• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

352 FE engine : your comment

B67FSTB

The NorCal dude from Belgium
I have to opportunity to buy ( if the price is right ) a 352 FE engine probably 1966 .
Your opinion or comments are welcome. Pros and cons .

I had a 1965 Ford Ranch Wagon with a 352 in it. This was in 1970. Biggest piece of crap I ever had for an engine. No matter what was done, mpg was low compared to other cars of like size with all different motors. It did run forever no matter how I treated it. After trying to get better performance and not having much luck, I drove the piss out of it. I personally would not have one but that is one opinion....

I don't know much , but it is to me a BB with low CID , so it for a truck or jeep that must have some torque in the lower RPM but not much of BHP at the wheels.MPG isn't for these days acceptical.
More comments please.

I may be wrong, but I remember reading that all 390's and even some 427/428's were cast as 352 engine blocks. Are you sure it really is a 352 ci engine?

I had one in a 63 Galaxie (my first car). Was geared real high. My guess was 2.78 but that engine ran great. Was not alot of horsepower but never let me down. Hell punch that block 0.050 over and install a stroker crank and you can get it up to 440 CID. Could be fun.

The 352 and 390 blocks have the same external dimensions so a 352 block will fit into a Mustang engine compartment. However, if you are thinking of boring out the 352 to make a 390 be aware that the stock bores are 4.002 and 4.052 inches, respectively, meaning that you would need to bore the 352 out .050 which may be an issue due to cylinder wall thickness. Sonic check the block to see if it can take that much of a bore without leaving the remaining cylinder wall thickness too thin. You would also need a 390 crank. Lastly, be aware that the exhaust manifolds on a 352 will not fit into a Mustang engine bay and the Mustang 390 cylinder heads have a different exhaust bolt hole pattern. In any event, the FE motors in stock configurations are often derided as fairly heavy being all cast iron. With aluminum heads, intake, and water pump, a 390 would be only slightly heavier than a small block (289). At the end of the day, if your goal is a 390, IMHO it would probably be more cost effective to start with a 390 engine. That being said, as a 390 owner, I agree with the old hot rodder's adage: "There is no substitute for cubic inches".

Thx Jeff for the advice.
It was indeed a tought of mine to make it a 390 or a 428.
In the beginning i as thinking the engine was actual a 390 or 428.
I have read that the difference between a 390 and 428 is the stroke .
I think it costs way too much to transform it into an engine for a mustang.
Thx Jeff.

"Midlife" said:
I may be wrong, but I remember reading that all 390's and even some 427/428's were cast as 352 engine blocks. Are you sure it really is a 352 ci engine?

That's what I'm thinking too, most, if not ALL, FE's were marked "352" no matter what they were.

I used to have a 67 F250 with a 352ci, and I was told it's much harder to change a 352 into a 390 than the 360 block. The 352 and 360 blocks are similar castings, but there are differences. The 360 was introduced in 68, and to convert a 360 into a 390 I was told all you needed to change was the crank.

But take my info with a grain of salt. I'm in no way an engine expert; it's just what I was told when I owned the 67 F250.

I am still waiting for the block casting number , so i can check things out.
But nevertheless all info or thoughts are welcome ! :ecit

The casting number from the block may narrow it down for you but it won't be an absolute answer to what engine it is. Use that as a tool to help the identification but you may need to check the bore and stroke, and also the wall thickness of the cylinders. Again, do a search on FE forums and you can find a lot of info.

Yes, the 390s are stamped with 352, including the one in my fastback. It came out of a 68 Cougar. Gave me a start until I researched the history of FE engines. Check and see what it really is.

My friend has a 428 motor all machined with new edelbrock heads no intake for sale not far from you in u.k £1500

Back