• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

400 build for a Truck

sigtauenus

Anybody here build up a truck 400 engine?

I've had my truck 11 years, and I really only don't drive it much because of a lack of a/c, hard starts, and really really bad gas mileage (10-11 mpg). I figured with my Mustang almost done, I'll soon start working on the truck some more. Number one priority is an aftermarket a/c kit. I've been saying that for years, but this is the year. Next priority will be engine work. How much engine work remains to be seen, but I'm feeling out my options.

I have a 351M in my 78 F-150. A few months back I bought headers and dual exhaust for it, and also looked at an alum intake and Holley 4-v for it but haven't bought that yet.

However, I'm thinking that may not be enough. I'm now thinking of either gutting the block and putting in a 400 crank and pistons and changing the cam too, or picking up a 400 off Craigslist and doing a complete rebuild.

From what I've read, the 351M/400 had very low compression ratios, and I can get a big boost by using some pop-up pistons and/or closed chamber 351C or aussie heads. I'm trying to track down what's available in aftermarket alum heads.

So I'm looking for suggestions for heads and cam.

Goal is to take advantage of the 400 cubic inches and letting it breath, while also having a good reliable street/towing/hauling truck.

Transmission was recently rebuilt with a towing shift kit, transfer case rebuilt at same time, and rear end rebuilt some time ago but still solid.

Not much help, but I'm guessing that whatever mods you make to the 351/400M you won't see your gas mileage make any significant improvements. Being 4WD and heavy you're going to burn through some fuel.

Back