• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Build called Electra

Haha, I actually live 5 mins from Steve so yes..Very local. My truck is actually a GMC but they all look the same. I actually have a 78 but all the other guys have 67 - 71s. Some really nice stuff getting put together. We have monthly work days where we go to one local members house/shop and work on each others projects. If you guys ever one to come your more then welcome even if its just to shoot the shit

We all have builds etc on 67-72chevytrucks.com

awesome! Might take you up on that.
"JRANGER" said:
Haha, I actually live 5 mins from Steve so yes..Very local...
And now that you mention it, I think I read that somewhere...

Save the coupes!, My 68 DSO also stated it was New Orleans bound. Looks pretty Solid in the first pics! I'll be watching your build, looks like fun.

Haha, I am definitely going to try to save the coupe! She is pretty solid so far...The underside looks good but until i get the carpet out i wont know for sure.....The underside is coated and only a few rust spots are apparent but that doesnt mean much.. Will find out for sure in a month or so

Well booo!!! After looking at the car today I discovered a problem. The frame is rotted out on the passenger side just below the core support. UGH no clue how to deal with that so time to google.

All right so measure the rot on the frame rail and its about 10". So back to CJ Pony Parts and $35 for a 29" section on inner/outter frame rail.. Even has great reviews for being strong steel.....

Then I replaced my temp sending unit and oil pressure sender...Well no luck...The Oil Pressure guage moves but just a little, the temp never moves but rus said it started too at one time during the trip but wasnt consistent. Ammeter gauge doesnt seem to work either as it just sits in the middle so basically my gas and speedo gauge work...

So I also bought an the some new voltage regulators:

Scott Drake Constant Voltage Regulator Improved Design

Voltage Regulator Autolite Black

So my electrical system should get a little boost even if it doesn't fix the gauges

Also figured out what rims ill get when i get to it. Need new tires so it will be sooner then later on these
BG%20Rod%20Works%20Gasser%2017x8.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided I would do some small stuff on the stang even though my knee has been irritated since going back to work but I couldn't stay still. I installed some crappy stock speakers out of my old cobalt in the rear to replace the completely blown out Kenwood speakers. Nothing special but i wired them up correctly unlike the Kenwood speakers in it and even though one is kinda blown i have music! So I decided to take her for a drive. Started to push the clutch down and POP! The clutch goes to the floor and doesn't come back up. ERG WTF! I though i just screwed something up or broke something major. After doing a little goggling and not finding anything I decided to look under the dash. A small coddle pin broke and the pedal was just separated from the push rod. So initially I put it back in and bent it but i was a little worried about it. Luckily SELLERSRODSHOP up the road said he thought he had one and to come grab it. Cool guy!!!

This morning I got back to it! I pull out the dash pad(Which came out in pieces), removed the cluster, and just checked some other stuff out. There are some cut wires and some other wires that just need to be covered. I was happy to see that the dash wasnt rusted out under the dash pad. I was kind of worried since the windshield leaks a bit and the another 67 I checked out in ATL was rusted out like crazy.

JackPot!!! Just in case I had some bad gauges i thought it smart to get a few extra. Well I did one better. $137 on ebay scored me a Chrome Cluster Bezel loaded with AutoMeter Speedo and AutoMeter small tach in the center. Those 2 gauges alone are worth the money so i feel pretty good :)

Cant wait to get them

Well started to mess with the new cluster tonight only to figure out someone changed this thing up a bunch.. the IVR was no where to be found so no gauge worked at all! The cluster light didnt work nothing... So I took it apart and swapped wires from my other cluster and put the black bezel on. Its still a bit wonky and the Oil Pressure and Ammeter still dont work.... But in good news the Temp seems to be working now...New IVR finally shipped out today so maybe that will help...Also the connector may need a lil work..Had to wiggle it a bit to get the lights to come on

And im all like BOOM!!!! lol So I got home today and my Voltage Regulator for the car and for the cluster finally showed up. I quickly installed them and then started to think. On the ride home the oil blew out the dipstick so I knew i had oil pressure. So I checked the oil and ill be damned if there was barely any oil in there. Well go to Advanced and realize adding oil is just as expensive as their $19.99 special, So I grab some oil and a filter. Well who knows when the last oil change was as it was nasty black and their was surface rust on the filter. It was damned hard to even get the filter off!! Either way i got the oil changed and it takes awhile but eventually it starts showing oil pressure on the gauge. So all my gauges now work!!!!!! Woohoo Can you tell im in a good mood?

What did you use for oil? Todays oils are not sufficient for older flat tappet cammed engines. You need to find oils that have a higher zinc content like Valvoline ZR1 or a zinc additive like ZPPDplus (http://www.zddplus.com/)

Really? I put Castrol GTX 10w40 in...I have to say my Oil pressure gauge is not working again. It was working some but its very weird. I ordered a Manual Pressure Tester Gauge so I can see if im actually getting oil pressure or not. Do you recommend what you mentioned above? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thanks for all the help yet again! I love learning about this car...

Re: Re: 1967 Build called Electra

"JRANGER" said:
Really? I put Castrol GTX 10w40 in...I have to say my Oil pressure gauge is not working again. It was working some but its very weird. I ordered a Manual Pressure Tester Gauge so I can see if im actually getting oil pressure or not. Do you recommend what you mentioned above? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thanks for all the help yet again! I love learning about this car...

Yes zinc and phosphate levels were decreased in newer spec oils due to increasing the lifespan of catalytic converters. Down side is it causes flat tappet and some high lift roller cams to wipe lopes, as it is a lubricant that is needed in these motors. Might want to look into cam-shield.

http://www.cam-shield.com/

You can also use an additive like this...

Rislone Oil Supplement with Zinc/ZDDP Treatment

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_7660002-P_x_x?gclid=CICbxZ36zbYCFQVV4AodQRIA2Q

The Zinc and Phosphorous (ZDDP) treatment will put back into new oils what the older oils contained to properly lubricate and protect gasoline and Diesel engines. Product Features: Makes newer oils backward-compatible with older engines, Designed for gasoline engines 1997 and older, Lubricates and protects older gasoline and diesel engines

Product Features:
Prevents Camshaft Wear
Reduces Piston Scuffing
Increases Engine Life

I feel your pain on the frame rail. I was cutting spot welds on the core support to remove it. When I cut the strut rod brace loose it completely pull loose from the frame rail from rot. I ended up replacing the whole frame rail.

Bill

Thanks for the info guys! Glad i havent been running her much other then some testing for the pressure. Ill get some zinc additive for the engine.

You guys are awesome

LOL!!!!!

Well the good news of the weekend...I attached my manual oil pressure gauge and 50PSI showed up right away. So clearly I have a gauge issue. So thats good to know and while i was at it I added the zinc additive to the oil. :pbj

Back