• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1 piece oil pan gasket?

gwstang

Hey guys, I am going to pick up the 1 piece oil pan gasket tomorrow to re-install the oil pan. I did find the oil pump dist. drive sitting off to the side..ughh. I need to know if I am supposed to use the little half moon seals that go on the bottom of the timing cover and the rear main or remove them for the one piece gasket? Thanks.

"Ponyman66" said:
Remove them. They are an integral part of the one piece gasket.
+1 here

any pic of how the shaft was located on top of the oilpump?
The shaft wasn't inserted in the oilpump ??

Thanks guys. I have already pulled the oil pump off last nite. I was changing the dist. to an hei type and when I lifted the old one up the shaft pulled out of the pump and fell to the side. I remembered why the shaft would not stay with the springy washer that is pushed up to hold it in the pump when the dist. is removed. The shaft is a very heavy duty type from arp and the spring washer did not fit it very well and slid down and let the shaft pull out...ughhh. That led me to the oil pan being pulled. I am going to put a snap ring or something on the upper part of the shaft to be damn sure it doesn't do that again. :rant

Well, I figured out why the shaft fell in. The spring washer was just torn up. Nothing left but the inner edge. It wasn't enough to keep it from coming out of the oil pump and falling to the side. I found another one in my treasure trove of disassembled engines and parts...lol. I adjusted it with the bfh so it had more grab to it and it is very tight now and should keep the damn shaft in the distributor where it belongs and not coming out with the dist. I love the 1 piece oil pan gasket. And those snap ups to hold the gasket in place are the kat's kabootle! (notice i made a funny of someone on the forum...lol). Thanks so much for the help on this everyone :bowdown

Don't feel bad about that shaft. You aren't the first person that's had that happen, and certainly won't be the last! LOL
My very first car was a 289-2v '65 Mercury Comet Caliente. I don't recall why, but I pulled the distributor on it. Guess what happened?! :roll Even though I was only 16 then, I would bet our expletives were very similar!!!

Back