• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

351 Cleveland Power.

See there. I told you he was a smart fellah. He got a job because he knows thats what it takes to build your dreams. Not to mention afford that perfume. LOL

"Fordication" said:
See there. I told you he was a smart fellah. He got a job because he knows thats what it takes to build your dreams. Not to mention afford that perfume. LOL

Thannnnnks man.

Not to be disagreeable but 4v heads are NOT the way to go. Way too much port volume to get any kind of signal to the carb. We race cleveland fords in NHRA superstock, and have to use 4v heads, and have FILLED both the intake and exhaust ports significantly. Look up what the builders for the engine masters challence have been doing over the last few years with the cleveland and 400m engines. To a builder they have used the CHI heads and intakes. You can't go too wrong following what Jon Kaase has done.

Like has been said before speed costs. Unless you want to run DEEP into the 7 second range you will not have the fastest car in several counties.

"droptop73" said:
Not to be disagreeable but 4v heads are NOT the way to go. Way too much port volume to get any kind of signal to the carb. We race cleveland fords in NHRA superstock, and have to use 4v heads, and have FILLED both the intake and exhaust ports significantly. Look up what the builders for the engine masters challence have been doing over the last few years with the cleveland and 400m engines. To a builder they have used the CHI heads and intakes. You can't go too wrong following what Jon Kaase has done.

Like has been said before speed costs. Unless you want to run DEEP into the 7 second range you will not have the fastest car in several counties.

Let me limit it to fastest street legal car in a few counties in a Quarter...

They are aluminum Cleveland heads developed in Australia. One of the best bolt on aluminum heads for a cleveland. They even have a Jon Kaase designed CNC ported head.

"southern_boy" said:
Let me limit it to fastest street legal car in a few counties in a Quarter...

I do mean street cars. We have a couple here in W.Michigan in the 7.50 range... yes I'm talking 1/4 mile times. 9 and 10 sec.cars are fairly common.

"droptop73" said:
I do mean street cars. We have a couple here in W.Michigan in the 7.50 range... yes I'm talking 1/4 mile times. 9 and 10 sec.cars are fairly common.

That's Michigan, this is Texas, and I live in small town with about 2500 people surrounded by other counties with less then that, and its mostly trucks and SUV's. And the occasional kid with rich parents, who think they have a BA car, that's my main target. lol

To the OP - If you don't already know about it, you might check out the 351c forum:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/

Lots of info on the 335 series engines over there.

Whatever you end up doing, make sure you use one-piece valves. You really don't want the stock 2-piece valve popping the head off into your cylinder at high rpm's :eek:

I think Johnpro had the best advise. Set a goal you can measure such as a 12 second street car. If you build a 7 second car you won't enjoy driving it! It will be faster than most anything you'll come up against but that isn't really what you want. I think you want a car YOU restored/built that is to be respected whether it's the fastest or not. Rich kids will not be impressed so don't waist your time on them, they have no clue about reality. If you are always trying to prove something you will get into trouble, trust me. Build a car YOU can be proud of and enjoy. It has taken me a long time to learn this, I built a crazy every trick in the book car out of my first car and it was a PIA and not very reliable and it almost got me killed. It was quick and it did win it's share of races but I truly almost died more than once in that car and I grew to hate driving it because often I was walking home. One of the coolest things I've done with my mild 429 powered 67 is just look at the clown next to me like he is waisting my time and he looks like a real punk trying to show off as he peals out from the light. I drive on unimpressed, it pisses them off more than getting beat!
just my 2 cents

Back