• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Hot Rod

"67 Fastback" said:
Are you planning to bond that scoop on the turn signal hood? I wondered if that cold be done and turn out alright.
Bill

Bill, We are cutting on that repop turn signal hood for practice. I have the original non turn signal hood that will get the fiberglass Shelby scoop after we know for sure what needs to be trimmed and where.

I thought so. All I got is a turn signal hood. I have went back and forth about buying a flat hood just to put a scoop on or getting a scooped hood.
Bill

Got two rear tires, (all I can afford for now) bought, mounted and balanced. They must be very "sticky" as most people who rated them only got 12,000 miles or so! Fine with me, they not going on a grocery getter.

We have been driving the car a lot more since the exhaust is on. Its NOT getting these tires and wheels yet, as we are burning the hides off my rollers!

Gotta have gauges. Been "trusting" the idiot lights and error codes. We are starting with this piece from Mustangs Plus. I want to put my mechanical boost gauge in the center, rest of the gauges will be electric. Not sure where I am gonna hide the gas gauge, but it won't be in this cluster!

Kinda like this final look:

This thing looks awesome! What upgrades are you doing to the mod motor? I see the blower on there, which one did you go with?

"68stang289" said:
This thing looks awesome! What upgrades are you doing to the mod motor? I see the blower on there, which one did you go with?

Thanks!

I bought the drive train from a totaled 03 Cobra. (8,000 miles) It came from the factory with an Eaton blower on it. I am leaving it as is for now as the car needs so much more to be safe and road worthy.

Original trunk Lid installed, I know it could not look worse. The plan is to get it painted this winter/spring, but want to get some miles on it to work out the bugs. I am not looking forward to stripping car for paint.

:cry

Any 67 experts recognize the black paint on trunk and what appears to have been on tail light panel?

Tail Lights installed and working. Added the "Chase" sequential mod to the 3 bulb kit. http://www.meter4it.com/

I'm no expert for sure, but I had a 68 that the paint code said had a flat black hood. Most likely painted like the pic below...
68CONV.jpg

does your car have a buck tag or anything in the paint code for two-tone? I know some have found with the ribbed tail panel option, that there were some painted body color and some a grey color. Even some painted like yours but I think they had the exterior decor option.

"tarafied1" said:
I'm no expert for sure, but I had a 68 that the paint code said had a flat black hood. Most likely painted like the pic below...
does your car have a buck tag or anything in the paint code for two-tone? I know some have found with the ribbed tail panel option, that there were some painted body color and some a grey color. Even some painted like yours but I think they had the exterior decor option.

No buck tag, but do have Marti and no mention of two tone exterior paint.

Got the rear bumper installed that John Anshutz gave me. Thanks John!

Installed the new dash cover and knee pad.

The wired switch on the floor board by the shifter is the Roll Control (line lock).

Heated up the original Cobra shifter handle and straightened it out for a more classic look. Also, installed the Hurst Que ball.

Installing the Auto Meter gauges is a delicate agonizing task, almost 6 hours total. (two of us three hours, me watching, Gary doing!)

BTW, some installs are through the front, we chose to hang them from the back.

On the three small gauges we removed the outer ring. (they fit better w/o)

Had to grind on the new lens cover. (hated that but had too)

Glued gauges to black gauge panel after alignment and setting depth.

The large ones fit ok with the trim ring. I preferred the Tachometer close to the shifter.

Yes, I know the gas gauge and volts gauge are missing. We are thinking radio bezel but maybe too narrow, I don't like the pillar gauge or the plastic ebay one. Have not decided yet.

The Cobra computer has an error code light. Gary drilled a tiny hole in the new bezel and glued a yellow lcd behind it. This is it illuminated.

"tarafied1" said:
are you going to have a console? I've seen gauges in the Shelby type console...

Factory console? No

When we did the engine/tranny install we raised the transmission tunnel a couple of inches. The tunnel is altered too much for a factory console and carpet. I really did not want a lower console.

We are still debating best place for the volts and gas gauge. (gotta have them!) May try to find a "smaller" set of gauges and use the original space in radio bezel.

First pic is the ebay offering.

Second pic is the black plastic Mustangs Plus radio/gauge bezel.

ah yes, I should have remembered the tunnel was modified.
I like the "idea" of the plastic bezel, wish they had a version with the chrome like the original. I think if you make one from the original will look best but hard to find gauges that small I bet.
I made a "radio delete" version but no gauges.

In my opinion, all those plastic bezels are junk. We just need a couple hours some day and we could make a couple aluminum inserts for the standard bezels. They could be polished or brushed when done. I already have the sheet aluminum.

"tarafied1" said:
ah yes, I should have remembered the tunnel was modified.
I like the "idea" of the plastic bezel, wish they had a version with the chrome like the original. I think if you make one from the original will look best but hard to find gauges that small I bet.
I made a "radio delete" version but no gauges.

Nice fab work. Looks really nice!

"janschutz" said:
In my opinion, all those plastic bezels are junk. We just need a couple hours some day and we could make a couple aluminum inserts for the standard bezels. They could be polished or brushed when done. I already have the sheet aluminum.

I'm down with that John! We have all winter!

"fordrule" said:
wow an awesome build. love the look of it

Thanks! More importantly, thank you for defending our freedom! (pm sent)

Finished gauges finally! Installed, wired and tested. First pic, the engine is running and gauges are registering.

Back