• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

289 hi po heads

S8NS 289

i have an original pair of 66 289 hi po heads does anyone have a clue what they are really sort of worth? i was going to port and polish them just to say i have done it , but...i'm not sure if i should be pokin' around in there if they are valuable.

thanks in advance, chance

thanks, i knew they were worth something but dont have a price range, think i should just rebuild them and run them?, or sell and get aluminum i'm not looking to build a 350 horse car just a cruiser/daily driver, and can anyone get me straight on the unleaded gas issue? would you put hardened valve seats in hi po heads?

The valve and port size is the same as regular 4v 289 heads, the addition of the screw-in studs and the seat cups is what makes them special. If you're dying to use 289 iron heads, sell yours to a hi-po fanatic and get a set of 289 heads for super cheap to re-do.

Thanks for the advice my buddy has some trick flow twisted wedge heads i might grab, if i can get rid of these heads?,
163867_1763326480359_1155010837_2004098_2564825_n.jpg

4 years ago i was driving by a farm in central WI and saw 3 65-66 mustangs in the cow pasture 2 coupes and 1 fastback [All Very rough shape], i pulled in quick and asked if they were for sale the guy sold the fastback a week before i found it :char a green K code with no motor/trans...i needed a back window for my 68 coupe, so i bought both of the coupes for 150$ a piece, one had a I6, the other a 289 i pulled the heads,intake,water pump, for spares and sold the rest to a friend,a couple weeks ago i was joking to another friend that i had hi-po heads and he wanted to prove me wrong so we decoded them as k code hi po heads :puk

If you can grab the Trick Flows, do it. They're some of the best aftermarket heads out there. I have them on my stroker and I love them.

hp_head.jpg

Second the recommendation to sell the hi-po's and install TFS or iron heads. If the engine is going to remain mostly OEM, the iron heads work fine. I'm still running a set of iron heads on my D-coder and they have about 60K on them and don't have hard seats and they and the engine (no internal mods) are still doing fine after 20 years.

Back