• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1 Week ago SWMBO had our dog put down.

guruatbol

Always on vacation!
Well, I have been so busy I didn't post about this issue, but was thinking about it today so here goes some random thoughts about putting my dog down.

#1 - SWMBO had to do it as I am on the road still. I hate this.

#2- SWMBO had hit the dog with the Excursion a couple weeks prior and the Vet said she would be fine. Well Sandy (the Dog) chewed the staples out and had to be take to the Vet again and the first one was on Vacation. The second one said it looked like a real up hill fight for her, but after two office visits and a collar to keep her from chewing and a bunch of meds, the second vet told SWMBO it would probably be best to put the dog down. (I said that two weeks and $800 earlier.) From my perspective which is admittedly not the entire picture, I hate the way these crooks are operating. Play on SWMBO's emotions and take her for hundreds of dollars and then do what was inevitable!

#3 - SWMBO and the other dog are pretty broken up.

So, this Friday I will cook BBQ ribs and popcorn and have See's candy in remembrance.

Though I am sad, I am also pissed off at the Vets!

Mel

Firstly, Mel, I'm very sorry for your loss. I think we can all empathize with how you and Amber are feeling.

I've gone through similar experiences with vets. I, too, have been surprised by how some approach the prognosis and actions to be taken. I can tell you, though, not all vets treat this situation the same way. For your family, this might just be an unfortunate way of finding out you need another vet.

Mel, that's sad news to hear. I know our animals are part of our family, and it's tough losing a family member.

Hang in there.

Mel, sorry to hear the sad news. We had to go thru it 2 years back, but in that case our Vet. went thru all the pro's and con's and said we could either spend money and prolong the inevitable or just make the call.(She recomended the latter option ) Although it was a very hard choice, we were glad that they were up front about our options. Sounds like it's time to change Vets.

I'm sorry about your dog. :sad

I agree with others. Before I started being a stay home mom, I was a vet tech and worked for vets. Some can be greedy and act like they are God's gift to animal medicine, but others are very caring and understanding. It's important to have a good relationship with your vet, just as you would want one with your personal Doctor.

I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure you have many treasured memories to enjoy, and love up the other one!!!

We went through that exact scene two years ago with both of our dogs. We had one for 14 years and the other for 12. When the time came, the vets took us for everything they could. We ended up paying about $1500 each, and lost both of them within two weeks of each other. We won't even consider another pet until we can find a vet we trust...probably never until a member of the family becomes one.

Sorry to hear tha Mel. Remember the good times with your dog that passed and Sempre Adelante.

I will also be down when we have to deal with the passing of our two monsters.....

Man, sorry to hear that Mel. I know SWMBO feels horrible also - I accidentally hit one of ours years ago, it was tough.

Mel,
Very sorry to hear of such a loss. I have a very soft heart for pets. To hear of your situation with the vet is not uncommon now days. My daughter (Red's owner) works at a vet hospital and is currently enrolled in the Vet Tech program similar probably to what Kat has taken and she's always bringing home stories of new customers who want to switch to her hospital because of issues they have had with other doctors/locations.

Don't go too long without bringing home a new baby pet. That will lift your spirits big time.

Craig

Toni and I are very sorry to hear this news...like SacBill said
especially with you being away.

Our Miss Gypsy is coming to her 14th birthday in Sept
and our moving to NC and finding a new vet is concerning
(especially after your post).

yes...celebrate her life with the family when you get home !

Well, now that I am home for a day, I find all is well, except Max the remaining dog is 10 years old and a large dog at 80 pounds. She seems to be sleeping all day in one of the kids rooms and since none of the kids are home, she just stays in Cheyanne's room and I haven't heard a word from her. Last night, well, this morning early, she was on the floor on my side of the bed, I almost stepped on her getting to bed. She nudged me once I was in bed and wanted some attention.

She seems OK, but lonely.

We don't really want another pet because at some time we would like to travel and pets are tough to get care for out here in the boonies. Maybe a snake. Feed it a couple rodents and go for a couple weeks.

Hehehe...

I think later I am going to find Max and see if I can get her to play.

Mel

I'm sure she is lonely. Love her up!. Everyone that hears how we lost both of our dogs within 2 weeks of each other says that this is common, so love her up and help her to get through this tough time!

Back