• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

$52 mil for a freaking Ferrari?

Stupid people are born every day, I'm living proof. :yah

I met this guy Ray at a club car show last weekend... I saw him pulling in from a distance and didn't rcognize the car. Before I left I'm glad I went over to chat with him. He built his own 250 GTO to run at the track. Not knowing a clone from a real one, I wasn't sure if I should ask why he put a small block chebby in it... anyhow, this post reminded me of it and just found this you tube video of it... Very well done and you can tell by looking it over it's driven a lot. 50+ miles from his home to the track, 2 - 3 nights a week during the good weather. For 52M I think you could build a whole lot of Ray's version and not worry about have boatloads of fun with it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwpPTU9acOQ

The GTO is one of the best looking cars...EVER. With all its racing heritage, low numbers and copies (Cobra Daytona Coupe) it's no wonder the price is sky high. That said, I'd take a clone any day of the week. It would still need to have a Ferrari engine though.

Its never about using the car for its intended purpose. These cars are strictly investment art to play with. I'm sure this guy will make his money back in a few years plus a good profit.

There is a local collector who has one of these cars and he apparently drives the piss out of his. Takes it to the store, etc. Pretty ballsy I'd say.

I know the kit still exists in one form or another, but I remember when the 250 GTO kit was introduced back in the late 70's. It consisted of a fiberglass front end assembly and rear bonded on panels. You used a 240Z as the base car. The manufacturer went so far as to offer a reproduction Ferrari interior and a kit to drop in a Ferrari motor. I read reports that the kit was so accurate you had to look close to tell it. It was featured in a number of magazines and I thought it was one of the coolest things since sliced bread! :thum

Back