• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1966 Mustang needs a little work

"Horseplay" said:
This would have been a great opportunity to write up a review of the new Dynacorn vert body.

Great work!

At the risk of opening up the same old can of worms...

This is still the same unibody stamped with the VIN at the Ford factory. (presumed) A Dynacorn body would require moving a fender apron or three.
If my my car were hit this hard, I would go this repair route as well.

The rear torque boxes had to be removed because there are rust holes in the inner rocker

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

The toe boards had to come off and also the top of the torque box because of rust.

68.jpg

This is what was inside the torque box

70.jpg

71.jpg

The first patch

73.jpg

"GPR" said:
The first patch

73.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I'm interested in seeing how a convertible is constructed since I plan to reinforce the body on my Coupe with convertible inner rockers and a one piece seat pan. Those subframe connectors look home made. Were they butt welded at the bend or is it a full pen with an insert?

Robert

"66benchcoupe" said:
Thanks for the pics. I'm interested in seeing how a convertible is constructed since I plan to reinforce the body on my Coupe with convertible inner rockers and a one piece seat pan. Those subframe connectors look home made. Were they butt welded at the bend or is it a full pen with an insert?

Robert

Butt welded

More sand and rust

75.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

Brian has the top of the torque box welded back together after epoxy priming the back side.

77.jpg

WOW
I still cant believe the insurance company didn't write this one off. Your not doing all the work for free and parts aren't cheap either. Does make me feel better about driving mine though. I have mine insured for $30K. I hope thats enough.

I'm just making an assumption here that this is a combined restoration / insurance repair. When done, the car will be worth quite a bit more than before it was hit given Brian and Rusty's attention to detail.

"RyanG85" said:
Like you wouldn't be it back and repair it even if they did total it........
yeah, mine was pretty far gone when I started so it would have to be really really bad to abandon. I have collector car insurance with an agreed value of $30K, if it were wrecked beyond that I guess I would have to buy it back from them

That is looking nice!

"tarafied1" said:
yeah, mine was pretty far gone when I started so it would have to be really really bad to abandon. I have collector car insurance with an agreed value of $30K, if it were wrecked beyond that I guess I would have to buy it back from them

That is looking nice!
Same here! I would do almost anything to resurrect it.

Brian finished patching the left inner rocker

84.jpg

Test fitting the floor and it fits great!!

83.jpg

Fitting the toe boards

85.jpg

Last patch on the right rocker

86.jpg

87.jpg

Now he is making the last patch on the left side. Everything is epoxy primed first

88.jpg

89.jpg

Weird question here, but... From the first pictures it looks like the owner doesn't have high-back seats installed. And it also looks like he/she took a pretty good hit. How bad off was the driver and/or passengers? I'm wondering if there were any neck injuries with the lack of headrests in that car?

"1967marti" said:
Weird question here, but... From the first pictures it looks like the owner doesn't have high-back seats installed. And it also looks like he/she took a pretty good hit. How bad off was the driver and/or passengers? I'm wondering if there were any neck injuries with the lack of headrests in that car?

The driver did have a sore neck and will have high back seats when it's finished.

Back