting the suspension.

I'll let the suspension "settle" for 30-40 miles this weekend and check again. I have no issue having to get the alignment rechecked if indeed things even out. I would have thought if this turns out being the problem the alignment shop would have caught the 1" difference in height during the original check.

Alignment shops most likely don't look at the ride level. Just put the equipment on the car, align it, send it out the door. Nothing says the body has to sit straight for the wheels to be straight.

I like PraireBronze response and that is what I would try first as much of a pain in the arse as that would be. Compare both front springs once they are out. If that fails you could have my SWMBO and just let her sit in the passenger seat all of the time. :beat fd

if yours is like mine, she wouldn't need to sit in it. mine knows it all anyway, so could just tell him whats wrong with the car.... sight unseen :lol

naw, actually i got a good one this time, think i'll keep her :vic

I know this may sound like a silly/stupid question, but are your front springs installed properly?

You definitely wouldn't be the first person to install them incorrectly.

With roller perches it supposedly doesn't matter (just learned this recently) whether the bottom of the spring terminates inboard or outboard, but are both of yours installed the same way.... both inboard/both outboard?

It gets worse..... sorry.... are you sure your springs aren't upside down? Yes, it's been done before.

It's always better to check for the easy stuff.

"daveSanborn" said:
I know this may sound like a silly/stupid question, but are your front springs installed properly?

You definitely wouldn't be the first person to install them incorrectly.

With roller perches it supposedly doesn't matter (just learned this recently) whether the bottom of the spring terminates inboard or outboard, but are both of yours installed the same way.... both inboard/both outboard?

It gets worse..... sorry.... are you sure your springs aren't upside down? Yes, it's been done before.

It's always better to check for the easy stuff.

I'll check the springs. I do recall making sure each spring is butted up against the "tab" on the perch. I have the plastic isolator on the top of both. I could swear the front end looked "normal" 6 months ago.

I had to work 15 hours at work today, so first thing tomorrow I will be checking the whole front end.

Back