• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1968 Mustang 390 install parts (motor mounts/oilpan/C6 crossmember)

phlegm

I tried to convince him to go with a different motor combination.. He had a 5 bolt bellhousing 289 in there for a while (running and working withthe 3.03). He has a 351W that he could put in there. He bought a '74(? ) LTD 2dr that had a 460/C6 that he thought about putting in there (sold this car later with motor) I tried to convince him that a 400hp 302 would be a better choice. In the end, he wants his "factory" big block configuration.

I know the title says 390, but it's really a 428CJ. My younger brother is putting it into his '68 Coupe. The car was originally a 200/3.03. He bought a pickup with a working motor and transmission and he wants "MORE POWER".

He's already go the rest of the stuff (or plans on where to get it)
From our parts car he has 5 lug spindles and an 8" rear. From a '69 Torino GT he can get a 9" axle housing (empty) to swap his 8" axles into. For front brakes he is going with a Mustang Steve kit for using 13" rotors.

But without the basic components to actually fit the motor into the car, he will be stalled. He isn't going to start working on it until this summer, its too freaking cold and snowy outside now. Plus he is buying his first house and wants to wait until the car is in his own garage before rebuild begins.

recommendations on headers or radiator suppliers (stock/alum) would be appreciated.

Or if somebody could post the measurements for a C6 crossmember that would be much appreciated..

I'd post pictures, but the car has sat in the same spot inside Dad's barn (old dairy pole barn on concrete mostly without a motor) since 1993, I have some, somewhere... but not sure where that is... I haven't seen the passenger side of that car in probably 15years... The car is a basic bright red, has the hood with the inset blinkers, parchment interior. Last time I saw it, there are signs of rust throughout both wheel openings in the rear, not rusted through, but signs that somebody repaired them once before, and they sucked at rust repair. The floor pans in the front have some rust issues. But that's it.. the rest of the car is/was straight and rust free. I'll get pics the next time I see it.. of course they won't be great pics because it will be covered in 20yrs of dirt and dust..

Thanks in advance,
-ron

I went with stock cobrajet exhaust manifolds. No messing around with leaky headers. I did not think the small increase in hp was worth the headache. Machined the manifolds and did not need any gaskets at all.

If you insist on getting headers I was told Doug's Headers is the way to go. Just google Doug's Headers.

I went with a reproduction '68 big block radiator that I bought when CJ pony had a sale. I thought that the aluminum looked out of place in the bay.

I am not sure what your budget is but, if you decide to go aluminum it looks like you pretty much get what you pay for. You can get cheapo china stuff off eBay or you can spend more and get a Northern or a Griffon.

I only asked about headers because I wasn't sure if I would be able to find suitable stock exhaust manifolds. The motor is in a pickup, I don't know what it was in originally, it is 100 miles away from where I sit so I can't check casting numbers. So I assumed they'd be rare or un-findable.

From what I read on another forum (VFM maybe) the engine side brackets are the same between the SBF and the FE? can you verify that? If so he might just buy stock motor mounts and radiator, I still need to find a crossmember though.. For the radiator, he will probably go with aluminum, his pockets are deeper than mine. He's a single guy, 30, no kids, buying a house with a 2 car garage for less than 20k, working in the oil fields of western ND.. he's been putting money in then bank while driving a POS neon for the last couple years..

I am not sure what you mean about the engine side brackets. Are you talking about the motor mounts?

They reproduce the exhaust manifolds. You can get them from many Mustang parts suppliers. If you go with stock type make sure you get the cobra jet manifolds the stock 390 manifolds are garbage. One other thing about going with cobrajet manifolds, unless you have CJ heads your heads might need to be drilled and tapped to match the bolt pattern on the manifolds.

Your friend should have gone with a small block. All the BB stuff is expensive.

Bracket..
(shamelessly stolen from buening's motor mount thread)
231_07_04_10_8_05_28.JPG

To mount a motor into the car, there is the frame side motor mounts (which is what I meant to say) and the actual motor mount (with the rubber insulator)
On the other forum, somebody said that the SBF and FE used the same frame side brackets, and I am wondering if you can verify that?

So far on the motor he has, the only thing he has done is pulled the casting number off the block (not heads) and the block casting number only shows up for 428PI, 428CJ, and a 331. He has not tore down and verified the important parts yet..

For a long time this website was 'gone' but now it has it back up (yay!).
The Ford V-8 Engine Workshop 428 Cobra Jet
428 CJ Exhaust Manifolds
These exhaust manifolds are found on 428 CJ regardless of body style. The passenger side manifold (the larger one shown at the top) is casting # C8OE-9431-B. The drivers side manifold shown here is fitting to late 1969 and 1970 cars, casting # C9OE-9430-D.
This is useful information..

If he still needs it, I can get the measurements off my crossmember. I have a factory C6 crossmember even though I am running a 429/C6 combo. I used as much factory parts as I could. The shift linkage is different than the C4 as well.

thanks for the offer.. can you tell me how the linkage is different? If it is vastly different I may steer him toward an aftermarket shifter, just so I don't have to mess with it.

Look at this site here regarding the motor mounts. The picture you posted does not look right. In a stock setup there are 3 separate parts that make up each side of the motor mounts. There is the bracket that bolts to the frame, a rubber insulator, then the bracket that mounts to the engine block.

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/enfrsubr.html

This place wants top dollar for their parts but, they will get you the correct stuff.

"phlegm" said:
thanks for the offer.. can you tell me how the linkage is different? If it is vastly different I may steer him toward an aftermarket shifter, just so I don't have to mess with it.
I'll see if I have some pictures comparing the two. It's been a long time ago so I don't recall exactly but I do remember they were different.

Back