• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2017 Hot Rod Power Tour dates and cities announced

tarafied1

June 10 – Kansas City (Location TBA)
June 11 – Iowa Speedway in Newton, Iowa
June 12 – Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds in Davenport, Iowa
June 13 – University of Illinois (State Farm Center) in Champaign, Illinois
June 14 – Gateway Motorsports Park in Madison, Illinois
June 15 – Lucas Oil Raceway in Indianapolis, Indiana
June 16 – Bowling Green Warren County Regional Airport in Bowling Green, Kentucky

I was just telling {.} the other day that now that I will finally have my car done odds were the HPT would be out on the left coast or similar. Couldn't have asked for a better route. Better fire up the garage heater and get back to work...

I we did not already have a road trip to Rhode Island for my Wife's Nieces wedding, We would do it. I told Julie we have to go in 2018. A 2 year break is too long.

I typically do 3,000 miles round trip. The tour doesn't always take the shortest route or easiest. They like go thru rural towns. But that does look like an easy year. I am glad because the last couple were really long drives between stops and it's been in the deep South which is really hot and humid.

Yeah, I figure they are not taking the major roads. Looks like about 3 hours a day driving? I was just trying to get an idea of the route.

Yeah, I figure they are not taking the major roads. Looks like about 3 hours a day driving? I was just trying to get an idea of the route.
yeah, that's about right. The year before last, the routes were about 6+ hours most days. Not bad except when a lot of the driving is slow speed in traffic and it's 90+ degrees with high humidity and no AC. It's get to you after 7 days of that!
I'd meet you at the Iowa speedway, but I'll be leaving for Hallett at the Mid Am Shelby meet...to race.
sounds like you will be having more fun!

Well you don't have to follow the route. Some guys will cannonball to the next venue. I like the drive thru rural towns. They always line the streets and have cool photo ops and stuff like that. Plus when you stop for food or gas, there is cool hot rods everywhere. Sometimes we just pull off at a four way stop or some gas station and sit for a while and watch all the cars go by. It's better when the route is shorter so you can take your time. When it's longer you can't really stop much. You need to get to the venue and clock in before 6pm. Then the real fun starts at the hotels every night.

That's when they all throw their keys in a basket and......
lol
actually it's when everyone is tinkering with their old junk and relaxing. A few nuts will have burn-out contests, many will get drunk but it's a huge car show in itself. That is when you get to really meet new people and take a close look at some pretty wild stuff. Each night the people who stay in the hotel with you are different from the night before so it's constantly new stuff but you do see some you met the night before or on the road somewhere. By the end of the week you have made so many new friends. Some you will see again and again each year. Some from different countries and some that live near you that you never knew. It's to really describe but you get the idea I am sure.

Back