• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

64 1/2 Fender Extensions

Dan Hendrix

Quick background: I'm restoring a 64 1/2 Mustang (Apr 64 build). The car had a 65 hood when I got it due to a previous wreck. I bought a 64 1/2 hood to keep it more original. I did not realize that the fender extensions were different too. The car has 65 (non-beveled) fender extensions. I'm looking for reasonable beveled extensions but have not have any success. It's going to the paint shop in a month.

My question for the group. If I can't find the beveled extensions, will the 64 1/2 hood fit properly with a non-beveled fender extension?

Last edited:
Non-Beveled "later 65" Fender Extension
sharpedge.jpg

Beveled "early-65" Fender extension
curvededge.jpg

I have a September 1964 built 65 Mustang with half the parts being for a 64 1/2. I have one of each of the bezels. It has a 64 1/2 hood on it. It works, but you can really see where the hood does not line up with the side that has the 65 part on it.

Most ’64-1/2 Mustangs had this unimproved hood leading edge. The hood was coined the “’64-1/2 hood” by hobbyists, but not all ’64-1/2 Mustangs were fitted with this hood. Indy Pace Car hardtops, for example, weren’t fitted with this hood, and most promotional vehicles weren’t, either.
p60173_image_large.jpg

Examine this sharp edge and you begin to understand that it is a hood lip that hasn’t been crimped (folded under). This was a stamping die issue for Ford’s Dearborn stamping plant.
p60174_image_large.jpg

The unimproved hood leading edge created a clearance problem with the headlamp bezel, which is why ’64-1/2 Mustangs had this beveled bezel. Even ’64-1/2 Mustangs with the improved hood had these beveled bezels. And believe it or not, some borderline units had both—beveled on one side and nonbeveled on the other.

Read more: http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/mustang-1964/#ixzz3bE8eEpXT
Follow us: @ModMustangs on Twitter | ModMustangsandFords on Facebook

Back