• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

302 is coming out.

jmbour66

I'm ready to do the transplant on me 73 vert, I plan on leaving the transmission in place. Do I need to remove the starter?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Re: 302 is combing out.

Okay, thanks.

My headers make it difficult, so I was hoping it could stay in place.

it bolts to the trans trough the motor plate. You will have to at least unbolt it but you may be leave it laying in there. Are you leaving the headers in the car while you swap the engine?

Re: Re: 302 is combing out.

"tarafied1" said:
it bolts to the trans trough the motor plate. You will have to at least unbolt it but you may be leave it laying in there. Are you leaving the headers in the car while you swap the engine?

I thought about pulling the headers with the old engine simply because it would be easier to mount them to the new engine, but I was told that it would be better to leave them in the car.

I'm open to all suggestions.

I believe the headers have to be off to remove the engine for clearance. I have been wrong before so......

It looks like tomorrow is the day for pulling the original out.

I see where I can unbolt the block from the mounts (2 bolts each side), or I can leave 1/2 the mount on the block and pull one bolt on each side.

Any thoughts?

Okay,

I put the new engine in over the weekend without too much pain. Over lunch today I reinstalled the starter and thought I would crank the engine to make sure everything was coming together, the engine would not crank!

Prior to putting the engine back in I was able to turn the engine by hand at the harmonic balancer with both the flex plate and the torque converter installed.

I removed the starter thinking maybe it was jammed, it wasn't and now I can't turn the engine by hand anymore.

Did I miss something with the tranny or something else? :Mark

I'm guessing you don't have the converter fully engaged in the trans since you wrote you had the flexplate and it mounted to the engine. I've never done it that way myself. Always put the converter on the trans and then mounted the trans to the engine/flexplate.

Wish I could help, but I've never messed with an auto transmission.

Obviously I haven't either! I'm guessing Terry is right on the money, I just hope there is a way to fix it without pulling the engine again.......

Other please chime in here as well if you have actual experience. I'm thinking that the converter is not fully seated into the trans and has created a bind when he bolted things back together. Looking for confirmation.

Unless somebody else has away around this I'll pull the engine again :yah with the Torque Converter attached to the flexplate, remove the converter and seat it in the transmission, and reinstall the engine.

How do I know if the Torque converter is seated properly?

Fill up the converter with fluid and then slide it onto the trans shaft pushing it on until it feels like it "hits bottom". Now applying just a small amount of force against it, spin the converter slowly until you feel it move in a bit more. This is it engaging the trans pump.
If you look on the end of the converter shaft you will see a couple notches. It drops in that second little bit when the notches are lined up with the internal pump. I hope that makes sense.

"Horseplay" said:
Fill up the converter with fluid and then slide it onto the trans shaft pushing it on until it feels like it "hits bottom". Now applying just a small amount of force against it, spin the converter slowly until you feel it move in a bit more. This is it engaging the trans pump.
If you look on the end of the converter shaft you will see a couple notches. It drops in that second little bit when the notches are lined up with the internal pump. I hope that makes sense.

That makes sense. thanks

If you lay a straight edge across the face of the bellhousing and measure from it to the face of the mounting feet of the converter it should be about 1 1/8" when fully seated.

Sounds like you are on the right track. The bad news is if the torque converter wasn't lined up correctly and you used the bolts to pull the transmission and motor together you probably damaged the pump.

"Grabber70Mach" said:
Sounds like you are on the right track. The bad news is if the torque converter wasn't lined up correctly and you used the bolts to pull the transmission and motor together you probably damaged the pump.
I broke a pump that way but for a different reason. 460's and older 429's have a different size pilot. But I broke the pump trying to "pull' the engine and trans together with the bolts.
I think Terry hit on the head, I hope there is no damage. You might be able to separate the engine and trans in the car without pulling either. Just keep the trans on a jack and pull it back enough to get at the converter.

"Grabber70Mach" said:

There was about 1/4" of tough wrenching........how do I check the pump?

Back