• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Mustang LED tail lights from Mustang Project install

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
1967 Mustang LED tail lights from Mustang Project install

Tools:
11/32 deep socket
Phillips screw driver

Optional:
Wire cutter/stripper/crimper
Foam padding (small amount)
Male/female spade connectors

Taillight removal:
Pull/remove taillight bulb socket
Inside trunk pull off taillight screw covers (plastic dome type covers, if installed)
429501-T600450.jpg

Use 11/32 deep socket to unscrew 6 taillights bezel screw nuts.
Carefully pry taillight bucket away from inside of real panel and bezel screws.
Taillight bezels will now be unattached to car but the rubber gasket compression may still hold then in place.
Slowly remove bezels (screws attached to top and bottom of bezel) from rear panel.
Check condition of rubber bezel gaskets. Replace if necessary.

Taillights bucket now separate from car.
Carefully pry rubber spacer/gasket from around lens.
This is not a secured item but may be firmly pressed into place due to years of compression. Replace with new if desired.
Unscrew 6 Phillips screws securing lens to bucket.
Carefully pry out lens which may be firmly attached to thin rubber gasket between it and the bucket.
Remove rubber gasket. Replace with new if desired.
Clean/paint bucket as desired.

LED install:
Now for ease of installation you may want to cut the taillight socket from the car.
This way you can work on the taillight bucket on a work bench and not have to be leaning over inside the trunk to install the LED panel..
Easy way is to cut the wires with a few inches of the socket. Strip wires back a little and crimp on male/female spade connectors on each. Using opposing versions on each wire makes re-install simple with no problem of switching wires accidentally.
429502-T600450.jpg

429505-T600450.jpg

Install socket in bucket.
Install/plug in LED plug into socket and secure LED panel (screw or hex nut depending on Mustangs Project kit).
Cushion rear part of panel touching bucket (ends) with thin foam padding.
This not only insulates and cushions the LED panel but also creates a slight tension preventing the panel from rotating and the lights not being aligned vertically.
429504-T600450.jpg

429509-T600450.jpg

Place lens gasket in place and then lens. Secure with Phillips screws.
429535-T600450.jpg

If using a new large rubber spacer/gasket, make sure holes for bezel screws are all open and large enough. This may require drilling, cutting or heat (solder rod). Nothing great really but the holes may require too much force when installing the bezels so opening them up a little doesn’t hurt.

Place large rubber spacer/gasket around lens.
429533-T600450.jpg

429534-T600450.jpg

Replace the three taillight bezels into the rear panel making sure the rubber gaskets are flat and in proper position. They will just hang there until you attach the bucket to them from the inside.
429538-T600450.jpg

Now placing the bucket inside against the rear panel and align with the 6 bezel screw extensions (two per bezel). Slowly press bucket and screws together. This may take some force to get the screws to penetrate the rubber spacer/gasket, so do it slowly. At your discretion attach the 6 nuts to screws. Tighten evenly. This may require some major squeezing of the bezels/bucket because of the rubber spacer/gasket.

Check around bezels that no gasket material is compromised.

Attach spade connectors and ground spade to taillight socket.
429502-T600450.jpg

Suggestion of shrink tube insulation around the connections.

LED Install complete.
429540-T600450.jpg

For Flasher install follow MP directions depending on sequential or non-sequential flashers.

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
No I have NON-sequential.

The flasher unit and hook up is slightly different but still no hassle.

Non-sequential flasher is just replace current unit and attach ground wire to a base.

"KBMWRS" said:
No I have NON-sequential.

The flasher unit and hook up is slightly different but still no hassle.

Non-sequential flasher is just replace current unit and attach ground wire to a base.

Different how? I have the non-sequential, but tried Cmayna's sequential flasher in my car, just unhooked my flasher and plugged his in, worked fine.

66gt350

From my conversations with Mustang Project, the LED taillights are the same for both the sequential and non-sequential taillights. The difference is in the relays. For non-sequential, you can use your standard relay, unless you have the park lights as LED's, then you have to use their grounded relay.

My wife ordered the non-sequential kit for x-mas, but they sent the sequential taillight kit. All I needed was the correct relay and everything works fine.

Mine are probably 3 or 4 years old, they sent me a non-sequential flasher that has a ground wire. The taillights are the only LEDs I run.

sigtauenus

I was considering the sequental LED taillights myself. Is there any particular reason you both went with the NON sequential?

66gt350

I know that they recently changed relay types. The new one that they sent looks like a normal square flasher that has an extra post for a ground wire. the original one looked like it was in some sort of plastic bag with the three wires coming out of it.

With only the tail lights installed I was running with the standard flashing unit until they mailed the correct one. I didn't have any issues with that flasher. When I installed the park lights up front, I had to use the three wire flasher.

66gt350

"sigtauenus" said:
I was considering the sequental LED taillights myself. Is there any particular reason you both went with the NON sequential?
I just like the looks of the normal tail lights. Personally, the sequential just don't look right on a '66. I asked the wife's opinion and she said that she didn't like the sequential either.

I think initially I ordered the non-sequential because they cost more. Craig sent me his to try, and I like the sequential better, just wasnt sure about blowing the coin for a new flasher... Here are a couple videos I shot

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
66Gt350 noted the different relay explanation. LEDs are the same.

As for why the non-sequential......I too don't care for the directional look....lights are too close for that but some do like it.

sigtauenus

I was leaning towards the sequential as stated. With those videos just forwarded to SWMBO, she likes the sequential too.

Sequential it is for me.

AtlantaSteve

"sigtauenus" said:
I was leaning towards the sequential as stated. With those videos just forwarded to SWMBO, she likes the sequential too.

Sequential it is for me.

I like Sequential too...

I wish I could justify the cost of thise bugger:
http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=1fa00051-9b75-420a-99e9-1e095fe528d5

Shelby style sequentials taillights for a 64-66, but without modifying the car. Install like this:
ef5e8949-a2bc-400c-b9ac-cfdef0eb6d7067shelbymovie.gif

But, yeah 500 bucks? Can't find a way for that to make sense.