• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Dynacorn Fastback

We went to install the brake pedal and steering column bracket and it would not fit. The dash was installed wrong and had to be moved toward the firewall the bracket was 1" to short from lining up. We compared the distance from the dash to the firewall on my 68 Coupe to determine the dash was in wrong.

94.jpg

Something fits with just a little modification

The taillights fit after trimming the rubber seal a little

98.jpg

Once the holes on the fenders were elongated the headlight buckets fit

99.jpg

The amazing thing was after all the work on the door gaps the edge of the hood lined up with both headlight buckets from CJ Pony Parts. The Dynacorn headlight buckets have been on back order for over a month and I was told probably another two months before they would be available so we got them from CJ's. They are a little ripply and will require some blocking but they fit.

100.jpg

As I read each of these updates, I can't help but wonder how I would feel if I dropped that kind of coin on one of these shells and then had to do all this work just to get it to where you would expect it to be upon receipt. Given all that has had to be done so far just to get where parts could be bolted on, what would you put a customer labor cost to be if you were to do it for them? I'm thinking the total money spent would be better used restoring a "real" fastback.

"Horseplay" said:
As I read each of these updates, I can't help but wonder how I would feel if I dropped that kind of coin on one of these shells and then had to do all this work just to get it to where you would expect it to be upon receipt. Given all that has had to be done so far just to get where parts could be bolted on, what would you put a customer labor cost to be if you were to do it for them? I'm thinking the total money spent would be better used restoring a "real" fastback.

The big difference is you are not having to do all the rust repair. Once you do all the rust repair and fit the aftermarket sheetmetal your cost will be about the same or higher restoring a Mustang.

"GPR" said:
The big difference is you are not having to do all the rust repair. Once you do all the rust repair and fit the aftermarket sheetmetal your cost will be about the same or higher restoring a Mustang.
I figured that in my thought process but at the end of the day, even if you drop a few thousand more restoring vs. new body, aren't you ahead with the original in terms of value and simply "coolness" (can't find the word I want here)?

As long as there are still viable originals out there I think I would go that route. It is kind of disappointing that the new bodies seem to have so many issues. If/when you get your next one it will be interesting to see if it is better or worse in this regard.

We have been working on a couple of things I can't show at this time. A modified lower front valance and a future story in Modified Mustangs & Fords magazine showing a period correct looking hood latch with an under the dash hood release.

But I can show this

114.jpg

115.jpg

117.jpg

116.jpg

This is what Brian has been fabricating. It is an under the dash hood release. The hood required a lot of fabrication along with this latch that came off of another Ford. To find out all the details you will have to read the build story in an upcoming issue of Modified Mustangs & Fords magazine.

DSCN3664.jpg

We removed all the suspension now it goes on a cart to prime and finish all the the bodywork

DSCN3675.jpg

Read all about the under dash hood release install in an upcoming issue of Modified Mustangs & Fords magazine.

DSCN3873.jpg

DSCN3878.jpg

DSCN3876.jpg

We have been working on getting the fenders, headlight buckets and doors to line up

DSCN3745.jpg

The body was sanded down to bare metal and the next step is spray 2 coats of SPI black epoxy

DSCN3966.jpg

"GPR" said:
We removed all the suspension now it goes on a cart to prime and finish all the the bodywork

DSCN3675.jpg

:wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor :wor
:weas :weas :weas :weas :weas :weas :weas

The rear valance had a tack weld and also bolts.

DSCN4026.jpg

Instead of studs on the valance Dynacorn used 2 different size bolts and washers from inside the trunk and attached to clips on the valance

DSCN4029.jpg

We wanted to take off the rear valance to see what was behind it and just as I thought bare metal and surface rust

DSCN4031.jpg

DSCN4032.jpg

Looks like your just about over the hump. It gets to be a little more fun after the paint is on. Great job!

"B67FSTB" said:
Why not welding the rear Valance in place ??

I would do it if I did it again.

I did it on my car after epoxy priming everything first but the owner of this car wants it to look original.

We now have a new helper in the shop and he was busy sanding down to bare metal

DSCN4036.jpg

DSCN4037.jpg

DSCN4039.jpg

DSCN4040.jpg

I sprayed two coats of SPI black epoxy yesterday

DSCN4041.jpg

DSCN4042.jpg

DSCN4043.jpg

DSCN4045.jpg

DSCN4046.jpg

DSCN4047.jpg

Block sanded the hood and doors

DSCN4082_zps874de751.jpg

DSCN4083_zpsd2078b3d.jpg

Sprayed one coat of SPI black epoxy to seal than sprayed 2 coats of Slick Sand Polyester primer

DSCN4085_zps44879a45.jpg

DSCN4095_zps4f014b14.jpg

DSCN4094_zps9f565e92.jpg

Back