• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1- or 2-piece rims??

66gt350

A while back, I bought a set of used TT-II's. They are 16x8's with 4.5" backspacing. They fit great on the back, but up front they rubbed the upper control arms. Now, I want to get a set of 16x7"s with probably 4" backspacing up front. When I went to the tire shop, he asked if the rims I have are 1-piece or 2-piece rims? I didn't know, so I had him price out both. The two piece were about 20-25 bucks more per rim than the 1-piece. I get home and look at the rims and it looks like there's a weld right behind the spokes, so I'm assuming that I have the 2-piece rims.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage of having 2-piece rims? Is there a big difference in the two types? Could I have the one piece up front and 2-piece in back?

Thanks

daveSanborn

Is there any advantage/disadvantage of having 2-piece rims?

For street use, no not really. One-piece wheels, in theory are stronger and that's about the only difference.

Is there a big difference in the two types?

Um, yeah. The one-piece wheels are cast from "one-piece" of aluminum... and the two-piece wheels aren't, but are instead welded together.

Could I have the one piece up front and 2-piece in back?

Yep.

abrahamfh

"daveSanborn" said:
For street use, no not really. One-piece wheels, in theory are stronger and that's about the only difference.

What would the benefit of having a 2 piece be?

AzPete

I don't see it as a benefit.....just a different way wheels are made. Some wheel styles have the same face design and are mated to a different width 2nd half to allow for different offsets. The company can make a million of the faces and throw together what ever back spacing and width the customer orders.

66gt350

Just got from the tire shop, and what they said the big reason for the 2-piece is for making custom backspacing. Where the 1-piece is made in the more typical sizes. So, since I need 4" backspacing, it's a 1-piece rim in my future.

AzPete

You two really need to make your on line disagreements more exciting........over wheels....come on now.

abrahamfh

:guns :2guns :doh :pop

Too funny. You too are awesome. Hope everything is going well for you guys up up up in the real Northern CA. LoL. Hope to see you both at MITM.

2ndgen

"abrahamfh" said:
What would the benefit of having a 2 piece be?

Although probably not applicable for the type of wheels you are using, on some racing wheels the two piece designs allow you to replace bent/damaged rims...

-Rory