• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

351w roller motor ?

GT350

A few questions regarding a motor i just picked up its a 94/5 ish 351w roller motor had fuel inj on from a f250 pick up i think.
1.i want to fit this into my 67 with carb set up my concerns are will the dipstick which comes out of the block at drivers side interfere with headers on a 67?
2. what grind roller cam can i fit using the existing heads,for fast street use
3.i want to fit a double roller timing chain and use a mechanical fuel pump will the pump cam rub against the timing cover?
4. can i fit standard 67/70 pulleys on and what yr water pump should i use

I would think the easy solution would be to go with the earlier timing cover. It will bolt to your block and clear the roller chain and FP eccentric. The late dip stick will clear most headers, sometimes it will take a LITTLE tweaking to clear but that is a result of a particular header and not so much the design of the dip stick tube. Most early timing covers have either the OEM style hole for the early dip stick tube, or a flat in the same place that is un-drilled that you can drill to add the early tube. That would also be another way to go with the dipstick tube. Of course then you just go with an early water pump style to match.
Your crank pulley needs to change. The late motor uses a 4 bolt serpentine pulley and you have to use the balancer from the late motor. There are conversion pulleys out there all over the place for V-belt 4 bolt and several OEM pulleys will also work. This is more of a function of which accessory drives you need and will need to be hashed out.
Cam won't be an issue. There are 100 different grinds that will slide into your motor. Any OEM-type SBF roller cam will work and any grind that is 5.0 specific can be ground with a 351 firing order. Since you are going carb you can even run a 5.0 cam as-is by just re-wiring the distributor to the 5.0 firing order. Be a little careful when installing the timing gear on the cam. You will need the early aluminum spacer between the cam face and the gear on most of these set-ups.

I believe the front or rear sump on the oil pan dictates the position of the dipstick. For classic Mustang install, you will need the front dipstick as long as your steering stays basic classic style.

I have this same motor in my 67 and just went with an early timing cover with front dipstick tube. I just put a little plug in the side of the block. All my pullies are the early style.

I'm running a roller 302 in my fastback, which is similiar. Since I went with the serpentine belt setup, I decided to go with the T/C cover from the late model. I just grabbed a drill bit and made the hole for the dipstick tube. I just plugged the dipstick tube in the side of the block. There are several methods to do this: 1. some people just just a wood dowel and tap it in. The dowel will expand when soaked in oil and not come out. 2. tap the hole for a pipe plug.

As mentioned earlier, don't forget about the balancer, and get one with the correct balance. There's a place here in Redding that has all sorts of conversion balancers called Damper Docter. That's where I got mine - I'm running a serpentine setup on the 28 oz balance. And I know that they sell 50 oz. balancers for the older v-belt setups. If you need some contact info, let me know. They're good guys to deal with.

-rob

IIRC the 5.8L all used 28oz balancers. Only the 5.0L used the 50oz, assuming my memory is correct. With that, you should be able to use any quality aftermarket 28oz balancer. Are you using the stock crank from that block?

Keep in mind that if you use the late model timing cover, you'll need the reverse flow waterpump and serpentine pulleys and brackets. If you use the early style timing cover, you'll need the standard rotation water pump and early bracketry pulleys from a 70-later 351w.

As far as plugging the hole in the block, I used a very small freeze-plug looking cap.
I think it came with either the dipstick I bought or the timing cover.

When I was contemplating swapping over to the serpentine and reverse rotation water pump, I had heard that the water passages were different. I posted that question over on the cooling sub-board. Both the original cover and late model cover had the exact same water passages. The only reason i swapped over to the late model, was the difference in the thickness of the bolts where the timing pointer attached.

"GT350" said:
4. can i fit standard 67/70 pulleys on and what yr water pump should i use

There's no such thing as a '67-'70 pulley, no matter what all the catalogs say. There's the '67-'69 pulleys and the '70/later ones, and they are NOT interchangeable. Which brackets and pulleys you run depend on the water pump and the dampner.

"66gt350" said:
When I was contemplating swapping over to the serpentine and reverse rotation water pump, I had heard that the water passages were different. I posted that question over on the cooling sub-board. Both the original cover and late model cover had the exact same water passages. The only reason i swapped over to the late model, was the difference in the thickness of the bolts where the timing pointer attached.

Depends on the year and motor from what I know. Note the direction of the flow passages, lack of boss for oil dipstick tube, and lack of mechanical fuel pump section.

The 5.0L timing cover for 87-93
DRM-635-100.jpg

The 302 timing cover:
91017407_L.jpg

The 94-95 timing cover is totally different. Couldn't find any pics but found one on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-FORD ... ccessories

The T/C that I took off the looks like this one. The water passages are the same as the standard rotation. The one I'm using comes directly off an '89 GT motor. Don't ask me why they're different, but I've had no problems with overheating. It doesn't have the place for the mechanical fuel pump.

Attachments

• timingcover.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 43
Back