• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

302 is coming out.

Stay away from the header wrap. It has a tendency to collect condensation while cooling and rot out the headers. Get a mini-starter.

Okay, thanks.

It turns the header wrap costs about as much as a mini starter.

I'll probably hold off until next spring to do anything; the Vert season in Iowa is coming to an end!

"apollard" said:
I'd check out db electrical. Lots of guys around here have used them for starters & alts, as well as a lot of my boating buddies. Never heard one bad things, high quality at great price. Wish I'd known about them before I got my used 3G alt.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-1321-new- ... d0001.aspx

Thanks a bunch, I'll check them out.

My current problem is that the car idles great, but stalls seconds after I put it in drive. The timing seems to be good (based on a vacuum gauge), so I think my next step will be to play with the carburetor..........

Re: 302 is coming out.

Just had a thought.....could I be under carb'd?

The engine is a 302 roller
Bored 40 over
E303 cam
GT heads
Victor Jr intake
C4 stock trans

My current carb is 600 CFM, with a vacuum secondary.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

You are good with that carb. I am running the same set up except for the bored out. You should have about 320-340hp. I am using 1.7 ratio rockers also.
My carb is jetted 67primary and 72 secondary.

I doubt it. My 289 is punched out pretty far and I'm only running a 650DP

Latest update: I've got 15lbs of consistent vacuum, my idle in neutral is 1000 rpm, when I put it in gear it drops down to about 500. Is this normal?

Bored 40 over
E303 cam
GT heads
Victor Jr intake
C4 stock trans
Plugs are gaped at 35
Stock Distributor and Coil
carb is 600 CFM, with a vacuum secondary.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Large drop in idle is usually a lean idle setting. Normal is 150-250 rpm IME. Check the idle settings to make sure they are not too lean.

"apollard" said:
Large drop in idle is usually a lean idle setting. Normal is 150-250 rpm IME. Check the idle settings to make sure they are not too lean.

Okay, I'll play around with that. I'd like to get both the neutral idle and the in gear idle at about 600 rpm if possible.

"jmbour66" said:
Okay, I'll play around with that. I'd like to get both the neutral idle and the in gear idle at about 600 rpm if possible.
That's awfully low, especially for neutral.

What Terry said - nuetral and drive will not be near the same for an older carbed car with an automatic - there will be a couple hundred difference. 600 in drive would be OK - assuming your engine is stock or a very mild build.

"apollard" said:
What Terry said - nuetral and drive will not be near the same for an older carbed car with an automatic - there will be a couple hundred difference. 600 in drive would be OK - assuming your engine is stock or a very mild build.

Here is the engine data:

Bored 40 over
E303 cam
GT heads
Victor Jr intake
C4 stock trans
Plugs are gaped at 35
Stock Distributor and Coil
carb is 600 CFM, with a vacuum secondary.

Maybe I should shoot for 1000 and 800 or so?

1000 would be too high unless it's got a nice lumpy cam. I have to keep mine at 1100 or it'll load up die.

With an E303 cam, you should be able to idle at 800-850, 650 or so in drive. That's not that radical a cam (and pretty much the same as the Lunatti in my build).

"apollard" said:
With an E303 cam, you should be able to idle at 800-850, 650 or so in drive. That's not that radical a cam (and pretty much the same as the Lunatti in my build).

I'll shoot for that. Thanks to all!

I played around with the carb and had zero luck, I can't get it to a point where the car will stay running unless I'm at
1000+ RPM's in neutral and then it drops down to that 500 (a bit less) in gear.

Could it be the timing, or the plugs, or?

Did you change the firing order to the HO 5.0 order? It is different from the 73 firing order.

I've been messing with the carb and timing and can get it set to a decent Park/Neutral Idle, but then I put it in gear and it stalls out.

any suggestions? I'm close to ditching my Summit Carb, but it worked great on the last engine!

Back