• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

289 Build

Caver 66

I'm looking at building a 289 for my 66. I'll need a block to start with. Is there a difference between a hi-po block and a 289 2v block?
If a 289 2v block is good to use, I still have the original engine. Problem with it though is it's been sitting out in the rain and snow for 27 years, with one valve cover off. The oil pan is actually starting to rust through. Do you think a rusted block and crank can be salvaged?
100_1023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If your going to start all over, and it sounds like you have to because not much will be usable from that motor, you may be better served to pick up a running 302, or even a 351 W block and do a complete rebuild.

Have you decided the intended use? The reason i ask, is its very easy to get carried away. Similarly, its easy to not go as far as you should for what you really want to do.

If you decide to use that 289, and you can (a machinist would know better). Mine looked like a boat anchor when i started. i would suspect at most the block is use able. Has it been bored before? Are there any cracks? A machine shop would be able to answer these questions. If waters in there, there may not be much hope. At a minimum, You would need a rotating assembly, so have you thought about a stroker kit?

This is where that intended use comes into play.

Heres where i went.

old '66 289 sitting in a field for 30 years, removed it from a coupe that had all but rusted away.

before.jpg

same motor block, just a few months later.

motor.jpg

If it were me, and Jake I ain't, I'd pick up another block. You have 27 years of weather, including a lot of moisture. Can it be salvaged, more than likely. With the cost of a good used short block these days, no question what I'd do. Where are you located? I've got a 351W sitting in a car I'd love to get rid of.

"lethal289" said:
Have you decided the intended use?

If you decide to use that 289, and you can (a machinist would know better). Mine looked like a boat anchor when i started. i would suspect at most the block is use able. Has it been bored before? Are there any cracks? A machine shop would be able to answer these questions. If waters in there, there may not be much hope. At a minimum, You would need a rotating assembly, so have you thought about a stroker kit?
The intended use would be for occasional drive to work, and weekend use. Power, but not radical. T5 Transmission. Something fun to drive around town. But, if I decided to drive old 66 from Chicago to California, it would need to be reliable, and the gas mileage shouldn't be so bad as to be prohibitive. So, I'd be looking for everyone's input here on what to build?

The block has not been bored, but maybe it's rusted out too bad inside to bore.
I would probably go with aluminum heads, but open to all suggestions.
Can a stroker kit be put in a 289 block, or would a 302 block be required? What did you put in yours?

"blue65coupe" said:
If it were me, and Jake I ain't, I'd pick up another block. You have 27 years of weather, including a lot of moisture. Can it be salvaged, more than likely. With the cost of a good used short block these days, no question what I'd do. Where are you located? I've got a 351W sitting in a car I'd love to get rid of.
Located in Illinois.
I was thinking about using this block since it is original to the car. Also, I read that there was no real difference between this block and a K code. I don't know if that's true or not?
I have a couple '67s I could use if this one doesn't work out.

I'll check into some machine shops and see what they have to say.

I wont cost you anything but time to crack her open and see whats inside.... I think all your questions will be answered then. Yes you can stroke a 289.

"Caver 66" said:
I was thinking about using this block since it is original to the car. Also, I read that there was no real difference between this block and a K code. I don't know if that's true or not?

Other than main bearing caps, true.

"RyanG85" said:
I wont cost you anything but time to crack her open and see whats inside.... I think all your questions will be answered then. Yes you can stroke a 289.

Cracked it open and found out what was inside:
100_1084a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back