• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

4-link rear .

B67FSTB

The NorCal dude from Belgium
Hi guys

I want to know your opinions of what you think about a 4 link in the rear.
We have TCP , Ridetech , Heidts .....
Pro's and cons about those systems.
I have questions and particuly about the exhaust .
Can it be routed over the rear axle or not.
Any comments are welcome.

Interesting... I never looked closely at Ridetech, but the kit I built mine from is very similar to RideTech's 18987999 / 18988099 (Weld-in Air4Link - Triangulated). If mine was made by the same manufacturer, then I would shy away from it, or at least replace the welded end of the lower link with a hiem joint for better articulation and less stress.

The lower control arms looked great welded and all, but the weld penetration was very poor. The bushing housing is about an 1/8" thick, but welded to the arm which had much thicker wall 3/8" or more. Well needless to say, the joint failed... (thankfully just pulling out of a parking lot, and not at the top end of the drag strip)...

Anyway, with urethane bushings on both ends, when the body rolls or the suspension is forced to articulate, there is more stress on those joints. Also, since the adjustable end is threaded on and locked with a jam nut, after repeated cycles, the jam nut would back off.

On my lower arms I now have hiem joints on both ends. Since I'm using a Fox rear end, the upper links retain the rubber bushings in the axle housing, and I stayed with the urethane bushings on the adjustable end since there is no significant axial stress on them given the rubber bushing being more compliant.

I have no experience with the others. Hiedts has a good reputation, but my preference would be the TCP G Bar if I was in the market for a Mustang specific kit.

I have a G Bar on my car and it has performed well for me. I did recently swap out the rear shocks for a set from JRI to increase the performace a little more. I plan on auto Xing the car more and that was just part of my plan. If I were to do it over again I likely would go with what Shaun at Street or Track has with his 3 link kor to give Mike Maier a call at Maiermotorsports.com. He helped me with the shocks and like Shaun really know his crap. Give them both a call and then make your decision.

If you really want to stay with a 4 link G-bar is great. I likely will require you to run the exhaust under the axle but some were able to do it over if the upper mount of the shock is in the outside mouning point. TCP and Ridetech are basically the same design but TCP seems to be a bit heavier guage and larger materials for the cradle assembly. What is nice about both of those systems is you won't need a panhard bar like you will with a Hiedts system. Hiets uses a parralel 4 link instead of triangulated like the others do.

Well , I took some time to compare some systems and Ridetech is the lesser strong setup IMO.
I love the TCP G-link setup. Looks solid but a bit $$$.
Heidts setup looks to be very good , except the upper mount of the panhard bar.Its a bit on the long side so it might be flex a bit.My 0.02eurocent.
I don't like the exhaust routed beneath the axle.
But it seems thats the pain in the a$$ when you want a 4 link.:mad::mad:

Back