• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

18x9 front and 18x10 deep dish bullitts

Fst Blk

Got a trade brewing on some deep dish bullitts. I'm trading a set of 95 5-spoke ponies for these. Only problem is that I'm getting three. I'll pick up another 18x9 for the front when I'm ready. Now the questions.
1. Front 18x9 has 245/40/18... How is this gonna fit. I now have to work a ps setup in lol
2. Rear 18x10 has 275/35/18... how is this gonna fit.
3. I'm unsure of the backspacing or offset, but I think the 18x10's are 6.3 backspacing and +24mm offset and the 18x9 have 5.94 backspacing w/ a +24mm offset. How is the backspacing and offset gonna match up to what I need to make them fit correctly?

Bill

I've got 17x9.5" with 5.5" BS on the rear and a 275/40/17 Tires with a section width of 10.9"
There is basically no extra room in the stock wheel wells. My fenders are not rolled however, and I have a Lincoln Versailles 9" rear which is narrower than a stock 67 axle.
I hope this helps a little
On the front I have 16x7" with 4" BS, so I can't say how the 18x9's will fit.
I can tell you I tried a 17x8" with 4.75 BS and 245/45/17's on the front and they wouldn't work, needed more BS to fit inside the wheel wells (those were my old rear tires).

Attachments

• scan 207.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 95
Thanks Craig. Searching around here it looks like there are a few guys that are running a 275/35/18 in the rear with 18x9 wheels. And some even running 10.5 wheels with 315's. I think with a spacer I'll be ok in the rear. The front is where my major concern is. On Dodgestang's wheel chart it shows a set of 18x9 on the front of a 69-70 Stang with stock suspension, so the 67-8 are the same so I should be able to run them with maybe a 1.5 spacer.... Maybe. I can't put them on to see if they fit because I have no front suspension or rear suspension for that matter lol.
Bill

"tarafied1" said:
Well I guess I should drive mine over there then...

I never thought of that :pbj We've got too many reasons to finally get together :thu
Bill

Thanks for the links, I think I have read everyone of them lol. Nobody seems to mention the backspacing or offset of the fronts when they run a 18x9. Several people are running a 245 either in a 17 or 18 inch variety, but most are on 8 inch wheels. Really hope that extra inch doesn't make that big of a difference.
Bill

In my opinion it really depends on how low you have or want your car. If your tire is going to be close to being tucked inside the fender, then you will have issues with that wide of a rim. If you have the tire far enough from the fender that during a bump it won't hit, then you'll be fine. You will want a net backspace of around 4.5" or 4.75" max in order to clear the ball joint and UCA. So if you have about 6" of backspace on the front wheel, then you'll need a 1.5" or 1.25" wheel spacer. So, regardless of wheel width the inner face of the wheel remains the same due to the clearance issues with the ball joint/UCA. This basically makes the outer face of the wheel stick out an inch further on a 9" wheel compared to an 8". I think if you stick with the 245 (which many of us with 8" rims run), the section width will be the same but the side walls will be pushed out a bit further. I can take some more pics of my 17x8 setup on my mach if you need them, assuming you've seen the ones I've put in my wheel thread. My tires are pretty close to the fender lip

I've seen your pics. Looks great btw. I'm almost to the point where I think I should buy some 17x8 for the front.
Bill

I was in the exact same position as you. There are some great prices on ebay for 18x9/10.5 bullitts with the 245/275 tires and I was highly leaning towards them, but couldn't swallow the fact that I'd end up with front wheels that didn't fit. Couple that with the fact that the sellers on ebay that have these bullitt wheels say their 8" wide wheels they sell are a different shade of gray and different wheel lip shape. With that, I chose to go the safe route and get the wheels from American Muscle. The shade of anthracite is lighter than what I would have liked, which the ebay wheels look darker and my preferable color.....but overall I'm happy. The rear tire fit is a whole nutha deal, but I knew what I was getting into there when I ordered them :thu

Wheels are polished instead of chrome like I thought. I polished one up and it looks NICE. I've got them sit under the car right now and they do fit with the body 12inches above them lol. I think the polished will be easier to match. I'm about to the point where I just think I'll pick up two 17x8's as the front 18x9 has some major curb rash. Looks like I traded for two rear wheels. The tires looks really good though.
Bill

It may be beneficial for you to make up some kind of 1.25" spacer out of wood or whatever and clamp the wheel to the spacer on the hub (plastic clamps obviously) and take a peek at how the clearances are on the back and front face of the rim.....so that you can answer your own question about a 9" wheel fitment on the front.

Back