• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2009 Mustang WIP collision repair

Jonk67

Well this happened to the daughter tonight, her first vehicle collision.
570146440-01.jpeg

570146430-01.jpeg

It's a 2009 Warriors in Pink (V6). She was 20 minutes from her destination near Pigeon Forge to meet family members in town to enjoy the Smokies. She's ok and the airbags didn't deploy but OUCH! She's 2.5hrs./200 miles from home so I'm driving up Saturday to see if I can make a quick repair that will allow us to drive it back home without towing it that far. I'm ok with being sans 1 headlight as we'll be returning during daylight Sunday. At least it didn't shatter the windshield (or the glass roof!).

I asked about the fluid on the bumper fearing it was trans fluid but a boyfriend of the niece said it was coolant. I picked up a new radiator at O'Reilly's with a coupon for $125 with tax, at best the originals not busted and a hose burped or split and shot coolant on the bumper; at worst i have to do a parking lot swap of the radiator. Anyone changed one on an '05-'09? I watched a video and think I can do it with basic tools, floor jack, coolant pan and extra coolant. I've got all that in my trunk already.

I started looking at parts prices in case I decide to fix it but she rear ended the other car so I don't know if I need to decline insurance repair as I'll be getting hit with the accident ding of a 20 yo (she turns 21 later this year) to pay for the other drivers car. The hood is $1k new OEM but i've seen JY ones in A condition for $600. The hardest thing to find, and maybe most expensive will be the WIP rose pink stripe kit. This car is 1 of 199 made in '09, they made them in '08 but the stripe kit was different and maybe a different shade of pink even. This one is kind of pearl/reflective looking up close even though it doesn't reflect headlights (that would be cool).

If you are going to attempt a temporary repair to get the car home, consider bringing a come-along in case you need to pull the radiator support out a bit to get the new radiator installed. A nearby telephone pole can be quite useful with such a "repair".

If you are going to attempt a temporary repair to get the car home, consider bringing a come-along in case you need to pull the radiator support out a bit to get the new radiator installed. A nearby telephone pole can be quite useful with such a "repair".
Thanks Jeff, good idea I didn't think of.

Same here. My son came back from 2 weeks of work in Germany and about 60 Km (50 mls) from home, on a highways turn off , he got hit/rear ended by a hyundai SUV.
The nearly 20 year old car is totaled. Pitty.
Luckely he and his workbuddy are ok.
IMG-20190128-WA0001.jpg

728D8E4A-2BFF-40F6-8A61-B0433C1C593C.jpeg 8866EEDD-DDA4-4ED4-88B2-F50A510B075E.png Then there is my daughter’s Fiesta. She got it used from a honda dealer. Trade in, not a rental. Second day she got rear ended. Very minor, but put some scratches on the bumper. Got it fixed. A year ago in December got rear ended again, this time on the freeway. January 2nd gets rear ended a third time in the same spot. Supposed to have it back from the shop next week.
She wants to sell it. Says it is jinxed.

fd

At least all of our kids weren't injured. Unfortunately my daughter was the rear-ender. I hope this teaches her to be more focused while driving.
It took me about 6 hrs to get it in shape to drive 200 mi. back home. I didn't have a come along to bring per Jeff's suggestion so I tried 2 large ratcheting tie downs but that only moved the rad support 1/4". I went to the harbor freight 5 min away and got a 6', 2 ton one for $15 with a coupon. Wrapped my tie down around a tree to hook the come along to and holy cow was that easy.

Went from wiggle worm to matching the good side pretty closely. Luckily I guessed right and it was only the radiator plastic that was busted. Brought a new $125 (another coupon) radiator from my local O'Reilly's with me in case the stores by Pigeon Forge didn't carry them. Rad overflow tank and PS tank were fine, the AC condenser is beat up but still sealed.

I even pointed the busted headlight at the same angle as the good one so she was only missing a turn signal. She followed me home just in case it would blind anyone's mirror. I sat on the hood hinge areas of the hood on a flat rock a few times and straightened out the hood (aluminum) to bolt it back on and latch it. Made it home without incident. Black duct tape took care of the jagged bumper and headlight alignment.
3d6ca85d31d58b4be45101c890f7a311.jpg
90cdea705befb65cd5d18fbdc0fa763d.jpg
f78724cba3ff50e87987812ea5691507.jpg
434ebcab54799e14318d4ee2cba8464b.jpg

Nice job on temporarily fixing it so that you could get it home.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Jon:

Glad you were able to "Macgyver" that radiator support!!

For the second chapter, when I first came to appreciate the power of a come-along a dozen years ago or so, it was on an early Taurus SHO that had center punched a pole. The come-along worked flawlessly in pulling the radiator support back to its original spot. However, in addition to being pushed into the radiator, the lower front frame rail was bent upward a few inches. For that fix we used a pair of jack stands under the outer ends of the front frame rails and the class 3 hitch on the back of my son's then girl friend's Suburban. Jacking up the Suburban, sliding in the ball into the receiver, and carefully lowering it down onto the SHO's lower frame rail allowed us to use gravity (3 tons of Suburban) to push the lower rail back down so the new radiator would actually fit. I know, kind of hillbilly, but the car was free and it still needed all new front end sheet metal (thank you Pick 'n Pull) and as he was a student, it was a budget repair.

The car will have to go to a body shop as I can't weld but I think I could fix most everything short of the rad support (which is only$65 on Rockauto) but as insurance is also involved I'll just send it to the shop. I've got enough unfinished projects including my '67.

glad she is okay, sad about the car. glad you got them both (daughter and car) home safe. I wish I still had my original hood from my wife's 07 for ya. I sold it for $300IMG_3561.jpg Tail of the Dragon.jpg

Thanks Craig, if I had only known, the cheapest I've seen on car-part is $600 and no telling if it's got a bent corner or something but still listed as 'A' condition until I get to one. New aluminum is $950+. It'll be the most expensive part and I don't know if I can even find an NOS WIP stripe kit...

Back