• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1972 Disc Brakes on a 67?

they have a different taper on the tie rod ends so you will need to use 72 tie rod ends too. Otherwise they bolt right on.

doesn't matter as far as swapping the spindles. You will want to upgrade to a disc brake master cylinder and proportioning valve. Disc brakes don't "move" as much as shoes in a drum and require different pressure.

so when you said you found disc brakes you meant you just found the rotors and calipers? You will need the spindle too, drum spindles don't have anything to hold the caliper. Some after-market kits make brackets that bolt on where the backing plate attaches for a caliper but probably not for using 72 calipers. Not that I've heard of anyway. Try to get as much from the doner car as possible, the whole spindle, rotor, caliper, brake hoses, dust shields, etc. Piecing it together may cost more than it's worth.

discbrakes.jpg

Just got an email from the guy with the brakes. We must have had a miscommunication because the pictures show about everything I need right? How high are the lines? I haven't bought lines for my coupe yet so would I just buy lines for a front disc car with power brakes?

Last edited by a moderator:
glad to see the whole assembly pictured. As for the rubber brake lines, they aren't too expensive. I don't recall exactly, maybe $20? I went with 76 Granada disc's and spindles and was able to attach the new Granada rubber lines directly to the factory style stainless steel replacement lines I had for drum brake car. Worst case you might have to make up some hard line adapters to connect existing hard line to the 72 Mustang rubber lines but I'm guessing not. Remember too that the outer tie-rod's will need to be replaced with some for a 72 Mustang because the taper is different. It should be an easy swap. Also the master cylinder issue needs to be addressed. If you do not change it you could have the rear lock up on panic stops and it will require more pedal effort. Disc brakes need more pressure and don't "travel" as much as drum.

Awesome Thanks a ton. I'll get these picked up and when I get done on the body I'll start doing some brakes!

Back