• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

5 million Zero-Emission cars in Cali by 2030

tarafied1

California will aim to put five million zero-emission cars on its roads by 2030 under an executive order signed Friday by Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown.
The new policy is a considerable expansion of the state’s efforts to reduce carbon emissions produced by vehicles, and will likely result in millions of new electric vehicles on the roads.
The move comes as Mr. Brown prepares to leave office after eight years, and is pushing to secure his legacy on the environment and burnish his image as a global leader on climate change.
Mr. Brown highlighted the goal during his annual state of the state address on Thursday.
“Zero emission, the sooner the better,” Mr. Brown said during his speech. “To meet our ambitious goals, we will need five million zero-emission vehicles on the road by 2030. Think of all the jobs that will create and how much cleaner our air will be.”
The executive order makes the goal a stated policy, and directs agencies to work with the private sector to accomplish it.
Because of the size of California’s market, its transportation regulations have a large impact on national policy and auto makers.
California regulators and Trump administration officials met to discuss for the first time the prospect of changes to vehicle-emissions rules for cars that burn fossil fuels, the Journal reported this week.
Mary Nichols, the head of the air-resources board, which sets tailpipe emissions rules that are followed by many other states, traveled to Washington on Monday to meet with U.S. officials about the regulations, people familiar with the matter told the Journal.
Current federal rules, set during the Obama administration, require auto makers to cut emissions enough so vehicles sold average more than 50 miles a gallon by 2025. That requirement is a contributing factor to companies now investing billions of dollars in developing electric vehicles.
The state already has about 350,000 zero-emission vehicles on its roads, including electric cars, according to the California Air Resources Board. There are 334,000 plug-in hybrids and 348,000 pure electric vehicles for a total of 682,000 light vehicles with plugs in operation in the U.S., according to Edmunds.
Mr. Brown signed an order in 2012 calling for 1.5 million zero-emission vehicles on California roads by 2025.
The Friday order proposes an eight-year $2.5 billion initiative that will include vehicle rebates, as well as building 250,000 vehicle-charging stations and 200 hydrogen fueling stations by 2025.
The widespread availability of such stations has been one stumbling block for the industry.
“This executive order aims to curb carbon pollution from cars and trucks and boost the number of zero-emission vehicles driven in California,” Mr. Brown said Friday.
Subsidies have also helped auto sales in California and elsewhere as electric cars remain more expensive than those that run on gasoline.
California’s current rebate of up to $2,500 for cleaner vehicles also “shows that legislators recognize there has to be some kind of subsidy in place to achieve these targets,” said Jessica Caldwell, an analyst for Edmunds, adding that “shoppers still need some kind of a carrot beyond just driving green.”
Industry sources reacted positively.
“We’re pleased to see that Governor Brown’s committed to an ambitious program to develop desperately needed infrastructure and a consistent incentive program that will give customers the confidence and encouragement to purchase zero-emission vehicles,” said Wade Newton, of the Auto Alliance.
Tesla , Inc., which has a factory in Fremont, Calif., said the move was a good one for the electric-car market, and that the announcement underscores the governor’s support of “good-paying jobs in the state.”
The state hopes to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions to 40% below 1990 levels by 2030, one of the most ambitious targets in the world. Scientists say such gases are a major contributor to climate change.
With such stringent targets, the state has long been weighing a transformation of the auto market as a key to meeting its goals.
The transportation sector accounts for about 50% of the state’s greenhouse-gas emissions and 80% of the pollution that forms smog in the state, the governor’s office said.
The state air-resources board has estimated that more than four million such vehicles would be needed to meet its emissions-reductions targets.
The governor on Friday proposed that some of the funding for his new zero-emissions-vehicle initiative come from the state’s cap-and-trade auction revenue.
California’s cap-and-trade program requires businesses here to obtain permits for greenhouse-gas emissions such as carbon dioxide.
On Friday, the governor’s Department of Finance on Friday will detail a new plan for investing $1.25 billion in proceeds generated from the state’s cap-and-trade program, the governor’s office said.
source: Wall Street Journal

while it is a good aim, I see it not fullfillable until battery technology makes a breakthrough.

I do not discount Moonbeam's aims, but is it realizable? I beg to differ as long as fuel prices remain relatively low.

Until the electric car industry can get the range of electric cars over 300 miles, it is a fallacy.

So are we going to create zero emission battery plants to build batteries for these zero emission cars? and how are we going to deal with all of these batteries when they go bad and need to be replaced....not to mention the cars when people can't afford to replace the batteries. I love it when politicians enact laws forcing technology that doesn't exist!

I am not a fan of doing away with fossil fuels but also not opposed to alternatives so long as we look at them fairly which is not done today by those pushing electric so hard. Ken is right that electric also creates environmental negatives.

As far as cars and battery replacement go I would hope that engineers are considering cell replacement in all new work. As vehicles change over to electric and full autonomy it seems only logical that the only design elements that will matter in the future will revolve around function more than style. If a "car" becomes nothing more than a means to get from "A" to "B" it would seem all anyone will care about is cost. Make them as inexpensive as possible and last as long as they can. If we really want to do away with ALL the gas powered vehicles we need to have alternative options that EVERYONE can afford. Poor people don;t buy a new car every 4-5 years. They buy a 15-20 year old car every 5-10 years. To expect them to buy new or even used electric will require there be cheap new or old that are not expensive to maintain. I don't see all of this coming together in the next 10-15 years. We are still decades out. So I'll likely be dead and really don't care!

So are we going to create zero emission battery plants to build batteries for these zero emission cars? and how are we going to deal with all of these batteries when they go bad and need to be replaced....not to mention the cars when people can't afford to replace the batteries. I love it when politicians enact laws forcing technology that doesn't exist!

Heck its what the US is great at....kick the ball down the road for another generation's problem.

And we all know electricity is made by elves....at night.....in dark secret locations.

OK...let's talk some numbers. In 2017, California's population was 39.5 million people. On average, the number of automobiles per person is 0.795 (795 per 1000). Thus, a crude estimate of the number of cars in California would be 31.4 million. Actually, California's rate is 0.755, so the number of cars in 2017 is estimated to be 29.82 million. What is being proposed is that there be 5 million zero-emission cars in California. If the population didn't change between now and 2030, there would be approximately 16.8% of the cars on the road would be zero-emissions in 2030. That doesn't seem unreasonable as a target. Remember that Volvo is going completely electric and/or hybrid in 2019. And no one is making you buy a zero-emission car in California between now and 2030, unless there is no alternative new cars on the market. You'll still be able to buy used vehicles.

Heck its what the US is great at....kick the ball down the road for another generation's problem.

And we all know electricity is made by elves....at night.....in dark secret locations.
Yep, ask an electric car owner. They are free to drive.

The range is a huge issue. I know the Tesla has a charger network out there but unless there are hundreds in one place you may be able to stop and have lunch while traveling and your car can charge. As is there are waiting lines to use chargers in places like Barstow.

So, for us an electric commuter car makes sense for Amber since we generate more power than we can use from our solar panels.

Brown is dreaming again!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

who pays for the taxes that will disappear when electric cars are on the road (18+ cents per gallon)? these taxes are used for many things, none like fixing roads, etc. This dilemma occurred with the people who were pouring vegetable oil in their diesels and not paying the federal taxes.
There is a lot to do to get electric vehicles integrated into the tax base and society. I do not see the present situation enabling this for anytime soon.

who pays for the taxes that will disappear when electric cars are on the road (18+ cents per gallon)? these taxes are used for many things, none like fixing roads, etc. This dilemma occurred with the people who were pouring vegetable oil in their diesels and not paying the federal taxes.
There is a lot to do to get electric vehicles integrated into the tax base and society. I do not see the present situation enabling this for anytime soon.

This is when the gas tax get jacked and they start charging you for every mile you drive .
Washington state is having this argument . Screw our lying governor who stated he would not raise taxes .

OK...let's talk some numbers. In 2017, California's population was 39.5 million people. On average, the number of automobiles per person is 0.795 (795 per 1000). Thus, a crude estimate of the number of cars in California would be 31.4 million. Actually, California's rate is 0.755, so the number of cars in 2017 is estimated to be 29.82 million. What is being proposed is that there be 5 million zero-emission cars in California. If the population didn't change between now and 2030, there would be approximately 16.8% of the cars on the road would be zero-emissions in 2030. That doesn't seem unreasonable as a target. Remember that Volvo is going completely electric and/or hybrid in 2019. And no one is making you buy a zero-emission car in California between now and 2030, unless there is no alternative new cars on the market. You'll still be able to buy used vehicles.
At some point zero emissions will be the goal and this will very harshly impact persons with low income was my point. The tech will need to improve extremely rapidly to reach a point that in say 20 years a used electric car that would likely require cell replacement etc. would be as affordable as a 1998 Camry is today. The other issue I see is that self-maintaining such a car might not be possible for the majority adding to the cost. All this leads me to believe we will be witnessing the demise of the current car "culture" us older farts know as normal. Shared vehicles and simple community type shuttles would seem to be poised to take over the urban landscape very soon to replace private car ownership.

I'm going to have to develop a way to refine my own fuel...

While I am not against advancement and electric vehicles, I am dumbfounded by politicians needs to mandate things well into the future. Of course my state is the league leader in idiots in control, so one would think I would be used to this by now. Brown has a history of grandstanding and asking for the moon, whether it is attainable or not is not in his mindset.

At some point zero emissions will be the goal and this will very harshly impact persons with low income was my point. The tech will need to improve extremely rapidly to reach a point that in say 20 years a used electric car that would likely require cell replacement etc. would be as affordable as a 1998 Camry is today. The other issue I see is that self-maintaining such a car might not be possible for the majority adding to the cost. All this leads me to believe we will be witnessing the demise of the current car "culture" us older farts know as normal. Shared vehicles and simple community type shuttles would seem to be poised to take over the urban landscape very soon to replace private car ownership.

I'm going to have to develop a way to refine my own fuel...
there is a way to produce synthetic fuel. The Germans did it during WWII.

Back