• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Fastback Resto Mod Build

In the midst of sorting out my own wiring mess, I'm rather impressed with your work. I am a little concerned about the use of the self-stick wire-tie mounts. I'm not so sure that is the best way to go long term due to adhesive failure. Constant vibration, temperature and humidity levels, etc. may cause early failure which would lead to loose sections of harness which could pose a threat of wire damage or, most likely (and annoying) "rattling" noises.

Those things use a fairly common pressure sensitive adhesive. Out of curiosity, I've asked one of our adhesive chemists here at work for his opinion on the application and expected long term success.

"Horseplay" said:
In the midst of sorting out my own wiring mess, I'm rather impressed with your work. I am a little concerned about the use of the self-stick wire-tie mounts. I'm not so sure that is the best way to go long term due to adhesive failure. Constant vibration, temperature and humidity levels, etc. may cause early failure which would lead to loose sections of harness which could pose a threat of wire damage or, most likely (and annoying) "rattling" noises.

Those things use a fairly common pressure sensitive adhesive. Out of curiosity, I've asked one of our adhesive chemists here at work for his opinion on the application and expected long term success.

Thanks and I'm actually 100% with ya on this. i'm not all concerned with the ones aft of the firewall but everything on and fwd of the firewall i'm most likely going to either replace with another type of clamp or, those self stick mounts have a hole in the center of that so that a screw or nut and bolt can be used.

"67FSTBKRestoMod" said:
Thanks and I'm actually 100% with ya on this. i'm not all concerned with the ones aft of the firewall but everything on and fwd of the firewall i'm most likely going to either replace with another type of clamp or, those self stick mounts have a hole in the center of that so that a screw or nut and bolt can be used.
Well the general consensus that came back to me from our engineers is pretty much in line with what seem to be your concerns. The interior use (stuck to the new, clean foil material) should fair very well as long as the run between clamp points is not too long and the harness has no slack between mounting points. It is very important to keep the harness taut on any run where the wiring is not laying on a supportive surface lest you allow motion which will slowly work to peel the adhesive free.
Exterior application is more tricky. Surfaces should be completely clean and free from oil, grease etc. All the same concerns as inside but now when factoring in the elements, engine heat, etc. the forecast for long term success is quite reduced. You're right to think you should go back and incorporate a mechanical fastener to insure longer lasting performance.
The last bit I was given was, "all adhesive applications like this will eventually fail".

Taking all of this into account, I think your plan is a solid one. The only other thing I might suggest is going back and adding additional mounts to some of the runs on vertical surfaces to reduce the space between them.

Spot on! since i've gotten her up and running/driving, taken her out for a good 10 hours or so of driving and...... everything on the firewall fell off, everything aft still holdin strong, i got the hardware today to secure those zip tie mounts permanently (counter sunk metal screws) and im also going to add more on the vertical surfaces as suggested. I'll be updating the post shortly with the progress been too busy with the car work and moving.

Very Nice! Keep up with the updates. I like the nice aluminum Master Cylinder. How is it without a booster?

Thanks lady and gents, well its been awhile since an update and i've gotten quite a bit done to her. Here is a quick update on the progress

windshield/wing windows installed
fb752.jpg

fb729.jpg

fb730.jpg

fb731.jpg

Couldn't wait on the 408 stoker so I picked up a running driving 289 w a c4 of craigslist for $450! Cleaned it up, threw on a rear sump oil pan and then popped her in.
TempEngine3.jpg

TempEngine1.jpg

TempEngine10.jpg

TempEngine12.jpg

Chip Foose Injector rims with toyo T1Rs. 18x9 rear 17x8 front.
fb754.jpg

Interior progress, most of this stuff has been sitting on the shelf just waiting to be installed so here is what i've gotten done so far, still need a lot of $$$ to finish it off
fbinterior136.jpg

fbinterior137.jpg

fbinterior138.jpg

fbinterior139.jpg

fbinterior140.jpg

This along with a lot of other little things got her to how she sits now
fb756.jpg

fb757.jpg

fb758.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

She's pretty much at a stand still for now, saving up my nickles and dime for the next addition, air system for the suspension, i'll update more as free time permits!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stunning, awesome, eye popping are a few adjectives that come to mind!

"67FSTBKRestoMod" said:
Thanks lady and gents, well its been awhile since an update and i've gotten quite a bit done to her. Here is a quick update on the progress

She's pretty much at a stand still for now, saving up my nickles and dime for the next addition, air system for the suspension, i'll update more as free time permits!

Car is bad a$$.

Wow really long time since i've given an update so here is some of the work i've gotten done over the last 8 months or so, first big project was the air suspension. went with the air ride setup but with viair compressors
fbsuspension80.jpg

wiring and pluming
fbsuspension81.jpg

fbsuspension83.jpg

fbsuspension86.jpg

I added two junction boxes on the firewall(once batt one ignition) to make installation of any other acc a breeze
fbsuspension87.jpg

fbsuspension90.jpg
fbsuspension92.jpg

fbsuspension93.jpg

fbsuspension94.jpg

fbsuspension97.jpg

fbsuspension98.jpg

and now the hard part, didn't want to just slap the valves/compressors in the trunk so i made a custom fiberglass platform for them. started with the skeleton using MDF
fbsuspension100.jpg

then added some metal plates and nut rivets for the components to mount to
fbsuspension101.jpg

stretched fleece over everything and stapled it down
fbsuspension102.jpg

fbsuspension103.jpg

then coated it in fiber glass resin
fbsuspension104.jpg

after this it was just like body work, filler, primer filler sealer base clear. i used the same white and clear coat with gold pear as i did with the rest of the car
fbsuspension108.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back