• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

351 Cleveland Set up

Can everybody that has a 351 Cleveland, please tell me about your set up. Is it all stock? Do you have aluminum radiators? Electric Fans? Aluminum Heads? What is your angle on the Aussie 351 Cleveland Aluminum heads? Electric or Mechanical fuel pump? What kind of ignition? Do you have a serpentine kit on it? Carbureted or EFI? What cam are you using?
Also has anybody or anybodies friends ever used the self tuning EZ-EFI conversion from FAST? And what are ya'lls comments on it?

Could you also give some picture's of your set up?

This is my 351C old school build up.
The idea was to keep it simple and under a budget that would not break my wallet.
With some smart shopping and waiting for the right parts to come along, I did it all for under $3500.00

Starting with a D2AE 4 bolt block with balanced rotating assy and 12.5 raised dome pistons.
Stuffing a CompCam 282S solid lifter with double roller timing chain and gears into it.
A high vol melling oil pump with hardened shaft covered with a 8qt baffled oil pan,.
Heads are OC D3zz new large valved dual spring-ed with 7/16 screw in rocker studs and guide plates holding 1.73 full roller rockers and 3/8 pushrods.
Intake is a Holley Strip Dom with 1in spacer and Holley750 vac sec carb slightly tweaked for performance.
Ign is Mallory dual point mec adv with 8.5 wires and Hooker long tube headers thru Magnaflows out the rear val.
A Hawk's alum flywheel with Hays pp and ceramic disc is covered with a Lakewood scattersheild and driveshaft loop.
Cooling it is a high vol alum water pump, 180 stat, stock clutch fan pulling air thru stock 24in rad with shroud.

Needs new Ac hard line to finish it off to new Sandon compressor and the system charged.
The engine runs cool in traffic and will make the tires cry at will. :)

My 73 351C has 70 4V closed chamber quench heads, roller rockers, 70 4V intake, bore 4.030 stroke 4.000, SCAt 408 stroker kit, Comp Cams hydr roller cam (291 intake duration SAE, 297 exhaust duration SAE, .558 intake valve lift, .577 exhaust valve lift, 110 lobe seperation), Pro-Systems 750 double pumper, ICE electronic ingition, Edlbrock water pump, holey mech fuel pump, Probe pistons, Melling oil pump, ARP bolt kit, Ceramic coated Hooker Comp headers, Magnaflow 2.5 stainless exhaust system

This setup was dyno'd at 532 ft/tq and 510 hp peak

Mike

My engine starts OK in cooler temps, but I attribute it to not having a choke system on my carb. If I had a carb with a choke it would start great in cooler temps.

"Mr_B" said:
My engine starts OK in cooler temps, but I attribute it to not having a choke system on my carb. If I had a carb with a choke it would start great in cooler temps.

Would it start better if it had a TBI set-up on it?

WOW! That is a nice setup. I would love to see pictures of it installed on a 351C if you go that route.

"Mr_B" said:
WOW! That is a nice setup. I would love to see pictures of it installed on a 351C if you go that route.

It will be a while considering im a Senior in high school, and its football season (which I play) and so it is tough to get a job at the moment. I'm considering trying to work somewhere on weekends that way I can work to get some more stuff to start getting my Mach 1 simply driveable, working lights, blinkers, get it to actually start, fix the clutch problem. Then I figure after I actually get it running pretty good. Then work on upgrading the drive-ability bit, such as the heads im planning for it, headers, TBI system, aluminum radiator, Ignition kit. Then after I have the engine where I want it, do the body work. The way I figure it, theirs no reason in it looking good if it doesn't run good. But a rough looking body won't take away from its drive-ability really, just won't be a car show winner.

Back