• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1971 Airstream Sovereign 31ft

Minor updates, nothing too serious.

I removed the front radio antenna and made a plug/cover.
IMG_6709_zpsigi4g2a5.jpg

I sanded *most* of the window frames and painted them.
IMG_6746_zpsev6ni5p0.jpg

Fancy paint station..
IMG_6748_zpsxzmnk5xg.jpg

I haven't installed them all yet, but I think they will look good once I get new screen material installed and then reinstalled.
IMG_6761_zpsqt3txgbq.jpg

The dog doth approve
IMG_6766_zpsnuvue2ne.jpg

Next I popped the wheels
IMG_6836_zpsq6cyihyw.jpg

And replaced the wheel bearings, let the good times roll.
IMG_6865_zpswoxaydf6.jpg

I was planning on cleaning/packing the original bearings, but once I popped the first wheel and saw rust infused grease, I decided that it would be worth it to replace all of them.
IMG_6887_zpstrlnszjl.jpg

And it is a lot faster to pop them out and drive in new races then it would have been to clean out all the old grease.

Red greasy goodness...
IMG_6875_zpstlujymbi.jpg

another minor project..

Last winter a tree branch fell on my Astrodome (sky light) and busted it into a million pieces.
Eventually I want one in solar grey, but the vender that sells them is out of stock.
So I used the inner window frame as a template to cut out a plywood cover.
IMG_6895_zpsanopvuqa.jpg

Last Saturday I took it on its first camping trip, roughly 260 miles round trip.
IMG_6897_zpsztgotkny.jpg

We setup in my sister in laws driveway.
IMG_6904_zpsjzuvt5ty.jpg

We found a HUGE issue with the sleeping situation.. the adults of the family do NOT enjoy sleeping on cots.
IMG_6946_zpshpmv5nve.jpg

We picked up an 8" memory foam mattress from Costco on the way home, I need to build a frame for it.

12800lbs of camping goodness.
On the way over, I ran 65mph into a 20mph headwind and still managed 12.9MPG.
On the way home I ran 75mph down the interstate with a slight tailwind and averaged 13MPG.
IMG_6945_zpsq06qj5e3.jpg

And since this is a Mustang forum, 1968 Mustang with 1971 Airstream.
IMG_6954_zpskezjlsjv.jpg

tick tock, 2 week trip coming up soon.

I'm hoping that once we get back from Oregon we will continue to use it this summer. It would be nice to take some weekend trips to "local" places like the north shore of Lake Superior, Mt Rushmore, or even to Medora for a weekend.

My. Rushmore is awesome. We went there several years ago n stayed at the Hill City KOA campground.they have horseback riding n a restaurant. They also have a van that will take you to n back to the monument.

My in-laws live in Sturgis now.
I've been through the area a few times.
I'd like to make it down there in August for the Sturgis Mustang Rally

Back