• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

5.0 Liter EFI Swap onto 351 Windsor?

Can it be done? Has anybody put a 5.0 Liter EFI onto a 351 Windsor? I want to Fuel Inject my 351 Windsor but I dont want to have to spend 1000 to get a kit when I can buy a Fuel Injection system off of another vehicle and make it work. Which I think I can do. But I haven't dealt with Fuel Injection ever. So I was wondering what do I need to do if I want to do this conversion? Its an old worn 351 Windsor so I really dont want to spend the 1000+ dollars on a new kit. What do I need to do? Know anybody thats done it or are there any posts on here about somebody whos done it? Help please.

You're not going to put a 5.0 multi-port injection on a 351w. The 351 is too big and the lower intake won't fit. You may be able to do it with throttle body injection.

Actually, you'll want to do a 5.8 efi conversion. Like John said the 5.0 intake won't fit -- IIRC, I heard once that there were some spacer that could be used to put a 302 intake on a 351. But with all the 5.8 efi intakes out there, I wouldn't mess with those spacers. Also, you'll need to get the computer from a 5.8 vehicle, unless you're planning on going into the computer and tweaking the program. One of the scalar values is the engine displacement.

There's several pieces that you'll need to get from a donor vehicle, obviously the upper and lower intake, mass air sensor, fuel injectors, fuel rail. Grab all the wiring harness, distributor and coil, might as well grab the oxygen sensors. If you don't grab all the smog stuff or program it out using Tweecer or Quarterhorse, the computer will be throwing soft codes and keeping the check engine light on. You'll need to upgrade your fuel system, a high pressure fuel pump is needed along with a return line.

There are several good sites for doing an efi conversion. JamesW has put together a good one: http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/, another good reference is http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/.

The 5.0 conversion has been done quite a bit and it should be the same as doing a 5.8 conversion, I've done it to my fastback and love it. I'm still in the process of modifying the computer so it will run. I don't know what cam your running, but if it's a bit more radical, the computer may not know how to handle it. My motor is out of a '89 GT and it had the Ford Motorsport E303 cam, which the stock computer does not like. It runs a little rich at idle, and leads to the dreaded idle surge. I'm still in the process of modifying the computer so it will run, but at least I've got it so it will idle and stall at random stop lights.

If you decide to go with the efi setup, ask lots of questions. I know a few people have done it here at Stangfix.

AFAIK the full size ford vehicles like the F150 and the vans had EFI 5.8L but the intakes are too tall to fit under your hood. You can always go with the 5.8 lower and 5.0 upper, or go aftermarket with the entire intake.

"buening" said:
AFAIK the full size ford vehicles like the F150 and the vans had EFI 5.8L but the intakes are too tall to fit under your hood. You can always go with the 5.8 lower and 5.0 upper, or go aftermarket with the entire intake.
The runners are different between a car and truck lower, you just can't put a mustang upper on a truck lower. When Sabrina had a Saleen upper on her '89 GT, she used a 5.0 truck lower to match up with the saleen upper. For about $100 bucks there is an adapter that you can add between the two to get them to work:

I dont know if the hood clearence will be a problem, to tell you the truth this isnt for a car, but I just didn't mention that it wasnt for a car because this is a Mustang site, so I figured id leave that minor detail out.

Here are a few more ideas for your efi project. The 5.0 mustang engine can supply a lot of parts. The 351W and the later 5.0 (82and up i think) share the same firing order so you can use a wiring harness for a 89 thru 93 mustang. Also IF IF IF you can find a lower half of the intake from a early Lighting truck (they are 351w) or maybe a Ford Racing part (sold separately in 2003 catalog part # M-9461-A58) you can top it with the upper half from a 5.0 Explorer (like about 97 thru 2002, I may be off a few years) they bolt together perfect. The explorer, cobra and GT40 all share the same lower casting. The Lighting came with the Gt40 intake but the lower is wider than the 5.0. The mustang fuel rail will bolt to the lower, the explorer upper does not have egr spacer so that's not a problem, there are a 100 throttle bodies and MAF meters you can choose from, the mustang fuel pump inertia switch, all of the sensors from the 89-93 mustang will work, a inline fuel pump from ford trucks with 2 gas tanks willwork and the mustang fuel filter but these require Ford type tubing and fittings(ref ronmorrisperformance.com). If you want a trouble free installation the wiring harness is probably the most important part. A good harness to consider is from RJMinjectiontech.com . It eliminates the pollution parts without turning on the check engine light. And that is the last part I need as soon as I get the $$$. I have seen the 351w lower intake on ebay. GIve RJM a call and see if they agree with the above. You will be over a $1000 no matter which way you go.

Back