• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

302 Cam Pin

65fast

I am putting together a a 302 with a Billet HR cam. I am still using a mechanical fuel pump which is why I need fuel pump eccentric. The stick was shipped from Comp with a pin already installed.

I went to install my timing gear today and the pin does not extend past the cam gear to engage the eccentric. It pretty much sits flush with the gear, possibly about 1/16" recessed. I need to run a one piece eccentric on this since no one makes a two piece for a 7/16" cam bolt.

I have two extra pins that came with the cam, one short one and one long one. Problem is, I don't know what length the one in the cam is and of course I cannot get it out (tight fit). The pin length of the long extra pin I have is 1.374". When put on the face of the cam next to the installed one, it extends about .455" past that one (pic below).

I'm lost what to do. How much is a pin supposed the engage the eccentric? Just enough to not affect the cam washer? I am guessing I am going to have to take this to a machine shop to get the pin out.

I am close to just putting an electric fuel pump in the car, so I don't have to deal with it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I believe it should sit flush because the washer under the bolt covers the pin. Been a while though...

Long pin is for the 1 piece eccentric and the short pin is for the 2 piece eccentric. Typically the cams are shipped with the short pin installed. I've had success cooling the pin down (Dr Scholls Wart Freeze Away works well if you have it) and using vice grips immediately and twisting the pin to break it loose and remove. Simply pulling it out doesn't seem to work, but twisting does. For some reason I could not get the long pin far enough into the end of the camshaft to clear the cam bolt washer, so I had to get a shorter one from a local machine shop. Oh, and the pin is supposed to go through the eccentric enough to engage it but not protrude out of the hole, as the washer should lay flat against the eccentric face.

As a side note, if you are installing a dual roller timing chain be sure to check the clearance of the 1 piece eccentric to the timing cover. My timing chain for some reason was too thick and the eccentric acted like a hole saw to my timing cover. It left one helluva mess but fortunately was found before I installed the motor to fire it up.

I cut the head off a bolt, then welded the thread to the short pin, then put a short socket down over the pin with thread sticking out, put a nut on it and tightened. It pulled the pin out and then I went with the long pin and it worked fine.

Thanks for all the ideas, I will certainly give them a shot.

I wish I would have tested this out dry with the cam, cam gear, and eccentric on the bench before putting all the oil on it :fbomb

Back