• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1964 1/2 serial 100211 5c

Yes, I inspected it yesterday, it's the real deal. The owner started a thread on concoursmustang.com , in addition to the VMF one. It's not really my place to disclose any further information than what the owner has done on his website and on the forums. One thing the owner posted on his website today is an image of a pre-production material decal up under the dash. This is the same decal found by Nate Miller when he restored the 140 car. I am exchanging information with Jim Smart and also hope to talk to Bob Fria soon. The owner of the 211 car is a heck of a nice guy and has a new found enthusiasm that I hope he continues to enjoy.

"Sluggo" said:
Charles,

Is the car safe from the detractors?

Yes, thank goodness it is in a safe place now. After I inspected the car at the barn, they took it to an undisclosed location, which I told the owner I didn't want to know about!

Very cool. How did the owner of the car just "up and suddenly" realize what he had? Did someone else inform him? It's a great story and hopefully we'll be able to learn more.

I am honestly glad to hear it's the real deal simply because the guy that owns 212 or whatever and went on the attack is a prick from what I could tell.

Pretty sweet. Im glad the 212 guys get their due. On one of the links posted to the vmf, didn't the owner mention that he heard about 212 at on speed during on of the barret jackson auctions or something? Any way, pretty cool he figured it out.

So if I understand this correctly, the significance of this car is that it is such an early production number or made pre-release of the commonly known 64 1/2 cars?

Are all the issues by the 212 guy due to the fact he thought he had the earliest one?

I have loved these cars since the 70s and the family has had them since 65. I was three when I rode in a silver 65 FB. But I have to say that I must me uneducated about the significance of the 212 and 211 car. It is interesting and I am happy to see a nice guy and a guy that is a real Mustang guy interested in preserving history has such an early car. I would hate to see the, it has a six and needs a V8 swap guys get their hands on it.

I guess I am going to have to read more about the real early cars.

Mel

Before 211 was discovered, the owner of 212 was of the belief that he had the lowest unit number with an 09C scheduled build date in existence. As we have found out, 09C was the first day of production for retail-sale Mustangs... basically, the first day of mass-production for the Mustang at Dearborn. Any car with an 05C scheduled date is considered to be a pre-production car and would not have a regular retail destination DSO.

I think it was written somewhere that the 212 camp knew that 211 had been made by Ford, but they didn't know if it still existed or if it was an 09C car... so they contended that the 212 car was the earliest "known" car in existence with an 09C scheduled date. We now know that 211 was a retail destination car with a Charlotte (22) DSO and an 09C scheduled date.

It's all quite fascinating the more one delves into it! The good news is that the owner wants to share information about the car as we learn more.

As far as restoring the car, that is something the owner will have to decide. It might be interesting to clean up the car and leave it like it is. With some careful work and an eye for preservation, the car might could be made presentable like it is. On the other hand, there are some rust issues, so restoration might be a better option.

How would restoration change the value?

Do we know what the earliest car that has not been restored and was sold retail is?

That would be interesting too.

Mel

What does that pre production tag say about the car? Could that mean it really was the first to roll over from pre to actual production?

Ahhhh, didn't know that tidbit of info! All this early production stuff is new to me, never paid it any attention before.

"guruatbol" said:
How would restoration change the value?

Do we know what the earliest car that has not been restored and was sold retail is?

That would be interesting too.

Well, 211 is now the earliest known and it is Unrestored! About 85% of the car is still original paint.

I honestly do not know if/how restoration would change the value. It would be kind of neat to see if the car could be brought back to a respectable level just by a careful cleaning and minimal restoration work. I suppose the rear quarters, trunk floors, LH front floor pan and bottom of the battery apron could be repaired without having to do a complete tear-down.

"silverblueBP" said:
What does that pre production tag say about the car? Could that mean it really was the first to roll over from pre to actual production?

Good question. We don't know exactly what it means. The tag actually has on it "PRE-PRODUCTION MATERIAL." According to Bob Fria, there were a batch of "leftover" shells brought over to the DAP from Allen Park and put on the assembly line to be built March 9th. I suppose it might be possible that 211 was one of those, but that is all speculation at this time. One thing I can guarantee you about any information having to do with 211 is there will be no "guessing" games and all information discovered will be presented as-is.

W T H???? You're going to let out all that "secret" information??? No silence pact with the early production lords???

Seriously, it sure is cool to learn all this info, I'm glad you got to inspect the car and really glad that the 211 owner is a nice, stand up guy, unlike some others out there.

Any response yet from Nate Miller,Randy Paddock,Tony Begley or any of the other #212 supporters since Charles has verified the car.

"silverblueBP" said:
Seriously, it sure is cool to learn all this info, I'm glad you got to inspect the car and really glad that the 211 owner is a nice, stand up guy, unlike some others out there.

I second that, well said, couldn't agree more!

I'm not sure what I'd do with it if I had a car like that.

Mine is a plane jane '66 coupe so I have modded mine some while trying to keep it looking somewhat original in style / look. But mine is just a '66 coupe and they are a dime a dozen.

But with a rare one like that it'd be a little more difficult. I'd probably have the best pro I could find carefully restore it as little as possible keeping it as original as possible while cleaning it up some and making it more presentable. It's not like it's one you would be driving around town anyway.....

I did notice though that the dash pad appears to be missing from the car in one of the pictures.

"mcfly" said:
Any response yet from Nate Miller,Randy Paddock,Tony Begley or any of the other #212 supporters since Charles has verified the car.

There were a couple of responses from Brian Cirello in the new post on VMF, but they were...moderated. I'd sure like to know what he said in his attempt to crap all over the new thread.

Frank

Back