• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1989 5.0LX: Project Trailer Park Terror *NOW WITH VIDEO*

gotstang

Last July,‭ ‬my brother in-law who‭ "‬likes to work on cars‭" ‬bought‭ ‬this‭ ‬5.0-swapped‭ ‬89LX.

5slow.jpg

That day, we took it for a spin to go get his other car because he left it at the guy's house when he bought the Mustang and I started finding problems with the damned thing before we got out of his driveway...why did I promise to help work on it‭?

‬First thing was that the tach reads way too high.‭ ‬Weird thing is the huuge Autometer tach does the same thing.‭

‬Second,‭ ‬it's supposed to have a cammed up‭ ‬306‭ ‬in it.‭ ‬If it really is a built motor‭ (‬which is a scary thought here in hickville‭) ‬I figured it will need a tune to run worth a crap.‭

‬Cruise doesn't work and AC is gone,‭ ‬plus the belt squealed like a pig‭ ‬24/7.‭ ‬No belt tensioner.‭ ‬A‭ ‬4cyl T5‭ ‬that whined like a race trans.‭ ‬I was elated.‭

There are frigging wires hanging everywhere.‭ ‬It LOOKS like they used the correct V8‭ ‬wiring harnesses,‭ ‬but with the amount of thing that just aren't hooked up,‭ ‬I'm starting to wonder... And did I mention they left the oxygen sensors off‭? I am still in shock over the fact that someone once sold these guys a wrench.

It lasted about a month until the original‭ ‬180k mile,‭ ‬gear-oil filled,‭ ‬leaky T5‭ ‬died in
spectacular fashion.‭ ‬Only gear left was‭ ‬4th and it made a horrific grinding noise in any other gear.‭ ‬Wait til you see the pics of the T5‭'‬s guts.‭ ‬I'm surprised it moved.

I bought a Ford A/C Delete Kit and a belt tensioner,‭ ‬and we installed them about a month ago,‭ ‬as seen in these pics:

PS Pump removed. Only one bolt holding it on, one full turn and it fell off and took the belt with it, no need to worry about how to get everything off anymore.

b4.jpg

Busted PS bracket (they had screwed the broken off part into the block with a short bolt, thanks guys)

busted.jpg

PS Pump support and AC Delete mount installed:

both_brackets_on.jpg

Now everything lines up. God forbid. We even have a tensioner, so we can get some belt wrap around the pulleys to keep it from squealing, and it won't be stretched as tight as a banjo string anymore.

done.jpg

A few weeks ago,‭ ‬we jacked it up,‭ ‬and last week we spent the weekend getting the trans out.‭ ‬While-I'm-At-It-itis struck already.‭

First, we started taking the shifter out. That nessitated removing the console and lower dash trim, and discovering that they had bolted the radio to the floor with high-strength plumber's strap...*that* was some fun stuff.

Here it's all apart:

180.jpg

181.jpg

Starter came out next. No wonder people love ministarters so much. Clearance? What clearance? You mean I need to get a wrench on there?

182.jpg

T5, you biatch, we have conquered you. Admit defeat. (The guy covered in ATF is the owner, Shane, the human trans jack)

183.jpg

So THAT's how you get a T5 apart! It doesn't involve beating the piazz out of the top cover after all...you really DO have to take the tailshaft housing off and knock out that roll pin FIRST!

184.jpg

That doesn't look too healthy!

185.jpg

OMGEEZ! No wonder it didn't want to do anything. Made a big mess too, when they warn you you probably don't have it completely drained, they REALLY ain't a kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 1989 5.0LX: Project Trailer Park Terror

Nice.... makes me feel better about the "issues" I had with the Fox I bought!!

you're not planning on re-using that T5, are you?!? Or was that just a carnage inspection... :lol

I burned up the factory T5 in my 84GT after only 2 years. Drove the cluster gear almost through the case!

"midpack" said:
Nice.... makes me feel better about the "issues" I had with the Fox I bought!!

you're not planning on re-using that T5, are you?!? Or was that just a carnage inspection... :lol

It's probably gonna make you feel a LOT better by the time I'm finished posting the pics we've got so far. The things I've called the people that built this car aren't printable, even if this were the Howard Stern show. :lol

The T5 will more than likely end up as a core, *if* it's good enough. :lol

"silverblueBP" said:
I burned up the factory T5 in my 84GT after only 2 years. Drove the cluster gear almost through the case!
Wouldn't have anything to do with your driving habits, would it? Hit 2nd real hard in this sucker and it was over. Damn Porsche, if it didn't want to play, this car would still be rolling. :lol

Of course, it was directly related to my hard driving :ecit

So, after we got the T5 out, it was time to get the bellhousing off. That looks like a *very* fun job with long-tube headers, but I got a couple feet of extensions and a u-joint and went to work. Hell, the bolts were only finger tight anyway, so the biggest problem was getting to them.

That's when the while-I'm-at-it-itis really started to hit. I got one bolt out before Shane showed up, and after looking at it for a couple minutes, he made the fateful comment, "Hell with it, why don't we just pull the motor".

He was thinking about some upgrades anyway and had already bought a GT40P explorer motor, so why the heck not?

So, we took out all the miscellaneous stuff, rad, fan, shroud, and cut up AC core (thanks for doing such a good job deleting the AC, guys!)

186.jpg

Check out the pimpin' airfilter. It started life as a blue Moroso. Someone explain to me WHY this car ran, again?

It looks so empty for some reason:

187.jpg

Gee, there's enough room for a nitrous bottle inside the nose!
189.jpg

Oh chiat....
192.jpg

Make that double chiat....the other side, which you cannot see, isn't any better. I thought this was a newer car so's we wouldn't have problems like this?

For lack of an engine hoist, we're stuck at that point, but we should have it out this weekend. I can't wait to see the clutch, flywheel, and the TOB that roared in the first place. :lol

Now for a little detour.

What's with the name?
I couldn't really think of anything better. The spray paint patches, wheels, way too big 245 series BFGs and flowmasters with no cats or tailpipes help the "trailer park" image, and it's loud as holy *** which doesn't hurt either.

Plus, all this work is being done in the driveway, in front of Shane's trailer, which also happens to be where it died. :lol The 'terror' part is true for all the wrong reasons right now too...hopefully that will change when the ported GT40Ps, ported Cobra intake, and Moates chip goes in and everything gets a going over.

End Detour #1

Back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Well.... at least you won't have to worry about those long tubes with those P's... I ended up with some from Summit for mine (spark plug angle). Would have sworn my BBK's would have fit...

the GT40p's and exploder intake (and bigger MAF... throttle body... gears....)really woke up the 5.0... gonna put a cam in it too? lol

Update: Went and picked up the motor. Turns out it is a GT40 motor, built 10/14/96. Had all sorts of fun getting it on the engine stand while the engine was hanging off of the tractor, but after 4 hours of monkeying, it's tucked away safely in a nice dry shop. If I can ever figure out my new phone, I'll put up some pics.

If you shut one eye and squint hard, you can see an exploder motor:
exploder.jpg

I put the T5 back together while we were at it. Those things are a little on the heavy side, but I guess I'm glad it ain't a Toploader. :lol

PS: Midpack, we're using the cam out of the old engine...I just hope it ain't stock. :lol

After the 2 week brake job from hell on a Nissan, we're back to Mustanging, cash in hand this time. Hopefully, we can have it done well before July. We shall see.

Fast forward a week or three and after 'almost' buying a couple of 'rebuilt' T5s off of the corral.net classifieds, I found a rebuilder down in Texas that didn't want a blue fortune for a rebuilt T5Z. After a couple of weeks of 'almost' buying several different transmissions, I got a mite torked off at some of the douchebags who wanted $1000 for a T5 that had been “rebuilt� (no proof) and indescriminately covered in aluminum spray paint, so I'm glad I found this guy.

After we found a transmission, we realized the next step was a pilot bearing meant for a V8 and a new throwout bearing, since the old one roared big time. So, we went out and bought a new throwout bearing and pilot bushing at the local BlottoZone. The throwout bearing is a Timkin piece, but the pilot bearing was stamped CHINA in 1/4� letters. Yay. Plus, it was $2 more than the Timkin that they couldn't order anymore. I love that place....

I was a little less glad last Monday night, after the transmission got here. We went to load it in Shane's van, and found this:

trans_box1.jpg

That's the most ghetto packing job I've ever seen, if not the sloppiest. Who uses rumpled up paper towels as packing? Yes, Virginia, there is a T5z in there... :craz

trans_box4.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't notice that until LONG after the UPS man left (they sat it on that end when they delivered it) but it doesn't look like it got hurt, so we decided to go with it for now.

Here's the proud owner with his new transmission.

t5z.jpg

Bright and early last Tuesday morning, we headed into town. Picked up a gallon of coolant, new tube of RTV, and some ATF. Then, we went to NAPA and ordered an American-made pilot bearing, and went back to pull the old one. Picked out a suitable socket and packed the pilot bearing full of wet toilet paper....not only did that fail big time, I found out the hard way that the socket I picked was a little too big because it would NOT come out. Finally got the bright idea to put a rachet on it and turn...boy, am I glad that I'm bright enough to occasionally save me from myself. :lol

With that genius idea out the window, we went and picked up the pilot bearing from NAPA and rented a pilot bearing removal tool from BlottoZone. That can be summed up in two pictures:

IMG_1070.jpg

That's what happens when the bearing tool only pulls out the center liner and not the whole bearing, then snaps off when you put it back in, tighten it, and give it one tap. Yay for foreign metal! :lol

IMG_1075.jpg

THAT is the result of taking the outer shell of the pilot bearing out the hard way, with a chisel. Winning is winning, even if it ain't pretty. :lol

We took the tools back, and surprisingly, got our deposit back for the rental. Guy said “These things happen, want another one?� and that's when we bought the chisel, hehehe.

The next day went straight down the drain because, after we picked up the USA pilot bearing, some brake cleaner, and a serpentine belt that matched our measurements, we decided to toss the bearing in the freezer and fix the serpentine belt while we waited for the bearing to cool off.

After we went through both cans of brake cleaner getting the grease and melted rubber off of the pulleys, we tried to put the belt on. Guess what? It's something like 5� too short (and it's 1� shorter than we asked for)!

After five hours and as many trips to NAPA through a stimulus-funded traffic jam, we figured out that we were reading the f***ing diagram wrong. We would try a belt, it would be wrong, we'd get in the car, go to NAPA, spend another 45 seconds trying that belt, go back to NAPA, and repeat it all over again.

As it turns out, the idiots that wrote the diagram mislabeled the different configurations...so much for following the directions. So, after another trip back to NAPA to get the belt that we had just returned, it went together like it was meant to be.

IMG_1076.jpg

Factoid: You really *do* need a 73� belt if you've deleted the smog crap and used the Ford Racing AC Delete, even if the routing diagram is wrong. :lol

We had decided that the rust wasn't as bad as I thought and that we weren't pulling the motor, so we put everything back together in the engine compartment, including reconnecting the EGR that the idiots had just unplugged and left there. Way to go, guys!

IMG_1081.jpg

Then, we started degreasing the NASTY bellhousing. We quit that late in the evening after going through a ton of brake cleaner and not getting much of anywhere. The next morning, we went to the dollar store and picked up a bottle of Simple Green and some Scotchbrite pads. That is one of the best ideas I've had while working on this car....we had that bellhousing sparkly clean in ten minutes, but that's when we found out that one of the alignment dowel holes was cracked (the other one was busted off, about par for the course on this car, LOL).

After a marathon phone session trying to find someone who could weld aluminum, we took it out to the local Ford mechanical gooroo and that's where I stumbled on to d_ford's fastback.

Then, we dressed the knicks that the chisel left in the crank with some 150grit sandpaper and promptly screwed up the new NAPA pilot bearing by installing it with a 2x4 and a hammer. I know better than to beat on bearings like that, but guess I had my head up where the sun don't shine at the time. :lol

Ran into town, rented the tool from BlottoZone, and promptly pulled out the center of the bearing. Unlike the old one, bearing had nice, large notches on the back side, and the tool pulled the outer shell out without a problem. Couldn't find another USA bearing within 30 miles, so we used the Chinese one. Not my proudest moment, but *someone* is ADD and wanted to get it put together. Went and picked up the bellhousing, borrowed a 12pt socket for the flywheel bolts and a torque wrench and reinstalled the flywheel and old clutch, with lots of blue Loctite.

With some help from one of Shane's co-workers, we torqued everything down, wresteled the bellhousing past the headers, bolted it up, and got the transmission ready to install. Dropped in the reverse pin and switch, and clipped on the backup light harness.

IMG_1082.jpg

Tried to put in in probably half a dozen times that night, but I got very scared about the pilot bearing and it just wouldn't slide all the way in, so we quit. http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/http://localhost/stangfixp/viewtopic.php?t=7

Over the weekend, my dad helped me figure that out, and even helped us put it in. On Monday night, most of Shane's co-workers came over, and we hooked up the starter, put in the driveshaft, tightened the transmission crossmember, and bolted up the Tri-Ax shifter and uber-cool Hurst handle.

IMG_1087.jpg

Shane has Tuesdays off, so we readjusted the clutch, tightened the driveshaft bolts, and threw a battery in it. As it turns out, the jackasses that built the car put in a non-adjusting aluminum clutch quadrant and an adjustable cable, and then threw away the cable adjuster, so it's only halfass adjusted until I can find a firewall adjuster. More good work guys, thanks!

First Startup: 1989 Mustang 5.0 LX

Scared the ever-living crap out of the neighbors, who were outside working and almost fell over when Shane hit the key. Then, they kept asking us to fire it up. :lol

Later on, Shane got a call from his boss who wanted to see it in person. So, we decided to take it for a little open headers spin and say hi. Got our mess cleaned up and let it off the jackstands for the first time in almost a year, and went to back it out of the driveway...and found out that the clutch wouldn't disengage. Squeezed under there, tightened it up a little, and took off down the back roads.

1989 5.0L Mustang Test Drive

Transmission is quiet as a church mouse, no belt squeal (thank god) and it runs just as good as it did last year, which is a relief. The new 2.95 first gear is impressive, even with 3.45 gears in the axle. :lol

I helped Shane get the exhaust part way on last night before I went home, but this thing is FAR from done. No radio, no interior, Autometer tach is broken, and that's just the big ticket items, so this thread ain't in danger of ending any time soon. :lol

PS: I am incompetent with a camera, as you can see. :lol

Well, the exhaust is on the road and it was driving fine until the transmission sprung a huge leak out of the tailshaft seal. Gotta pull it apart and see if the yoke is goobered up somehow or if the seal didn't like the beating it got from UPS.

I'm pretty sure a big leak is mostly what killed the last trans and it's got me to thinking that maybe this is the same leak. Well, assuming that it ain't something to do with this trans... Hmmm!

That test drive made me smile. It sounds just like my 5.0 with open headers. Only mine's never been out on the road. Nice work!

Well the leak turned out to be a MISSING tailshaft bushing. Had that replaced at the local trans $hop and everything was good.

Shane (the owner) passed away 10/3/11 and I sold the car the other day. Sort of defies logic, but it's the hardest thing I've had to do in a while. I'm gonna miss that rolling turd. :rant :hide :steer

Edit: for the overly curious, 5.0 prices are insane. guy about knocked me down to give me the $$ LOL

"gotstang" said:
Well the leak turned out to be a MISSING tailshaft bushing. Had that replaced at the local trans $hop and everything was good.

Shane (the owner) passed away 10/3/11 and I sold the car the other day. Sort of defies logic, but it's the hardest thing I've had to do in a while. I'm gonna miss that rolling turd. :rant :hide :steer

Edit: for the overly curious, 5.0 prices are insane. guy about knocked me down to give me the $$ LOL

I am so sorry to hear that man.
What happend if I may ask ?
Selling stuff from your friend that passed away is some of the hardest things to do , expeccially when you both had a good time working on it.

Back