• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

428 Startup Help

Johnny M

So about 5 years ago I bought my 428 motor. I was dealing with a guy called Jack Hall of Halls Restorations at the time for some other items.(I warn you to stay away from this guy)
I mentioned I was looking for an FE motor. He had bare rebuilt 428 sitting there from another customer that decided "to go in a different direction with his car project" The engine was supposedly rebuilt by a local machine shop that rebuilt all Halls engines. At the time Jack seemed like a decent guy so I bought the motor. I struggled to get any documentation about the motor but finally got a bullet point list of the spec. Bored 0.30 over, new valve seats, new cam, etc etc. I called the shop that rebuilt the motor but they told me that they do not track individual rebuilds for a specific motor so they do not have any records for my actual motor(surprise, surprise) And since buying the motor Jack Hall turned out to be a very dishonest person that tried to rip me off on several other things but thats a whole different story.

I added an Edelbrock RPM preformer intake, Comcept one pulley kit, 750cfm 4bbl Holley Car, new fly wheel, pressure plate, kevlar/kevlar clutch, Modern Drivelines hydraulic clutch setup, Lakewood bell housing, Custom ceramic coated full length headers, MSD Ignition system, Canton high volume pan to suit the R&C Cross member, Tremec 5spd gear box.

So my car build is at the stage where it was time to start the motor and I got a mechanic friend to help me out with the start up.

We went through the motor from top to bottom checking all connections, hoses, bolts etc. Added oil, fuel and all other fuilds, Checked if we were getting a spark, etc

So we started to add water to the rad to fill the cooling system. Shortly afterwards we noticed that oil was pouring out onto the floor. It was coming from the old oil dip stick hole in the block. (when you change to a Canton pan the dip stick tube goes directly into the pan and i was supposed to blank the port in the block, opps). We thought this was a little odd but put it down to overfilling it with oil..

We took the spark plugs out and started turning it over on the start motor to try and build oil oil pressure but it would not build. We then checked the dip stick and noticed water in the oil. We stopped everything.

We stripped the intake off but no major signs of loose bolts, leaks, etc

I drained the oil pan and there was about 2 gallons of water in it. The bellhousing was also full of water and overflowing out onto the ground.

I thought that it may be one of frost expansion plugs that came loose/leaked which would explain the water in the bell housing but that would not explain the water in the oil pan. And the rate at which it was leaking looks more like an open hole rather than a weeping/leaking. I spoke to an engine builder here in Ireland and he mentioned that there may be a plug on the front and back of the block that the original engine builder might've forgotten to put in during the build. I have drained and flushed the motor with diesel to get the water out of it. We plan to check the motor then blank all the ports on the water system and pressure test it, then do the same with the intake. I read online that getting a good seal between the heads/intake can be a challenge with these motors. Any tips on this?

With the cross member I have to remove the bell housing and gearbox to pull the motor which is a PITA without a car lift but it looks like i have no option to see how the water is getting into the bell housing.

So if there are any FE/engine gurus out there that might be able please feel free to chime in. Here in Ireland there are very few people that know the FE motors in detail. I would be happy to call anyone to save time writing a response and it may not be as simple as a one liner. Drop me a PM if you would prefer that.

All and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Needless to say i was hoping to have my engine running by now but instead I am stripping it down. :bomb

Thanks,

Johnny

"RyanG85" said:
Any updates Johnny?

Yea...A very happy update.

I was away on vacation for a week so never got a chance to figure out the issue.

So i took the carb/intake off, made up plates to blank the water ports on the heads, plugged all the pipes and pressure tested. It held pressure without a leak.

Turns out Jack Hall ( :gs) who put the edelbrock intake on the motor made a total mess of the job. So the water was escaping between the heads and the intake.

Once I get new gaskets i hope to start it this week.

Back on track but not quick enough to have it ready for Mike.

"Grabber70Mach" said:
Johnny I am not real familiar with the FE motors but have heard a lot of good about this place.....

http://survivalmotorsports.com

I think most say they talk to Barry. Good luck.

Thanks for the info.

Spoke with Barry and have just ordered all new gaskets/seals with him. He really knows his FE engines.

That is the reason I built an engine run stand for my 428 CJ. I want to iron out all the bugs and have it tuned before dropping into the car.

The Plot Thickens

So I got a full set of new seals in and started building back up the motor.

We noticed that there was something odd about the port closed the firwall on the drivers side....On further inspection we noticed that the intake is not covering the water port on the cylinder head!!!!!!!!

IMG_5819_zpse02aa2a8.jpg

IMG_5822_zpsdcedd837.jpg

If you look at the pics you will see that there should be a lip on the face of each port about 6=8mm thick. If you look at the front port it is there then it gets thinner and thinner until it is completely gone on the last port.
IMG_5832_zpsa6538906.jpg

I would imagine that they machine down certain surfaces after the manifodls are cast and it looks like they ground too much off one side of the manifold. Either way it is a manufacturing fault. I have called Edelbrock already and they have told me that they will "sort this out" despite buying the item 3-4 years ago.

Fair play to Edelbrock. They are replacing the intake for free despite me buying it 5 years ago.

Luckily the Edelbrock agent in the UK has a replacement which i should get before the end of the week.

Had to do this to my old one to prove it could not end up with someone else.

IMG_5845_zpscdd392db.jpg

Well hell Johnny, there's your problem. Damn thing is in 2 pieces!

New one test fitted. This will work!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373320504.168336.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373320504.168336.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 36
Back