• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2.5" stainless tips for the 68

sigtauenus

Didn't want to hijack Rick's topic, similar question to what he posed oh 6 months ago or more.

I have the 2.5" stainless magnaflow dual exhaust and have the GT cutouts on the rear valance on my 68 fastback.

I just found this after looking up Pypes exhaust tips at Summit. 2.5", dual tips, similar to the GT look, but not a rolled edge.

I like them other than not having the rolled edge.

Thoughts?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PYE-EVT19/?image=large

Here are the tips I used, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PYE-EVT49/ The reason I stayed away from the "GT" tips was they seemed to look so small in the valance. The tips I went with filled out the cutouts. Here are a couple pictures I snapped at a car show that steered me from the stock type GT tips

Attachments

• DSC01219.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00988.JPG
    606.3 KB · Views: 101
Are you talking the actual GT tips looked small, or the 2.5" dual tips I had linked above?

I think I may just go the route of ordering several from Summit too, try them on for size and see what I like and send the others back if they'll accept them. Can't beat the price on either though.

Yes, the actual GT tips looked small. Summit is great with returns. I never installed the tips, just held them up to the valance and returned what I didnt use. The 2.5 may look bigger and fill out the valance better. I looked for something similar to what I have but with a rolled lip, but didnt have much luck at all finding anything.

I got the dual GT tips on the 67 at CJ Pony Parts. I had to save a bit on funds and got the repops which don't have the rolled ends, but they look pretty cool and are way easier to clean!

Um, if I can get to the car through the snow, I'll take pics.

Mel

I also need to pick out some tips. Since I'm using the valance with cutouts, I'd prefer an oval shaped tip. Not a real fan of the dual tip setup but I found this pic on Rick's post. though I wish they were a little flatter to fill the cutout better.

jex-por512ss_w.jpg

More something like this.
jex-prs600ss_w.jpg

Ummmmm, Now these would be talk of the town.
jex-jcb212-ss_w.jpg

Lots of good ideas, thanks.

I actually do like the dual tip look, just the the regular Mustang parts vendors don't seem to off any in the 2.5" size to match the magnaflow system I have.

Also, I ran the regular GT dual tips on my car before, and with them being chrome plated, it doesn't take long for them to rust and otherwise look like crap.

Regardless of shape, the tip I install absolutely has to be stainless steel.

Well the cutout on the valance will not take a 6" wide top. 5" at best case, so I might as well forget the two oval one above.

Yeah, I guess when my car gets back it would help to have some actual measurements to work with.

Its good to know I'm shooting more for 5" than 6" to fit the opening. 5" is closer to my size anyhow.

Not the best pictures, but here are a couple close ups of mine. They are stainless. The shop actually cut them down so they could run the 2.5" pipes further back and have more room near the tank and springs.

2_29_06_09_11_55_41_1.JPG

2_29_06_09_11_55_40_0.JPG

2_29_06_09_11_55_42_2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Those fit the opening pretty nice.

Does the shape of the tip affect airflow at all? I mean, would the dual tip cause a restriction in airflow as opposed to the single wide oval opening? I assume not and that the tip is just for looks.

I doubt there would be a noticeable performance difference, but I would imagine there is a noticeable sound difference.

Here's a pic of my Magnaflow SS oval tip. This is an older pic, and I have since moved them a bit further back, so there is only about 1" extending past the valance. The tip was for 2" pipe, but the exhaust shop just stretched it to fit my 2.5" pipe.

2379107_86_full.jpg

Here are a couple of other possibilities:

Look a the NPD website, Mustang catalog, page 125, Three different choices listed under '70 Mach 1. Also look at the Chevelle catalog, page 81, Two choices, one is a repro and the other is Pypes.

I have the MagnaFlow kit, too, and went with factory Cobra tips:

383_10_12_09_11_40_03_0.JPG

It's a little dark, but there's a pipe within a pipe that looks different. It's all stainless. I may be able to score another set, if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back