• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

351C Water Restrictor

whelessray

For you Cleveland guys out there, do I need to install the water restrictor? Does the engine run hotter without it? I accidentally left it out so I am trying to decide whether to go back and put it in. (As this is my first Ford engine, I didnt even know what it was!

It goes in the engine block under the thermostat, I've read that they are needed but can't remember what it exactly does. I have one in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"whelessray" said:
For you Cleveland guys out there, do I need to install the water restrictor? Does the engine run hotter without it? I accidentally left it out so I am trying to decide whether to go back and put it in. (As this is my first Ford engine, I didnt even know what it was!

YES, it is important you put the brass restrictor back in and use a 351C specific Tstat (Robertson shaw 333). Most autoparts stores will sell you the Windsor Tstat, it fits but doesn't have the lower bonnet that when open sits on the brass restrictor to block off the bypass. Ford designed it this way so when engine was cold the back cylinders (I believe the back 4) don't have the water circulating and warm up faster therefore the engine runs more efficiently faster.
So, when you run a Clev without it the back cylinders get very poor circulation and run way hotter potentially causing damage to those cylinders/rings. You likely wouldn't even realize it b/c the temp sensor is at the front of the block.
If your restrictor is damaged or lost there is a new restrictor out that has a very small bleed hole that allows you to run a W Tstat. I think West Coast Classic Cougars sells them.
I prefer the OEM system.
Oh and for the guy that asked where its located in the block, it is press fit into a hole just below the Tstat.

No probs.
Actually Stant and several others make a Tstat Clev specific I just don't have the #s handy right now. I think someone posted it on the old 351c.net forum somewhere.

Back