1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

16 year old voters?

Discussion in 'Politics, Guns, and a can of Whoop Ass!' started by Horseplay, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Horseplay

Horseplay I Don't Care. Do you?

There is an op/ed piece on the CNN website today making the case for lowering the voting age in national elections. The writer uses the example of teens affected by the Florida shooting to build his case. He takes several angles at the overriding ignorant concept that you can read for yourself that I will not try to replicate here.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/19/opinions/parkland-shooting-voting-age-opinion-douglas/index.html

One take away I had that I was not aware of is the change in local rules in places across the country that HAVE LOWERED the voting age to permit such teens to vote in local elections. Naturally, the places listed are all very liberal but I was still amazed it has and seems to be occurring. As a father of two who have passed through their teens and one just entering this scares the shit out of me!
    Who in their right minds can think this a good idea? Didn't one of those very same teens just lose it after getting dumped by his girlfriend and kill 17 people? I'd like to think we should try and engage persons who might be a little less reactive and a tad more reflective and dare I say, informed, to constitute our voting roles.

2. msell66

msell66 Burning Fossil Fuels Donator

Taking it to its logical conclusion...Babies not yet born should have a say in the matter since they are the most affected by death.

2016 gun murders = 8,200
    2014 unborn murders (abortions) = 652,000

Interesting list. No idea how accurate it is, but it popped up in a search. I know some will scoff at it.
    http://www.romans322.com/daily-death-rate-statistics.php

3. C6ZZGT

C6ZZGT New Member

By that list we sure spend a lot of time on guns/gun control

4. Horseplay

Oh no you don't. Let's keep on track for at least a few responses. I would think we can keep this one away from politics (at least to a degree) and just discuss the rationale of giving KIDS an equal voice in elections. Most of us here are fathers of kids (many now of voting age) who have perspective on the topic. I hold firmly to the belief the impetus of such movement is to expand liberal voter roles but that aside...does anyone really believe 16 year old kids should vote? Don't we already have enough of, and I'm being nice, an "under-educated", uninformed electorate?

5. msell66

Hell, 21 yr olds shouldn’t vote. I know some 40-50 yr olds that shouldn’t vote.

So, no. 16 yr olds should not be allowed to vote.

RapidRabbit likes this.
  6. kb3

kb3 Well-Known Member

I was going to say the same thing Mark did. There is no way my 18 year old was ready to make educated decisions in the polling booth. Now that he has had a bit more of life experience behind him, I think he is more educated and can make better choices. There is no way a 16 year old is prepared to make those type of choices necessary when voting. Let's face it, they would only emulate the opinion of their educators!

msell66 likes this.
  7. msell66

Problem with your posts is that no one can take you seriously with that stupid Avatar.

8. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon Well-Known Member

That's just what we need--little lumps of clay voting exactly the way their teachers convince them to vote! Voting age should be 25, not 18 OR 16.

9. RapidRabbit

RapidRabbit Well-Known Member

Sorry but at age 16 kids have no clue what the real world is like. So they are only going to vote what their parents or teachers tell them. Or they'll vote for the guy who wants to legalize weed everywhere and drop the drinking age!

I'm mean come on the little morons are stuffing tide packs in their mouths!

Most of my employees are high school kids and the thought of them voting scares the shit out if me.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

10. RapidRabbit

RapidRabbit Well-Known Member

....[​IMG]

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

msell66 likes this.
  11. turq66

turq66 Well-Known Member

Considering that the people elected when you are a teenager will still be in office well into your middle age years, it only seems fair that you would get a vote.

12. Horseplay

While pathetically all too often true, there are term limits which require persons to repeatedly win elections to remain in office. That still isn't addressing the real point that kids that young simply are not ready to cast ballots. In one example I read (I think SanFran) kids this young can vote in elections such as SCHOOL BOARD. Now before anyone says since this directly affects them it makes sense stop and consider reality. The overwhelming majority of kids would cast a ballot for Mr. Poop emoji if they could as opposed to someone credentialed to be in such a position. It's how our teen brains worked...remember.

13. guruatbol

guruatbol Always on vacation!

I read s study that said the human brain isn't developed until 25. The specific part of the brain is the part that helps you make rational decisions.

So, no they should not vote!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

14. PraireBronze

PraireBronze Member

Elected officials basically spend tax dollars. I feel you should actually pay taxes before you get to vote how tax dollars are spent, on what, and by who.

msell66 likes this.
  15. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, no 16 year olds pay any taxes. Nope nope nope. WTF do you call sales tax? Gasoline taxes? Have you checked your phone bill lately to see how much taxes are there? Sin taxes? And if, by chance, they get a job flipping burgers, they pay social security taxes and may have state and federal income taxes with-held.

Are you making an assumption that 16 yo's don't spend any money? C'mon...have a bit of common sense.

RapidRabbit likes this.
  16. msell66

And they get their money from mommy and if they do work, they get it all back (and more probably) come tax time.

17. PraireBronze

PraireBronze Member

(chuckle) I wasn't really serious, but I knew someone get all riled up about it. :rolleyes:

18. kb3

kb3 Well-Known Member

ok, based on your statements about 16 year olds, maybe our vote should be weighted by the amount of taxes we pay. I can tell you for certain that when my kid was 16 he paid no state or federal income tax, but did pay use tax. Mind you most of his support came from his parents.

PraireBronze and msell66 like this.