• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Fastback Resto Mod Build

I figured today would be an appropriate day to start this thread seeing as it marks my 2 year anniversary with my FB. This is here when I first got her home
fb.jpg

fb1.jpg

fb2.jpg

Got her down to a shell within the week with a little help from friends and beer
fb17.jpg

fb19.jpg

Started with the toeboards and floor but was held up by this mess DS frame rail which was cleverly covered up with foil tape and undercoating
fb51.jpg

fb35.jpg

after finishing the frame rail, tq box and extension i went back to the toes and full floor
fb95.jpg

fb152.jpg

Sweet QTR patch using screen and filler
fb186.jpg

Both QTRs, outer wheels, trunk floors, tail light panel.... pretty much the whole rear.
fb195.jpg

fb203.jpg

fb207.jpg

fb244.jpg

fb261.jpg

fb281.jpg

fb297.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved back up to the front end, replaced the front crossmember that was all smashed in along with the rad support
fb300.jpg

fb318.jpg

Did some other patch work around the front end, by the way all of this goes a lot more in depth if you follow the link in my sig. I then tackled the cowl
fb329.jpg

fb334.jpg

fb352.jpg

fb355.jpg

Then moved on to the rear inner aprons and installed a TQ box on the pass side
fb378.jpg

fb385.jpg

This brings us to about the end of september 2009

Up next came the TCI IFS

Hacked everything out of the engine compartment to make room
fb390.jpg

Welded in the frame supports and cleaned up the visible welds in the engine compartment
fb411.jpg

fb412.jpg

Up next was the crossmember and the a-arm brackets
fb413.jpg

fb423.jpg

fb422.jpg

Lastly the sway bar brackets
fb426.jpg

Getting to this point was a huge step, after hours upon hours of metal work it was finally "done" (at least everything i could find). It was now time to get all her cloths off and see what she really looked like naked, keeping my fingers crossed the metal work really is done.

I did the following in my fathers garage...... whoops!!! I can say i will never, never, never ever do this part of a restoration again. Next time this part will be farmed out. I spent about 2 months blasting sections then epoxy priming them, it was the nastiest thing i've ever done especially the undercarriage since i didn't have a rotisserie. On my back on a cold garage floor, felt like i was at a beach during a hurricane. This is what she looked like after all the mayhem and got the body reassembled.
fb551.jpg

fb552.jpg

fb553.jpg

fb554.jpg

fb555.jpg

Go her back to the shop and started and completed the final body work. Before the first coat of primer then after
fb556.jpg

fb557.jpg

fb558.jpg

fb570.jpg

fb571.jpg

Nice progress. So is she painted now? It shows a painted car in your earlier post???

Nice touch on spraying the inside of the cowl.

Thanks guys, yeah she's all painted now, a lot further down the road, i'm just blowing through the last two years in this post trying to catch up to where i'm at now, adding a little when i get a few minutes to spare. So far I have done all the work myself except for the upholstery which my girlfriends dad did, looks amazing and will post pics of that coming up.

Adding as time permits,

After blocking and getting the body arrow straight I tackled the interior and got some color on her
fb624.jpg

fb626.jpg

fb627.jpg

fb618-1.jpg

Then came the jams, interior of doors, trunk lid, hood, yada yada and engine compartment
fb658.jpg

fb659.jpg

fb677.jpg

fb678-1.jpg

fb678.jpg

fb679-1.jpg

fb683.jpg

fb684.jpg

fb686.jpg

fb685.jpg

Assembled and ready for final paint
fb687.jpg

fb688.jpg

fb689.jpg

Sealer
fb696.jpg

fb698.jpg

Base
fb699.jpg

fb701.jpg

Some lemans action
fb703.jpg

fb704.jpg

This was a little bit of a PITA, i did 2 different mid coats in the clear coat, i wanted a mid coat with both mini gold flakes and gold pearl in it to accent the orange, BUT, i didn't want the flake over the super white stripes so i had to mask back over the stripes, lay a mid coat of clear with mini gold flake over the orange, then unmask the stripes and lay yet another mid coat of clear with gold pearl over everything. Followed up by 3 coats of just clear.
fb705.jpg

fb710.jpg

fb712.jpg

Cut and Buff, I dry sanded it after this using the 3M trizact system, hit with a quick 1200 then 1500 and a final 3000. Then used the 3M 3 stage buffing system. She shines like a beaut. pics r after the 3000
fb802.jpg

fb804.jpg

Before final assembly i had to partly disassemble for "undercoating" which I decided to go the truck be liner route. Gives it a very clean look IMO.
fb813.jpg

fb814.jpg

fb819.jpg

fb821.jpg

fb824.jpg

fb828.jpg

fb822.jpg

After the bed liner went on it was time for final assembly, FINALLY! Still got some glass to polish/buy and same with trim but that will come as money permits
P1030207.jpg

P1030206.jpg

P1030205.jpg

P1030204.jpg

P1030203.jpg

P1030201.jpg

Lets see some suspension now, like said before went with the TCI IFS front end, should have upgraded to the "show" package since i went ahead and had everything chromed anyways, whoops!
fbsuspension5.jpg

fbsuspension6.jpg

I was lucky and found a powder coat that was almost a perfect match to the orange base from eastwood so i went ahead and powder coated the calipers
fbsuspension9.jpg

fbsuspension11.jpg

I may not have done the show upgrade but i did opt for the RideTech Airbag upgrade, she will have bags on all 4 corners. This is it all put together minus steering linkage
fbsuspension12.jpg

fbsuspension13.jpg

fbsuspension14.jpg

fbsuspension17.jpg

fbsuspension18.jpg

Next on the list was the AirBar 4-link and rear end. Always planned on doing a 9 inch but found out about a nifty explorer 8.8 swap which i could do at a fraction of the cost as a 9 with the bonus of plentiful parts in junk yards if i need anything. I did a whole nother thread on this build here http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/index.php/topic,11946.0.html This is the complete beast
fbsuspension71.jpg

fbsuspension74.jpg

fbsuspension75.jpg

I started doing the interior cab by covering up all that beautiful paint with sound deadener
fbinterior.jpg

fbinterior1.jpg

fbinterior2.jpg

fbinterior6.jpg

fbinterior8.jpg

While i was working on this the gf's dad was working on the upholstery. the originals were a pretty sad sight
fbinterior10.jpg

fbinterior11.jpg

We tore them down then i cleaned em up and pained them
fbinterior13.jpg

fbinterior14.jpg

fbinterior16.jpg

New burlap and also got new seat foam, the originals were long gone
fbinterior17.jpg

fbinterior18.jpg

Here is what he started out with, the leather was a perfect match to both the white and orange, the only thing it was missing was the gold flake and pearl
fbinterior19.jpg

And here is his creation
fbinterior20.jpg

fbinterior21.jpg

fbinterior22.jpg

fbinterior24.jpg

fbinterior26.jpg

fbinterior27.jpg

fbinterior28.jpg

blasted, repainted the tracks and reassembled
fbinterior32.jpg

I also had him sew me up a headliner, he didn't want to do it in the same leather because of sagging issues so we hunted down a vinyl that matched the leather to a T. i bough a new one so he would have something to go off of and a couple hours later this is what we had
fbinterior33.jpg

Installed
fbinterior35.jpg

fbinterior36.jpg

And now for some wire action. I went with the American AutoWire Classic Update kit which is a great kit, the instructions are a bit vague in parts but the quality is nothing short of excellent. wrapped about every square inch of wire in expandable nylon sleeving and used heat shrink tubing at every end. here is what i started with and what i ended up with, still have a few loose ends to tie up once i get the engine/tranny and a few other components installed.
securedownload.jpg

fbinterior83.jpg

fbinterior84.jpg

fbinterior85.jpg

fbinterior88.jpg

fbinterior90.jpg

fbinterior92.jpg

fbinterior94.jpg

fbinterior96.jpg

fbinterior97.jpg

fbinterior99.jpg

fbinterior101.jpg

fbinterior103.jpg

fbinterior106.jpg

fbinterior113.jpg

fbinterior114.jpg

fbinterior115.jpg

fbinterior118.jpg

fbinterior121.jpg

fbinterior124.jpg

fbinterior127.jpg

fbinterior128.jpg

Okay, that pretty much brings everything up to date, i'll add now as the progress progresses

Finally got all the plumbing done. I did all in stainless steel and used SS line clamps, think it all turned out pretty good
fbplumbing1.jpg

fbplumbing2.jpg

fbplumbing4.jpg

fbplumbing5.jpg

fbplumbing6.jpg

fbplumbing7.jpg

fbplumbing10.jpg

fbplumbing11.jpg

fbplumbing13.jpg

fbplumbing14.jpg

fbplumbing16.jpg

fbplumbing17.jpg

fbplumbing18.jpg

fbplumbing19.jpg

fbplumbing20.jpg

Nice work on the brake lines! Have you pressurized everything with brake fluid? I've heard that SS fittings are hard to fit the first time without leaking.

Thanks guys, yes the brakes are pressurized, the ss didn't give me a hard time at all. I just torqued them loosened them torqued them down again a few times, no leaks. And it is just the pic although it is extremely close i do plan on securing it somehow to keep it from rubbing.

Back