• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1991 Saleen #039 - It's A-L-I-V-E (again)!!!

BobV

It's here...

It IS a 1991 Saleen. Numbers all match. 1991 was the last year for the Flofit interior. 91 was very low production at 10 SC's and 92 standard Saleens. This is one of 12 hatch's made in red with grey interior. Only optional equipment was a 3:55 rear gear. Saleen goodies include 5-lug 4-wheel discs, 16" wheels, racecraft springs & shocks/struts, subframe connectors, Hurst shifter, Pioneer stereo, big wing and body kit.

Body looks decent 8 of 10, IMHO. First drive was impressive - runs very strong. Most everything was "as expected". I see LOTS of cleaning to be done, a BUNCH of "little things" that will require attention, and just a few "Saleen-specific" items that I'll want to address - like the incorrect shift knob and stereo. Probably the most unusual thing I've found is that the car has a 9" rear, NOT the 8.8, but has the correct Saleen rear brake setup. Exhaust is Flowmasters with dumps - that &^%$ will be coming off this winter. Motor has c&L elbow, 70mm throttle body, Cobra intake and short headers.

I'm thinking this is the perfect "enjoy and drive" project car for me.

HPIM4333.jpg

HPIM4335.jpg

HPIM4336.jpg

HPIM4337.jpg

HPIM4342.jpg

HPIM4338.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Presenting: 1991 Saleen #039

Sweet!!

Track season starts back up in a mere 7 months :eek:mg

Engine bay is dirty & ugly. The interior is NOT as nice in person either - lots of rattles & missing screws... Wheels look decent from 10 feet, but don't have a single matching valvestem/cap combo. All stuff that can & will be fixed... Like I said earlier, a perfect drive & enjoy project.

photo8.jpg

i thought saleen had a racecraft intake or is that part of the issues that you have found with her

Actually, in 91, they were stock 5.0 - no engine mods. At least it will be easy to find the correct stuff, if I chose to go back stock.
Saleen did offer their own intake thru the parts catalog - those typically go for $600-$1500, depending on the variation changes... :scar

Car came out of Springfield MO - found it on the Saleen Forum. Previous owner said he bought the car out of Tulsa, where it spent most of it's life.

Body & paint are the strengths on this car, which was MY biggest concern. Interior is serviceable, but dirty. Lot's of missing screws, non-functional crap, stereo with amps/sub, etc. Something's up with the seat recliners (lay too far back when "up"). Will need carpet for sure... Probably one or both door lock solenoids, and replace a bunch of missing hardware.

Motor runs STRONG when cold, but crap when hot. Pulled codes last night - should be fixable without too much hassle. The engine compartment is just messy. Tempted to pull the motor this winter just to clean things up. Should also have a factory strut tower brace, which is MIA. ...And I HATE Flowmasters dumped under the car - will probably do a Borla or Magnaflow catback with stainless tailpipes.

Wheels are correct, but need polishing and repaint. I think one may be/have been bent at some point - just didn't look right. Tires are mismatched, and brakes need some maintenance. One headlight is badly misaligned/loose, hopefully simple fix.

Plenty to do to get this one up to snuff, but it's mostly labor, which we all know is "free", right? :craz
But, I bought the car "right" - haven't seen another 90-93 car within $5k of what I paid. Heck, I've seen a bunch of plain 5.0LX/GT cars asking for more $$$ than this was...

Bob, any chance we will get to see this one at the track next year? It is the only real way to get to enjoy the ride.

"Mach1ne" said:
Bob, any chance we will get to see this one at the track next year? It is the only real way to get to enjoy the ride.
We'll see. At this point, I'm not 100% sure what direction this project will head...
... I think I sold my helmet to some guy already though... :headac :rofl :doh

Don't you wish cars could talk? Wonder what kind of story is attached to this little plaque on the dash?

HPIM4344.jpg

Mid America
Saleen Social
'94 - 003

Looks like the car spent some time at the Shelby meet... Drag race or the track at Hallett? :eek

Wonder what's up with the 9" rearend instead of the 8.8? Has Currie axles too... :wtf

BTW, after washing the car tonight and crawling around in/under it a little, I'm getting "Previous Owner Derangement Syndrome"... WTF is up with some of this ^%($@?
2 amps & a sub in the hatch area - 2 gauge battery cable running thru unprotected sheetmetal holes with NO rubber grommets?
Rear hatch won't latch - striker bushing is GONE... Wouldn't you fix that???

Stupid, little %^$# like that drives me nuts...

What U joints are in it? If it has 1310's I'd bet it was tracked. If they're the larger variety, I'd guess a drag car.

Pretty sure it was a drag toy... had a nitrous bottle at some point. :eek

Starting digging into the car tonight... Here's some of the ugly...

Tonight's tasks included cleaning out the hatch area - removed the amps and sub, pulled the carpet, etc. Holes in floor are from a removed nitrous setup. Since the exhaust is currently dumping under the car, fumes are entering thru every unplugged hole, and I've found plenty of those! Pulled the front seats out in preparation for a thorough SteamVac cleaning of the carpets and mats. I DO have 2 sets of floormats, which will be nice down the road - one for everyday use and one to save for show...

I'm leaning toward NOT re-installing the amps and sub. Just give me some tunes which I should be able to get from the current JVC headunit. I also reattached the loose hatch trim panel. The plastic clips were all stripped and about 1/2 of the interior trim screws have been MIA so far.

Here's some of the fun stuff...

2 gauge battery cable for amps running unprotected thru the firewall.
HPIM4346.jpg

Rear hatch wouldn't latch or lock. Striker missing it's sleeve and way loose. All fixed now...
HPIM4352.jpg

Amps & Sub - now gone...
HPIM4353.jpg

Old Mats
HPIM4355.jpg

Newer Mats:
HPIM4357.jpg

C/C plates.
HPIM4365.jpg

Holes from nitrous bottle:
HPIM4373.jpg

Notice all the missing plugs.... (AND DIRT!)
HPIM4377.jpg

What's the button next to the hatch striker?

I ended up pulling the interior completely out of the car to clean all the carpet, seats, and floormats. It looks/smells 100% better! The carpet cleaner had 1" of MUD in the bottom when I was done - NASTY! I have it about 80% re-assembled, with most of the missing screws replaced. Hoping to pull the door panels and removed all the window tint this weekend... Pictures will follow as soon as that's done. :pbj

So far, I've removed about 100 lbs of amps, speakers and wiring. At least they didn't hack the main harness for the stereo, although the speaker harness may be suspect. The car also HAD an aftermarket remote entry/lock system, which has now been surgically removed - that was a mess. Still sorting out dome lights and 1 door lock actuator...

The console actually had more screws missing than present. :rtard :eek

Back