• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

59 F100 Headlights

janschutz

Corn Hauler
The headlights on my wife's 59 F100 are way too dim. It has a 4 headlight setup. I bought a Led headlight kit for it. Someone has splice all the wires and they are all black. The Dim lights have a 3 wire connector and the brights have a 2 wire connector. The headlight kit does not have directions so I need some tips on doing the hookups.

Watching this as I plan to convert my 67 c10 to modern headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaving everything wired as is but pulling the connectors off the existing lights, use a meter to find which wire in both the normal and high beam connector is ground. On the high beam light the lead that isn't ground is obviously the power lead for high beams. After that, just turn the lights on and see which wire has voltage on the normal connector. The other is the high beam power. Now that you know which wire is which for all just hook up the new stuff.

Does it include a relay box? I’ve been looking at kits on EBay for a 7inch headlight. Mostly been looking at HID units. I want good headlights as I commute thru national forest and deer are plentiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The headlights on my wife's 59 F100 are way too dim. It has a 4 headlight setup. I bought a Led headlight kit for it. Someone has splice all the wires and they are all black. The Dim lights have a 3 wire connector and the brights have a 2 wire connector. The headlight kit does not have directions so I need some tips on doing the hookups.
It occurs to me that a 60 year old headlight switch is probably working at something less than 100% efficiency and could stand replacing as part of your upgrade.

You don't need to use relays post switch for LEDs as their draw is minimal in comparison to original bulbs but it doesn't hurt. If you incorporate a small led in the relay power connection from the switch output it can serve as a visual indication that the switch is functioning to aid in troubleshooting down the road though.

Back