• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

302 CID mild cam

mustang302ci

Okay trying to figure out the date of this 302
The block number is EOAE D3C 15
And under that is the date code its
3028 can some give me the dates of my block.

The e0ae means
E-80's
0-1980
A-Ford
E-engineering

Unless the d3c mean something else, looks like you got a non-roller 1980 block. Rollers didn't start till 85-86

So this will not fit on a c4 trans mission?! It has a mild cam shaft. I thought thats all that mattered
It should fit a V8 C4 with no issue, if the C4 is from a 6 cylinder it would have to be changed to aV8 Bell housing, transmission is the same...

Dm289 do you think its worth putting money into at this point. Im so disappointed right now. I dont know what to do. I hate craigslist. I had this motor for over 6 months and couldn't figure out the casting codes. I thought it was a good motor. Didnt know the year of the motor anything. The guy told me it was a Mild cam. 302 h/o motor. Please help me out brotha give me some good advice

Why do you think it's not a "good motor"? It's the same as a 289 that would have been in there to start. Just because it is not a roller motor doesn't mean it can't be built to have fun. I have built a number of 289/302 engine over the years and have never built a roller. I just put together a nice little 302 for my present car. No roller cam but plenty healthy. It's even got iron heads.Don't buy into all the pimple faced internet know it all BS.

Last edited:
Horseplay thank you man you lifted my spirits. Everyone basically was like ahhhh!! Its a 83 piece of shit. I just put my head down like WTF. I been building this damn thing for 6 months now. By my self no guidance. First project! Im not a mechanic by any means.im just lost and dont know wtf im doing. I turned to these forums. Hoping for positive feedback. Hoping they are wrong. I'll just keep building. I just dont wanna finish it and it sound like a inline 6 with open header lol

This locate engine builder also told me i shouldn't have rebuilt the c4 trans. That was on a 289. I used it for the inline 6 i have. But now that i want to use it for my. 302 he says it wont work. He says there's not a plug? I forget what he said about a plug. But he says its useless on a Non-roller motor 302. So now im stressed about the buying a new trans. Ahhhh! Frustrated as hell right now.

Yeah in '71. Then it was replaced to save my granmas gas. They traded the 289 for a inline 6. Witch wasnt the brightest idea she had. Everything on the 66 is for. 289 V8 even the power steering is v8

That trans should bolt right up and be just fine. Ford used C4s behind just about everything for a very long time. Its a good trans.

Dm289 do you think its worth putting money into at this point. Im so disappointed right now. I dont know what to do. I hate craigslist. I had this motor for over 6 months and couldn't figure out the casting codes. I thought it was a good motor. Didnt know the year of the motor anything. The guy told me it was a Mild cam. 302 h/o motor. Please help me out brotha give me some good advice

In 1983, a 302 from a Mustang GT was called an H.O. Motor... if I am not mistaken... they used a cam with 260° intake, 278° exhaust, lift of .416" intake, .444" exhaust... very similar to an Edelbrock Performer Cam... there is nothing wrong with the engine for an older mustang. Keep in mind though that you must use the later 302 firing order with this engine. Ford made several changes in the early 80's that was one of them along with changing the balance of the motor. Your motor should use a 50 oz flexplate, not an older 28 oz one. Here is a list of all the changes Ford made:
http://www.maverick.to/grabber/late302.html

As for your trans not working, don't know what they guy means... you should be fine

Here is some C4 info:
http://www.pigseye.com/sadie/trans/c4.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns#Falcon_Six_pattern

If your 200 I6 is a pre-77 motor then it should be no problem finding a 289/302 bellhousing / blockplate. They bolt on, transmission is the same.

You are fine... hope this helps...

PS - Your later 302 should have the water pump on the opposite side of an original 289. Not an issue... they make radiators that work with 5.0 Conversions... that would be cheaper and easier than finding the older pulleys, pumps etc... in addition, I would ditch the factory duraspark distributor and get a remanufactured single point style to make wiring easier... these come with points... electronic ignition can follow as budget allows...

Back