• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Build called Electra

Some moderate light photos due to storms

Attachments

• 20131117_070336.jpg
    20131117_070336.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 191
  • 20131117_063840.jpg
    20131117_063840.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 173
  • 20131117_064115.jpg
    20131117_064115.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 158
"Grabber70Mach" said:
That's looking good, are you pleased with the outcome?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I am pleased with the color but because of the confined space i messed up and got too close in some areas causing runs. Plus I turn the gun up too far and spilt paint on the door causing drips. Also kinked the hose up one and spit onto the cowl. So hose areas I need to address and will be putting on another coat after a little work

Well I pulled her out today and will let her sit in the sun for a day or so before I wet sand and put her back in the booth. She looks great from a distance but the closer you get the more you can see the runs and such. I also removed the plastic floor and will replace that before putting her back in. That way less dust. As of right now I am thinking tomorrow afternoon ill start the wet sanding with 400 grit and then clean her up and put her back in. That way wed afternoon i can put the final coat on her.

Attachments

• 20131118_083839.jpg
    20131118_083839.jpg
    797 KB · Views: 138
  • 20131118_083917.jpg
    20131118_083917.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 20131118_085705.jpg
    20131118_085705.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 36
Is it possible that most of it can be wet sanded out? I remember when I had a truck painted it had a lot of runs and imperfections in it, kinda worried me. But my friend that owned the shop told me not to sweat it, they would come out. He was right when they finished you couldn't even tell where they were. I give you big kudos taking on a task like you did.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

They can be wet sanded out but its a satin finish so if i buffed it after it would be more glossy. I only put on 2 coats so once I wet sand it out I will give it a final coat and hope for no runs!

For the most part, I feel good about my first time paint a car :)

Couple things that might help now and long term.

For the runs, don't try to sand them out at first but rather use a nib file to cut them down. You'll have much better success and be less prone to sand down/through in other areas.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/steck-s ... 10522.aspx

Second, as long as you are going to lay down more paint, take those door handles and antenna off first. Otherwise, in no time you will likely get some paint cracking and coming off do to flex at those joints. Nothing would drive me crazier than seeing chipped paint around the door handle every time I went to open the door.

"Horseplay" said:
Couple things that might help now and long term.

For the runs, don't try to sand them out at first but rather use a nib file to cut them down. You'll have much better success and be less prone to sand down/through in other areas.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/steck-s ... 10522.aspx

Second, as long as you are going to lay down more paint, take those door handles and antenna off first. Otherwise, in no time you will likely get some paint cracking and coming off do to flex at those joints. Nothing would drive me crazier than seeing chipped paint around the door handle every time I went to open the door.

Thanks for the info

Well with it sitting out in the sun I couldnt do nothing with my staycation I used to work on the car. I jumped inside with a respirator and goggles. Grinded on the welds, wire wheeled, prepped the passenger side pans, and painted them with rust encapsulator

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 28
Windshield is in..... Was a royal pain in the ass.. I got beading compound everywhere including my hair. Some parts of the gasket tore and it took me all day.. However it is in, and it is sealed. I still have to put urethane on it against the glass but on the rear I may just put it in dry and them inject the beading compound after today. I had to use gas to wipe it off the glass and the car and now im worried that it may of messed up the paint but i cant tell as of right now...blah

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 28
"JRANGER" said:
Windshield is in..... Was a royal pain in the ass.. I got beading compound everywhere including my hair. Some parts of the gasket tore and it took me all day.. However it is in, and it is sealed. I still have to put urethane on it against the glass but on the rear I may just put it in dry and them inject the beading compound after today. I had to use gas to wipe it off the glass and the car and now im worried that it may of messed up the paint but i cant tell as of right now...blah

sometimes its easier if you call a brother down the street... even better yet one that spent 25 yrs putting those things in on a daily basis... just sayin'... :dun

lol...Well I still have the rear left so I may just get with you. The video's just made it look so easy i thought i could handle it....I WAS WRONG LOL!!!

Wasn't as hard as the front but the bottom corners of the rear glass were challenging. Got it installed though.

Got some new stuff :) New front Valance, Exhaust system, rear valance, and screws. Waiting on my chockostang disc break conversion kit as well.

Manage to cut a 2" deep notch in the front valance and get it fitted in. However the bumper bracket ripped out of the frame rail so i have to figure out about welding in a 10" of frame rail.

Attachments

• 999139_10153685056250521_1102394112_n.jpg
    999139_10153685056250521_1102394112_n.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 1601118_10153686066910521_662144775_n.jpg
    1601118_10153686066910521_662144775_n.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 114
valance looks good
index.php

I've considered that valance and the lower e nose. I think I want to try to custom fab one out of fiberglass. Start by building a wire frame and covering that with glass. I see it in my head, but actually making it work is a different tale.

Digging it :thum

Bill

Have you done glass work before? Its a royal pain!!! lol The wire frame idea works, i have done that with some mesh but others also get foam blocks and carve them how they want and such. The wire frame makes it a little hard getting it straight sometimes but it can be done. Just know your gonna need a lot of patience and bondo to get it smooth. Plus it gets expensive quickly

"JRANGER" said:
Have you done glass work before? Its a royal pain!!! lol The wire frame idea works, i have done that with some mesh but others also get foam blocks and carve them how they want and such. The wire frame makes it a little hard getting it straight sometimes but it can be done. Just know your gonna need a lot of patience and bondo to get it smooth. Plus it gets expensive quickly

Yeah, I know. Problem is, I don't want a front bumper. Everything you find uses one or if it doesn't requires a new hood. I see this crap and I get ambitious :rr
http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes/TK ... bumper-fab

Bill

Well havent updated this thread in awhile so i thought i would:

Retro Fitted 2002 Mustang Seats.
Painted/Dyed the seats
Installed 3 point Seat Belt setup
Painted on SprayDead Sound Deadener on the floors
Installed full 2" exhaust and then replaced the mufflers with Imitation Flowmasters
Got black Primer on the front Valnce
Re-installed headlights and turn signals
Installed the rear bumper

So basically I got it ready to drive to my buddies shop this weekend. We have a charity project we are working on for some lady and we are all going to go chip in and see what all we can get done on her old chebbie truck. Had to bring the stang for all the guys to see :)

Attachments

• 20140201_134134.jpg
    20140201_134134.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20140301_161216.jpg
    20140301_161216.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20140222_140853.jpg
    20140222_140853.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 28
  • primer apron.jpg
    primer apron.jpg