• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

3g alt size question

steveh326

looks like PA Performance has 2 different 3G alternators that will fit using the stock brackets, 95 and 150amp. I am thinking the 95amp will be plenty for my car, will be running upgraded headlights, fog/running lights, new stereo and maybe a small amp or sub someday... am I right in my thinking?

95 should be plenty, however you can get a 130 from a 95 Mustang for a better price. For example, Rock Auto has a new Remy Gold for $118.00.

Is the 95 3g alternator a direct swap? Does it get rid of the external regulator? I hate that thing cluttering up the engine bay.

Bill

"monkeystash" said:
95 should be plenty, however you can get a 130 from a 95 Mustang for a better price. For example, Rock Auto has a new Remy Gold for $118.00.

thanks for saving me some $$ ! does the v pulley just sway right over in place of the 6 groove?

It does, but with the many pulley and bracket configurations Ford built, I've heard of folks tweaking depth with washers if needed.

Save the $20 on the pigtail and grab one at a pick and pull. I did the swap on the 65 but haven't run it more than engine brake in. I've read that the extra load is a little more than the single v belt can handle. Don't know for sure on that though.

"RyanG85" said:
I've read that the extra load is a little more than the single v belt can handle. Don't know for sure on that though.

I read that too. I'm planning a double v-belt setup, mainly just to keep things quiet.

"monkeystash" said:
"RyanG85" said:
I've read that the extra load is a little more than the single v belt can handle. Don't know for sure on that though.

I read that too. I'm planning a double v-belt setup, mainly just to keep things quiet.

I can confirm that. When I was running a v-belt setup, I was having issues with the belt.

I'm running a single v pulley with no issues. I payed particular attention when aligning it though. Had to be shimmed forward a tad to line up correctly.

I'm hoping to be able to make the single v work also, running a double will cause me to rework all the belts and pulleys... I've seen some deep v pulleys that should offer better grip.

Back