• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

10" x 2" drums in place of 10" x 1-3/4"?

dm289

Is there anything special required to put 10" x 2" rear shoes and drums from a 1967 up mustang in place of 10" x 1-3/4" shoes and drums on a 66 8 inch?? Are the backing plates different?? Will it work if I use the shoes, spring kit and drums??? Thanks.. Dan

B67FSTB

The NorCal dude from Belgium
Backing plate is a "must have" to do the conversion IIRC.
Brake cylinder , brake shoes and drums are different with a 10 X 2 set up.

Jonk67

I'm going from recollection of last year and can verify this weekend but I swapped my 1 3/4" for 2" on a '69 9" but my 8" looked the same.

I did not have to change backing plates, I bought 10X2" shoes, raybestos drums for 10X2". The only other item that was different and prompted a trip to the parts store was the brake spring hold down pin that goes through the shoe. The 1 1/2" shoe pins were too short and the store had 2 other lenghts. I bought both and returned the box that didn't fit (I think they were for 11X2 1/2" shoes so they were too long TMR).

Using the 1/2" wider shoes and drums did not push my tires out any farther but I didn't bother to see what was different about the drums that allowed this. I think the 1 1/2" drums had 2" wide pad surface and the thinner shoes just didn't touch the entire width.

Jon