• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1965 Fastback restomod

The frame rail was notched and epoxy primed inside

402.jpg

403.jpg

Patch welded in place

404.jpg

405.jpg

Ready to install the right inner tub

406.jpg

Tack welded in place

407.jpg

408.jpg

409.jpg

The outer wheelhouse did not match the inner. We had this same problem on the 65 coupe and the outer wheelhouse was from a different vendor. Brian cut it in two than test fit the front

410.jpg

411.jpg

He cut the rear section than welded it together

412.jpg

After taking the B pillar apart we found it was beyond repair.

413.jpg

They only make them for a coupe so he had to make a patch

414.jpg

415.jpg

416.jpg

Brian is lining up the sheetmetal with screws for the last time after he drilled holes for the plug welds

424.jpg

Starting to plug weld

427.jpg

428.jpg

429.jpg

430.jpg

Brian attaching the roof. Now he has to repair some rust in the corners and where the drip rail was.

442.jpg

can I ask a question? you don't have to give me exact numbers but I'm curious how many man hours are in this FB (or will be when it's done) and if it's for a customer, how did they justify what it must be costing to save this one? No doubt Brian is a metal master and probably pretty quick but still must have an awful lot of time in all the fab work. Surely you could have found a better car to start with. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see it saved. Just wondering why someone would foot the bill on this car.

"Fast68back" said:
We need some pictures of those other two FB's in the shop....

The 66 in the background is Modified Mustangs & Fords project car that you will be able to read about in up coming issues. After we finish with some rust repair we will be installing a TCI front and rear suspension, fill in the cowl vents, add NPD flares and remove the drip rails.

The other one is an Eleanor project from a young couple that brought us the car from Ohio.

"tarafied1" said:
can I ask a question? you don't have to give me exact numbers but I'm curious how many man hours are in this FB (or will be when it's done) and if it's for a customer, how did they justify what it must be costing to save this one? No doubt Brian is a metal master and probably pretty quick but still must have an awful lot of time in all the fab work. Surely you could have found a better car to start with. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see it saved. Just wondering why someone would foot the bill on this car.

The owner bought this car and thought he had a good body. The only rust free body you will find is a Dynacorn. You would be surprised to find out how much rust is in all these Mustangs under the sheetmetal since there was so much bare metal in all the inner structure.

We have over 550 hours in it so far but that includes custom subframe connectors, cowl filled in, and mini tubbed.

"GPR" said:
We have over 550 hours in it so far but that includes custom subframe connectors, cowl filled in, and mini tubbed.

Wow....with labor rates in the $80-100 an hour range that is $45-55K in repairs so far. I thought I got carried away in my rebuild, there is no way that makes sense in any world. Don't get me wrong, I too am glad it is being saved and thoroughly enjoy watching the progress....but holy cow!

"kb3" said:
Wow....with labor rates in the $80-100 an hour range that is $45-55K in repairs so far. I thought I got carried away in my rebuild, there is no way that makes sense in any world. Don't get me wrong, I too am glad it is being saved and thoroughly enjoy watching the progress....but holy cow!

I wish my labor rate was $80 - $100 ours is $45

Brian has the roof welded and did away with the drip rails.

443.jpg

The welds were ground down and than he added a patch over the factory lead joint

444.jpg

"GPR" said:
The welds were ground down and than he added a patch over the factory lead joint

I was just getting ready to ask tht question. Will you do similiar for the quarter to roof lead joints?

"70_Fastback" said:
I was just getting ready to ask tht question. Will you do similiar for the quarter to roof lead joints?

Yes we will make a patch for all the lead joints.

Do you have any pics that you could post of a finished car with the drip rails removed? I am wondering how you finish the under area with the window seals and trim, etc...

Back