• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1968 Drum Brakes won't bleed

Trying to get the old mustang on the road. I bought new cylinders on all 4 wheels and tried to bleed them. Front two worked, but the rear two I can't get any fluid to come out at all. Any spots to check for clocks?

Are the rears new cylinders as well? If not, maybe some blockage in the cylinder preventing bleeding?

So if you keep the front's closed up and open one of the rears, you cannot get any fluid out after a bunch of pumping?

If your not getting anything through the bleeders then try working your way forward at each joint. Pump the pedal, then crack the fitting from the line to the wheel cylinder, if nothing comes out, then go to the fitting on the axle T, then to the main rear line... keep moving forward 'til you find where there is pressure. This should help you isolate the faulty part.

If you are running a solid line between the two with no joints, then no. I wonder if it is the prop valve? but do recommend the method stangg suggests.

Check both ends of the flex line, at the axle and the the other end. Then the prop valve. Maybe unhook at prop and flexline and blow the line out with some air

"68angrypony" said:
I tried to use normal wrenches and i couldn't get any of it to budge. I think I need to get the property brake line tools.

You definitely want to get some flare nut wrenches.

a6u6evy2.jpg

Back