• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1973 Mach 1 Idea...

I'm just trying to get the complete picture of what I want to do with this car, I want it to be affordable to drive, be able to stomp a cheby if it has to, and reliable and be capable of a road trip. So I was thinking with the engine, Jon Kaase Prepared Super Cobra Jet Ford Heads (http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/pr ... heads.html), I am unsure what cam I want to go with yet, but EZ-EFI Fuel Injection System (http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... EZIEFIKits),
Compu-tronix Distributor-less Ignition system for American V8s (http://www.hotrodhotline.com/pr/2011/co ... erican_v8/),
I plan to get headers for it not sure what type im going to need to make them fit yet, Electric fans, Also would this (http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/pr ... ifold.html) intake work with the heads? And then a Tremec 5 speed backing it. I am not planning on doing this right away I am just trying to get a plan that way I am not just kind of wondering through it and throwing things togethor as I go. It seems like a good start to me, but I am no professional. So take it lightly on me. Also, how does a 73 Mach 1 look with a shaker instead of the 2 scoops? I was just thinking it might look nice but I dont want to spend money trying to do it then regret it. Let me know what yall think.

By the way, I was just asking if it would be a good set up or not, along with the right parts along the way. It was a question. I'm 19 I think I have the time to start trying to build this car. lol.

I just asked about the budget because if you do not start there you will never get it done.

I can tell you this as someone who was once nineteen and had his share of projects. Scrap the Kasse parts ideas. The fuel injection systems, etc. Unless you have a couple grand a month of expendable cash you will never get there. At nineteen, there are also a crap load of other things to take your attention and $$$ away from a project car.
Build yourself a reliable, mildly potent SBF. You can find intakes, heads, headers used or cheaply enough. Put some money in good bottom end parts (they don't need to be the latest greatest forged stuff) and have a reliable shop do the machining work for you. You can have the fun of putting it together and the pride that comes with it. Best part is that by the time you're twenty or so you may actually have a running car to show off and be proud of.
We all had the same dreams at your age. We all thought we had the means to do it. Very, very few actually do. The smart ones wised up and went the route I describe and never looked back. You can always start building that second engine while enjoying your ride.

Not trying to be an ass or a dream crusher. Actually just trying to help you get there sooner rather than never.

+1 what horseplay said

That's the same thing I'd tell my sons

I had several small block mustangs when I was younger and it took all the extra money I had just to keep them on the road.

Do this, make a list of the parts you need for the car. Put the costs next to them. Arrange this list in some kind of logical order in which to purchase them so you can then assemble as they come in. For example, no sense in buying a FI system until the engine is built. You don't need an exhaust system until the engine and trans are in the car.

TIP: Don't be fooled into buying something early simply because you find it on sale. There are always sales. The exception to this would be a "once in a lifetime deal" on some used part you come across...maybe.

Now that you have your list, start putting dates next to the individual items as to when you will have the cash to make those purchases. Be honest here. If you work 30 hours a week at $10 an hour I'm guessing you might have at best $500 a month. Get a girl friend and cut that by at least half. As a nineteen year old between (hopefully) school and work what are you really bringing home each month after all your other expenses that you could put toward the car? See how long it will take to buy what you need. I'm guessing with your current dream parts you'll find you are out years.

Don't forget, you should see a nice tax refund each spring. Those checks were always what I used to get things moving on my cars.

Again, not trying to discourage at all. Trying to get you to take a very realistic look at what you can do so you can succeed.

I work 40 hours a week making 7.75, no girlfriend, its a small town no such luck around here with that. 20 years single in february

"southern_boy" said:
I work 40 hours a week making 7.75, no girlfriend, its a small town no such luck around here with that. 20 years single in february
You need to change your goals. Save up and get out and find yourself a girlfriend!

Seriously, do as I wrote and map out your path to a completed car. In your situation, getting it completed as a very nice ride would seem very possible...if you remain realistic and make a step by step plan to get it done. This is a big undertaking and without the detailed plan things like this just never happen.

Where you started this thread is the route most young guys try to take and fail. Saving up to buy $4k cylinder heads will take you a long time and you will lose interest. Just think about it.

Horseplay,
Very well put.

Southern_boy, You have a whole life ahead of you to achieve the ultimate drivetrain. As Horseplay previously suggested, for now consider less expensive alternatives just to get your rig up and running. For now there would be nothing wrong with a decently built 351/electronic ignition/T5zorTKO/etc setup.

By doing that, I bet you will fill that girlfriend riding shotgun void, sooner ! :thu

I was just trying to find out if it would be a good set up. All i really want right now is the efi and ignition. I know how i want the car to look minus whether i want a hood sr

Back