• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1968 Coupe Assistance please

I am trying to plan out what to do with my 1968 coupe. I have a few questions. First, I have 4 wheel drum currently I might be using to get the car rolling. If I swap the front and possibly the rear to disc brakes, would that affect the offset of wheels? Do I need to wait to get wheels or will it not matter?

2nd, Its a 68 coupe with an 8 inch rear and all stock suspension I believe. What is the back spacing I am looking for front and back? I had found some wheels and stuck them on the car with a 4 inch back spacing I believe and they don't seem to work at all.

I see the car being used to drive to the beach, maybe up to the mountains etc. Want it to be a good driver along with a car I can take to the track and run it. With that said I am on the fence about finding wheels I can use for everything or just getting a spare set of rears to swap out for racing. What are your thoughts on that?

Lastly, size. As I have drum's currently, It doesn't seem to matter. If I stick to say 15 inch wheels, which is bigger than the 14 inch stocks, then I would be fine with drum and fine if I do the 67 and older k/h disc brake conversion or the 68 and up disc brake swap. But If I wanted bigger brakes I would be screwed. From the brake up grades I have seem, it would appear if I went with a 17 inch wheel I would have no worries now or in the future. What are your thoughts?

I would decide on wheel size before which disc brake kit as 15" or 17" will fit your currrent drums, if you do brakes first then the K/H stock size may look small behind a 17" wheel and most other kits require a 17" wheel so if you buy 15" they won't fit the larger brakes.

Once you decide on wheel size then backspace can be discussed as what fits is different for the wheel size. I have 3.75" bs wheels on my '67 with 225/60/15 tires and they fit perfect with the fender lips rolled, which I would suggest with either size wheels as it gives you another ~1/2" of clearance and removes a sharp edge.
Jon

Is their any newer wheels, factory wheels, that are direct bolt on's? If I found a set of craigslist for say 2006 mustang buillt type wheels would those work? Or do all newer wheels need an adapter and its just easier to get proper fitted wheels right from the start?

the newer wheels have the same bolt pattern, the offset could be an issue. You may have to run spacers to move them out. My buddy bolted the 05 and up wheels with 1" spacers on his 68 and it looked like that would work okay

Back