• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Mustang Coupe

phlegm

Friday afternoon.. no fires.. must be time for rambling!

I have a 1967 Mustang coupe, plain Jane. Lime Gold (color of phlegm) black interior, black vinyl top, no other options, was originally a 200/C4, I bought it without a motor or transmission as part of a his and hers set that a widow from Ellendale SD sold to us after her husband passed away. The other half of he set is now owned by my ex-step-brother it is a 1968 Coupe bright red, parchment interior, 200/3.03 with the hood with the inset blinkers. We bought the pair for $700 (total)... in 1993. Both have been stored inside a pole barn, his up on jack stands, my on flat tires ever since then.

When it was bought I was much younger (and dumber) after getting the car I immediately took off and discarded the passenger fender, passenger headlight bucket, bumper, and lower valance, I put them in a pile somewhere and they got recycled (scrapped)... dumb. I tore off the vinyl top because it was tattered and was holding moisture and I started to sand down the old paint. Somewhere in the mid 90's we bought a 1972 Torino 4dr (baby blue) just for the motor and transmission. After changing the headgaskets I bolted that 302/C4 into my '67. I completely rebuilt the brakes, new bearings, turned the drums, rebuilt the wheel cylinders, replaced all the internal hardware, I had received a C4 crossmember, driveline, and shifter linkage from my shop manager at the time (part time ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, and Suspension) and I cleaned and painted the engine bay. I created a simple loop for the transmission fluid, 2 barbed fittings, 1ft of high pressure hose and 4 clamps. The shifter was never hooked up because that was when I learned about the differences between column shift (the Torino) and floor shift (the Mustang) C4 linkages.. I also never installed a radiator or completed the wiring, the exhaust was a simple Y pipe that had been on the Torino, no muffler.. in '95 we moved to Colorado and during that time, my younger ex-step-brother pulled the motor and transmission to sell to his buddy (yes he asked first). When we moved back to ND, I started swapping in a 250/AOD, ran into a snag because I didn't have the right 164 tooth flexplate with zero imbalance. Neglected it for another few years while I finished college (yes, WAY older than average), bought a house, got married, had kids, wife started her own business. And now the kids are big enough that it might be fun for them to help, the 2yr old (almost 3) is already stealing my tools and has his own impressive collection of Mustang toys.

Sorry guys, but this is one of the only pictures that I can find of it that shows the color, and an inline 250 sitting in the engine bay. (still how it looks today)
1500-210313121302-10919618.jpeg

I know I have taken more over the years, 35mm and digital but be damned if I can find any to post, but I certainly don't want those guys in uni-tards on my post...

The needs to be drivable are relatively low
motor/transmission. (I have a bone stock '67 200/C4 sitting on my shop floor ready to go)
Passenger side headlight extension
Passengerside fender
Front Valance
Front Bumper
Both sides need quarter panel wheel well rust repair and a little in the trunk drop down area (considering using '68 patch panels to also remove the fake air intake vents)
Hood? (I have one, but its sort of banged up, could be workable still)
Tail light extensions (I may have a set of these on my '68 parts car, I need to check)
Tires and Rims, I bought a set of factory 14" 'appliance' rims last summer from Craigslist
tires_zpscb663a61.jpg

Anybody notice that the rims are 5 bolt, and know that '67 i6 cars are 4 lug? I am going to try and talk Dad into letting me scrap his '75 Granada (302/C4) and steal its 5lug suspension.

And when it gets done, it will again be some variant of Lime Gold, not normal LG though, that color is a tad flat. More a bright brilliant Lime Gold like 68fastwilliams
IMG-20120408-00520.jpg

That thing pops, still can't believe he has it up for sale...
I spent some time yesterday cyber-stalking his posts looking for more green and found one of his very first posts where he was asking about paint scheme options (wish I had photoshop skills...) found this thread. I would have voted for #4...
Posted this a while back on the VMF, need some fresh eyes and opinions
This was #4 for those that don't remember, or weren't here (like me)
troubleslime5.jpg

With only a couple minor changes.. I want a full white hood, all the way to the fender peaks, either a flat hood or a stock length '68 Shelby style with front openings, a set of Vintage 48's possibly powder coated white (on the fence on that one) and it has to be a coupe, not a fastback.

Eventually the goal is to build it for how I actually drive.. 250-350 miles per week down the same boring stretch of i29 to and from work.. its 25 miles posted at 75mph and no corners. I'd like to keep the RPMs low when 'at speed' so somewhere between 1400-1800 at 75-80mph.. Which is why I'm chosing the inline tractor motor instead of a high winding V block.

As of right now the eventual plan is working toward
300/turbo/mpfi/AOD/CC/AC/PS/R&P (manual windows)
5 lug, disc brake (SoT or Mustang Steve to use newer Mustang 13" rotors up front)
17" rims
high back bucket seats (3pt seatbelts in all 4 seats)

I plan on doing a lot of the upgrades myself, as cheap as possible. This car is not a huge priority to me (which should be obvious in that I have owned it for 20years so far)
I will build or perform the following
Boss Mustang shock tower reinforcement welding/plate additions (StangFix.com -- Shock tower reinforcement - Day 2)
Road Race/Boss crossmember/engine brace (StangFix.com -- Finished my Cobra Automotive-like 70 Engine Crossmember)
Adjustable strut rods (StangFix.com -- My adventure/process in homemade adjustable Strut Rods (pics).)
Subframe connectors (Modified Mustang & Fords -- Subframe Connectors Installation Do-It-Yourself and Save Cash)
Tubular Shock Tower Export and Monte Carlo Braces (StangFix.com -- Building a tubular Export Brace)
Torque Arm (rear torque arm)
A rear seat divider
Upgrade to a '72 22 gallon tank and add something like TankArmor

I haven't seen this car since last Summer and it was buried in the back of Dad's barn, and it may get pushed yet another year as I have a 63.5 Falcon Convertible (260/4spd) to work on also (in much better shape too) and this weekend I am going to go pick up my used 2 post car hoist that I bought from a Ford Dealership that I need to build on to my shop to use because my shop only has 9ft ceilings.. even if it gets pushed I will still continue to work on projects for it, but test them out on my '68 first and then put them into storage..

And I have to wait until this stuff melts, this was my driveway 3 weeks ago before the last 2 snowstorms.. the piles are taller and wider now..
IMG351_zps82b3e4db.jpg

They are already predicting record level flooding for my area... yay!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the first time I've heard lime gold described so perfectly. :part

Keep us posted on your progress and don't be afraid to let us in on your Falcon as well.

Oh the wonders of NoDak! This gentlemen, is why I moved to Texas.
IMG351_zps82b3e4db.jpg

Are you in Fargo? It seems like every spring the damn river floods the town...why would anyone want to live there with full-scale once-in-a-500-year flood every year?

I live about 20 miles outside of Fargo on high ground on 11 acres. It takes a special breed of idiot to build in a flood plain on a river in a flat river bed of a glacial lake to complain when the river floods. There is no way to make this not offensive, but I live here because the climate really reduces the number of people who live here and I have observed that the higher the population, the higher the percentage of idiots and jackasses is. When and if we ever move from here, it will be into the Rocky Mountains, somewhere up high with lots more snow...

This project is going to be slow going, individual projects are going to pop up as I go along, I'll continue to post Tech threads. I'll also be doing some projects on my '68 Coupe.. It needs subframe connectors, a roller idler arm, a rear seat divider, Shelby Underrides, steering box to be rebuilt, I talked with buening and had his motor mount plans turned into individual files so I can have them cut out of scrap metal at work, we have a production plasma table... anybody else need motor mounts?

I have already talked to the production manager about doing small runs of parts, they really don't care, as long as they can charge me for the material and bill me at a flat labor rate.. so other parts may become available (plasma ain't as clean as laser or water, but it beats the hell out of a grinder and cut off wheel).. I'll post real threads about gaining interest in parts after I make a couple prototypes..

anyhow, glad to be here.. now off to feed my children.. 7p and they look hungry..

1967 Mustang Coupe

Welcome. Lime gold was the number one color for 67. Couldn't bring myself to paint mine back to the original lime gold and went silver!

Re: 1967 Mustang Coupe

"gtscode" said:
Welcome. Lime gold was the number one color for 67. Couldn't bring myself to paint mine back to the original lime gold and went silver!

Same here. My 67 fastback was lime gold also and I love lime gold with the white lemans stripes.
But my better half decide for a sort off burgundy with white lemans stripes.

1967 Mustang Coupe

"B67FSTB" said:
Same here. My 67 fastback was lime gold also and I love lime gold with the white lemans stripes.
But my better half decide for a sort off burgundy with white lemans stripes.

Actually line gold with white Lemans stripes does look great!!

If I didn't have a deluxe hood I would have done that.

Re: 1967 Mustang Coupe

"gtscode" said:
Actually line gold with white Lemans stripes does look great!!

If I didn't have a deluxe hood I would have done that.

i do have the deluxe hood AND lemans stripes. :roll

Didn't get a darned thing done on the car this weekend, and probably won't for a while. I did make the trip to Wahpeton ND to pick up my used 2post hoist.
ResizedImage951362579792504_zpscaaf944b.jpg

Loaded it up on a car trailer
IMG544_zpsebf64744.jpg

Unloaded it with a JD 4020
IMG561_zps9f2b52ee.jpg

And there she sits, until after this Spring's flooding so I can start pouring a slab of concrete.
IMG564_zps53bb4f78.jpg

I had no idea what sort of lift it was that I bought.. it really didn't matter for the price I paid. It worked and I knew it would lift a 4000lb Mustang. Turns out it can lift a lot more than that...
IMG560_zps7766ba98.jpg

Weaver AFH-90-B
9000lb lift capacity

I have to build a new structure because both my 2 car attached garage and my current shop building only have 9ft ceilings.. the uprights are 9'4" to the top of the chain rollers and I assume I need at minimum 12ft ceilings so I can actually get lift the car high enough to get under it. Anybody have recommendations or pictures of their lift installation they wouldn't mind sharing? Today's task, try to track down installation user manuals...

Sorry , can't help with a picture as I have a 4 pole hoist and a 3ft pit beneath it. :thu :thu
Total height of my garage is 8.5ft.

FWIW, after I learned that this one was available, I called my Dad and he offered to give me another 4 post lift that he bought 6-7 years ago and has never used.. I'm still debating on exactly what I should build.. a single stall on my existing shop, a double wide stall on my existing shop so I can use both. Maybe a double deep single width stall and use the 4 post for storage. Or should I buck up and build a new 3 stall garage onto the house. We have eventual plans on expanding our living room and kitchen into our existing garage (2-car) and building a new 3 stall (individual doors) garage, but would it look stupid having a 12ft wall garage attached to a 9ft wall building?

Benefits of adding on to the shop is that I can do 'floating slab' that only requires that the outer 1ft perimeter of the slab be thickened to 1ft. And its farther from the house :yah. But I don't really like my current shop and I need to build on to the house some day anyhow.. so maybe I should just pour that foundation and start that house project now?

If I build on to the house, I will put the 4 post inside one door and the 2 post inside another and leave the 3rd door as a flat bay, which I assume is where my wife would park, I doubt she would want to deal with lift posts getting in and out of her vehicle every day..

Back to the car, my wife does not approve of the Lime Gold, but if I have to own another goddammed solid white car I will have to start :guns
68 Mustang (wimbledon white)
94 GMC 3/4t (white)
her last Daily driver
2006 Equinox (white)
her current daily driver
2012 Tahoe (white)
our horse trailer (white)

I know I live on 1.5miles of gravel and that dark colors (highland green, raven black, dark blues) are all out because they'd never be clean.. When we 'fixed up' the '68 Coupe we poured through a ton of paint chip colors in about a billion catalogs. This time no color by committee, I owned this car before her and its going to be done my way.

About the Deluxe hoods.. My next older brother has a '67 coupe with that hood and so does my younger ex-step-brother. Its OK, but it doesn't get me going enough that I want to go purchase one and then find the fiddly bits like wiring and light housings to perform the installation.. If one fell in my lap or I already had one, I'd roll with it, but that isn't the case (unless I can convince my ex-step-brother to swap my '67 for his '68) barring that, I'll be doing something else..

I found a company that sells parts for my lift..
SVI Direct Fit Parts for Weaver 90B

Well FML (and I ain't talking about Family Medical Leave)
Last night I was getting ready to leave town, less than 1/8th mile from the exit from 52nd Ave SE to turn onto i29 and get away from the city.. and I got t-boned by a semi :rant It was just me in the pickup, normally I have my 2 small kids with me, but luckily not last night. I am fine and mostly just irritated.

I was East Bound on a green light and a semi that was north bound ran a red turn light and t-boned me. I spun a 180 and came to a halt.
My pickup 6 days ago..
IMG502_zpsbeef86d3.jpg

My pickup last night about 6:30pm...
IMG593_zpse56d3a21.jpg

Structurally there doesn't appear to be anything bent underneath, I need to verify that with a frame shop, the passengerside leaf spring did break at the front bushing, which is why the tire looks like it is shoved up into what is left of the box side.

We've had this pickup since it had 7 miles on it in 1993, it is now up to 240k miles, never left us stranded (ok, once in 2001 at Steamboat Lake Colorado when the coil went bad), never let us down, has all the original balljoints, tie-rods, and engine. The transmission was replaced once because a $6 servo went out and GM gave us pricing, to R&R the trans plus rebuild with the new server versus a GM certified reman and it was cheaper to go with the reman. My wife got this pickup as a high school graduation gift from her Dad, I had just started looking for a body shop to repair the tiny rust spots on the fenders and the bubbles that started at the bottom of the extended cab. For those that are interested, that is the original paint, aside from a rock that dinged up the hood in 1995. Even if this thing gets totaled out, we will be buying it back, my Dad has another '92 k1500 4x4 (red) that I can get for cheap (like a couple hundred) that I can use for spare parts (and maybe even swipe the 3.73's instead of my stock 4.11's).. But it will push my 67 coupe project out a little bit.. wish I had a hoist about now...

Overall though, once I fix that tiny bit of rust in the front fenders (the passenger side is the worse), hang a new door and replace the box, the only body work that it looks like I need is that extended cab portion... I wonder what it looks like underneath... (dammit forgot to check) the interior on the inside is pushed in a little bit, barely noticable by a gap in the pocket next to the rear seat. No glass broke.. Just the passenger mirror shattered. I still don't know how that running board made it through the incident unscathed..

Glad you are OK. :wor
A good wash and ironing , and all is forgotten on the truck. :stu

I have already located online 2 craigslist ads, one for a short stepside ($500 or in town a short wide bed for $600) I already contacted another guy about a 3-door ext/cab/doors/fenders he is asking $400, so I could purchase for $1000 total for all sheet metal to be replaced, not bad.... A friend of mine knows a guy who used to used to own a body shop and does side jobs, so *if* it gets totalled I have plan B..

FWIW, my current cab is not a 3-door, just 2. So that would be an upgrade. I also had just a couple rust spots that I had been meaning to get repaired and those would get taken care of as well, especially if I end up replacing the whole cab.

Over lunch I called my Mom out in Oregon, she said that one thing I should do is deal only with my insurance company, which would mean I have to pay my deductible ($500) and then my insurance company would cover all repairs and then they would collect from the other insurance company. I don't want to deal with a random insurance company, especially since it was semi trucking insurance company, I don't feel that they would have my best interest in mind. So I have called my insurance agency, the agree with me (that's why I like them) and now I'm going to have it hauled to an autobody shop for appraisal (and hopefully repair).

First, Glad to hear you are ok... Second, surprised to here how much life you've gotten out of the truck so far. My son just got an '09 and hoping he gets a lot of years out of it too. As far as the insurance goes, I know each state has it's own odd rules, but where I'm at we never talk to the other guys insurance co. they call, but we won't talk to them or respond to there mail. We talk to our own insurance company because that's who we pay our bill to for thier service. The only time a deductible is applied on us is if we are at fault. Your agent will probably have more leverage to pay out higher since they are going to go after the trucker's insurance. Hopefully it all works out good for you... it sounds like it so far.

Back