• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

$6 clutch pedal bearing conversion

SELLERSRODSHOP

i'm in the process of rebuilding the pedal assembly that burned in the fire & decided to convert to bearings for the clutch pedal instead of the stock setup which consists of the potmetal bushings with plastic sleeves. i found a pair of radial bearings at tractor supply for $3 ea. that have 5/8" inside diameter holes that fit the pedal shaft.

http://wedo.hillmangroup.com/item/produ ... gs/58114-e?

i cut the original potmetal bushings out & opened up the holes to fit the bearings, checked alignment with the pedal & tacked them in place. they are 1/4" narrower than the stock bushings, so a small spacer will be in order on the outside & i will also add a sleeve between the bearings on the inside. if everything works well, it should be a cheaper alternative to the kits on the market now which i think run about $40.

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

Awesome, very nice work. Cool that you were able to save the pedal support.

Just curious, but did the pot metal bushings melt in the fire?

I think the reason the kits on the market are more expensive, at least the one I've seen, is that there is a sleeve larger than the bearing that is welded to the support, then the bearing fits in the sleeve and is held in place by a snap ring. If the bearing goes bad, its replaceable. So you have a few more parts and then the retail profit factor.

Yes, I was also wondering about welding the bearing directly to the support. Is there enough heat generated from the tack that can disrupt the bearing?

"sigtauenus" said:
Awesome, very nice work. Cool that you were able to save the pedal support.

Just curious, but did the pot metal bushings melt in the fire?

I think the reason the kits on the market are more expensive, at least the one I've seen, is that there is a sleeve larger than the bearing that is welded to the support, then the bearing fits in the sleeve and is held in place by a snap ring. If the bearing goes bad, its replaceable. So you have a few more parts and then the retail profit factor.

the potmetal bushings didn't melt, but one had a groove worn in from 40 yrs of use, so figured it would be really hard on those thin plastic sleeves. actually, i managed to save everything that burned except for the brake booster, clutch master cylinder , rubber pedal pads & the plastic sleeves on the power brake pedal shaft.

"cmayna" said:
Yes, I was also wondering about welding the bearing directly to the support. Is there enough heat generated from the tack that can disrupt the bearing?

these bearings have a flange on them, so with a small tack weld to the flange on a low heat setting there is no damage. the sleeve i will use on the pedal shaft between the bearings should also help hold the bearings into position & keep stress to a minimum.

"buening" said:
Where were you 8 months ago when I paid $40 for my kit :rant

8 months ago?? lets see... i was hunting for my pedal assembly in here somewhere :sm_BBQ

IMG_2452.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back